PDA

View Full Version : Summoner Questions (again)

Jute
12-10-2007, 07:44 AM
I've made it to level 44 now on my Elemental Summoner. My pony still seems pretty weak but I don't have all the buff books yet, so that may be part of it. I did have a couple of questions however,

First, in other games there has been a setting to have your pet/summons attack whatever is attacking you. Basically a guard mode. I don't see anything like that for Lineage II. Is there such a thing?

What is your main source of C grade crystals? Do you farm mats and get a dwarf to make you stuff to crush? Or do you buy them outright? Do you try to buy equipment at reasonable prices to crush? Any other method?

I'd really like to thank those of you who are so sharing with your knowledge here. I've learned so much just reading the posts.

Champa
12-10-2007, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First, in other games there has been a setting to have your pet/summons attack whatever is attacking you. Basically a guard mode. I don't see anything like that for Lineage II. Is there such a thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

No such thing in L2, I'm afraid.

[ QUOTE ]
What is your main source of C grade crystals? Do you farm mats and get a dwarf to make you stuff to crush? Or do you buy them outright? Do you try to buy equipment at reasonable prices to crush? Any other method?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to just put up buy shop over night, buying them cheap, hoping for a poor over-enchant addict to come by :D
I also keep an eye out for cheap c/d gear to crush.

Jute
12-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Oh..and how many Crystals do you usually try to keep on you when you are headed out for a session?

Champa
12-10-2007, 08:15 AM
I like to have at least 500 c cry on me at any time - it's more than enough for one session, but man it would suck to run out all of a sudden hehe (I don't recall how many I typically use per session - my ES is just about to wake up from her hiatus :)). I'm not quite as **** with d cry, since they aren't an absolute necessity.

Jute
12-10-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm still somewhat confused by the differences between the ponies. It seemed like the Summoner Guide written by Gravethorn said it didn't really matter which pony you used, it was more a preference thing. But most people seem to be recommending Mirage as the bread and butter leveler pony.

So aside from the obvious experience slice differences, what do you see the main role of each pony as? And which one do you recommend I level with?

Nanashi_Naomhan
12-10-2007, 09:01 AM
like i said last time you should really benuking until the low if not high 50's

depending on tax rate you can just buy D grade gear from giran (or other towns if giran tax is 12+%) and dual elven*elven swords for C crys and have your friendly neighborhood WS crush them for you
if you are to set up shop to buy crystals a reasonable price would be 2900 for C and 600 for D, you can buy for lower or higher depending on how desperate you are for crystals

Jute
12-10-2007, 09:33 AM
I do appreciate your viewpoint and I understand nuking is the fastest way to level, but I don't mind going slower.

Sunspark
12-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Mirage? That one eats 90% XP lol, its a pvp pony.

Boxer is a nono too, eats 30% XP (atm)

It's a no-brainer you have to use Merrow, the melee pony with an AOE nuke.

In short:

Mirage: Nuker pony, pvp only
Boxer: Old original (prelude to C2) pony, regens your mana
Merrow: C3 pony, melee and AOE nuke. Higher evasion, runspeed and patk than Boxer
Seraphim: Buff pony for in magic orientated teams, has little to no attack powers
Magnus: When you get this I will not have to give you any ES information (lvl 79)

Champa
12-10-2007, 10:36 AM
I always, always use merrow for DD play (seraphim in parties that benefit from it). Mirage (the 90% xp thief) when xp is irrellevant (quest, fishing). Merrow has higher p.atk than boxer and obviously doesn't leech as much xp, and boxer (recharger) has more HP IIRC - I don't remember what the differences in p.def are. I guess boxer is nice if you must be somewhere you need the recharges, for one reason or another.

When you hit your 50s (52+ best, probably) you can start experimenting with merrow AoE. But I reccomend you bring a prophet, because its casting speed is just pitiful without acumen (zerk if you want, as well) - a BD is also a nice partner for this.
I tried Tanor Canyon when they became white for me, but pony was clearly not ready still :o So I put the AoE on the shelf till I was high enough for Skyshadow Meadow. -Which is a much better place too for an ES, because the mobs there are easier to kite. The early parts anyway.

Jute
12-10-2007, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mirage? That one eats 90% XP lol, its a pvp pony.

Boxer is a nono too, eats 30% XP (atm)

It's a no-brainer you have to use Merrow, the melee pony with an AOE nuke.

In short:

Mirage: Nuker pony, pvp only
Boxer: Old original (prelude to C2) pony, regens your mana
Merrow: C3 pony, melee and AOE nuke. Higher evasion, runspeed and patk than Boxer
Seraphim: Buff pony for in magic orientated teams, has little to no attack powers
Magnus: When you get this I will not have to give you any ES information (lvl 79)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh okay I got the name wrong... My pony will be unhappy with me. Merrow is the one I was thinking of not Mirage...

Sunspark
12-11-2007, 03:47 AM
Ah okies, just give your pwny an extra carrot err crystal and go back to pure ponyage.

tseralyn
12-11-2007, 12:52 PM
One thing I found that works when you have two or more mobs hitting you and the unicorn,put /next target on your hotkey,then pets attack button on hotkey beside it.
To figure out cost and crystals/shots needed for you,write down all numbers of each,then have summons hit mobs for 20 mns(buff round),then record numbers again.

MysticLance
12-18-2007, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
pure ponyage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had a word to describe "pure ponyage" that I decided it's time to share with the world.

Pwny.

I think that describes it all. :)

Jute
12-18-2007, 05:18 AM
I got a chance to really play my pony over the weekend and I have to say I am in love! The pony is awesome! My boyfriend's gladiator and my pony could keep a large room in Catacomb of the Branded clear when the spawn was insanely fast.

I know I will eventually fall behind in XP if I can't level in addition to when we play together, but I really liked playing the Summoner.

Trensharo
12-30-2007, 04:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I always, always use merrow for DD play (seraphim in parties that benefit from it). Mirage (the 90% xp thief) when xp is irrellevant (quest, fishing). Merrow has higher p.atk than boxer and obviously doesn't leech as much xp, and boxer (recharger) has more HP IIRC - I don't remember what the differences in p.def are. I guess boxer is nice if you must be somewhere you need the recharges, for one reason or another.

When you hit your 50s (52+ best, probably) you can start experimenting with merrow AoE. But I reccomend you bring a prophet, because its casting speed is just pitiful without acumen (zerk if you want, as well) - a BD is also a nice partner for this.
I tried Tanor Canyon when they became white for me, but pony was clearly not ready still :o So I put the AoE on the shelf till I was high enough for Skyshadow Meadow. -Which is a much better place too for an ES, because the mobs there are easier to kite. The early parts anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can start AoE'ing at level 40 with Merrow.

Champa
12-30-2007, 04:27 AM
Where would you go at 40?

Sunspark
12-31-2007, 04:09 AM
Just because you can AOE doesn't mean it's good XP lol.

Trensharo
01-13-2008, 10:32 AM
The XP is good. I can kill 5 mobs for 4.2k XP each at level 40 in 25 seconds, which is much faster than single target and they respawn 15 seconds later.

100% uptime.

KuroBear
01-20-2008, 07:59 AM
where?

AlexisV
03-04-2008, 02:12 PM
I'd like to ask what the penalty is on the ES' 10% servitor.

I know that I receive 'Contract Payment' which reduces my mana regeneration significantly, but what penalty do the other summoners receive? Or is it just Phantom Summoners that are being picked on?

Physics4ever
03-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Nothing, the contract payment is due to soulless having 2 skills as opposed to one. I do believe Merrow is a light armor type though so less pdef and more evasion.

AlexisV
03-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Wow, I'm pizzed now. Should have gone ES.

Xentheous
03-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Best leveling for you info i had was:
40-46 Ivory Tower pit can clean house down their fast and easy. On top the quest for the area is nice i got 3 c armor enchants just leveling alone.
46-50 Around Ivory Tower on the formers and such easy quick exp fast respawn rate and coin quest mobs aswell. Drop a decent amount of key mats fro chain hood/shield/eldrake/dwarven chain.
49-52 easy aoe mobs around giran in tanor canyon, are quick with merrew, warehouse medals drop of them and sbs which on dev go for 1m each. 1 Merrew nuke + 1 AOE flame strike and they all drop (with shots for both of course ^^)

That should get you to b grade after that if you like aoeing go to skyshadow meadow outside of oren nice group mobs out there that are not agro. But are friendly to one another.

Next once through those for aoe mobs would be ancient battleground.

Think thats best imo but my summoner hasnt gotten to the point of ancient battleground so not sure how that would work. ATM at 51 i can two shot full groups in skyshadow slower than tanor canyon for exp and more mana consuming.

Sunspark
03-17-2008, 03:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing, the contract payment is due to soulless having 2 skills as opposed to one. I do believe Merrow is a light armor type though so less pdef and more evasion.

[/ QUOTE ]

he has the evasion of a light armour type, but all other stats are the same (including pdef). Thats why nonES summoners are sometimes angry at merrow :p (just like a WW-ed cat having the same runspeed as a non-WWed pony, guess they wanted horses to be fast)

Physics4ever
03-17-2008, 07:04 AM
no no, i hate you guys because of contract payment...

Celestas
05-01-2008, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've made it to level 44 now on my Elemental Summoner. My pony still seems pretty weak but I don't have all the buff books yet, so that may be part of it. I did have a couple of questions however,[ QUOTE ]

pony will be weak till u hit 52 onwards. i suggest u nuke ur way up to that lvl.

[ QUOTE ]
First, in other games there has been a setting to have your pet/summons attack whatever is attacking you. Basically a guard mode. I don't see anything like that for Lineage II. Is there such a thing?[ QUOTE ]

no. except for higher lvl i heard. Excessive Loyalty or something like that. lvl 81 skill i believe.

[ QUOTE ]
What is your main source of C grade crystals? Do you farm mats and get a dwarf to make you stuff to crush? Or do you buy them outright? Do you try to buy equipment at reasonable prices to crush? Any other method?[ QUOTE ]

u either make a lvl 40 warsmith or have a lvl40 warsmith friend to break C items for ya.
i have a warsmith in my account, so i buy crimson sword and elven sword and combine them thru the blacksmith in giran town to make the lowest C duals. then break them. each dual is like 700-800 c crystals.

exiber
06-18-2008, 09:34 PM
If you learn how to set up macros, you can combine ES attacks with summon attacks into one hot-key button. Im doing that at lvl 21 in the NOS and it works very nice. I have one macro for initial attack, including Boxer, and a 2d one with battle heal, target next, attack. I have also learned that beast shot + beast spirit shot, doubles+ on Boxer's attacks making him a real help. Admittedly I have also inherited a fine ELS sword, but my nukes and Boxer's attacks are what really bring them down.

Blauw
06-19-2008, 05:49 AM
lvl 40 - shouldnt use summon to xp unless u need recharge seems silly o.O;

Mariah
06-19-2008, 10:37 AM
I've been using my summons and my ES is 45.
I'd much rather learn how to use them at low levels when I can make stupid mistakes and die by myself, rather than in front of other people. >.<

M

Trensharo
06-20-2008, 06:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
lvl 40 - shouldnt use summon to xp unless u need recharge seems silly o.O;

[/ QUOTE ]

It's silly to think it silly, and who uses Recharge Summon to XP?

Summoners XP fast with their 10% servitors. I've done ES and Warlock to B Grade and it is hardly worth playing your summoner like a nuker just to XP a bit faster, IMO. Summoner is one of the archetypes that are actually fun to play. Let's not promote dumbing it down, please.

Blauw
06-20-2008, 09:04 AM
when u run out of mp during xp u can summon ur recharge summon to recharge urself then unsummon.

I said 40- not talking bout ES,PS or Warlock

Gratz on lvling ur es and warlock to B grade? Didnt say summons aint fun just 40-48 nuking is ofcourse faster and most ppl wanna lvl quick or get summon friend pet.

So yes i think at 21 lvling with summon out is silly.

Smittie
06-22-2008, 06:16 PM
He means pre-40 with that 40- thing.

exiber
06-23-2008, 01:09 AM
Hey, I work with Boxer in my 20s - its not about leveling per se, but surviving and having fun! I can do a whole session in the NOS in one large room with Boxer, and I almost don't need the MP help at all. But between my nukes and his strength, esp with some beast shot/spirit shot, we are awesome!

Trensharo
06-23-2008, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gratz on lvling ur es and warlock to B grade?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I was getting tired of having to run me and my buffers to XP Spots :(

Smittie
06-24-2008, 02:19 AM
Noble summmoner is easier.

Blauw
06-24-2008, 11:44 AM
not at non noble spots =o

Smittie
06-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Well it sure aint harder lol.