PDA

View Full Version : Tats for a SWS

Andoland
01-23-2009, 03:41 AM
Im sure plenty of you have you thoughts and im sure this has prob been posted and started flame wars but seriously i would like to know what tat configs people have used and why. i dont care if you tanked anthras with your sws or w/e i'm just wanting to know why you set your tats up the way you did.

thanks

ManicMonday
01-23-2009, 08:32 AM
I'm sure plenty of you have you thoughts and I'm sure this has prob been posted and started flame wars but seriously i would like to know what tat configs people have used and why. i don't care if you tanked Antharas with your sws or w/e I'm just wanting to know why you set your tats up the way you did.

thanks
I went for +4 Str / -4 Con.

Read this: http://l2vault.ign.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Swordsinger_Guides

Mariah
01-23-2009, 02:09 PM
I went +4DEX, -4 CON.
Why? Dang if I know. Crits and speed are nice?
Thats the only one I've got.

M

Kokoro
01-23-2009, 03:21 PM
I use +4 STR/-4 CON and +4 DEX/-4 CON.

I wanted to maximize my SWS' damage output. The +STR and +DEX help increase...
* my damage per blow
* accuracy
* crit chance
* attack speed.

In addition, it increases my evasion and run speed.

I think that these synergize well with some of the songs SWS gets.
* Song of Hunter increases crit chance, which is made better by +DEX.
* Song of Wind increases run speed, which is made better by +DEX.
* Song of Water increases evasion, which is made better by +DEX.
* Song of Vitality increases max HP, which helps compensate for the -CON.

For my SWS, I do not use a shield. We do not get most of the shield bonuses that other tanking classes (such as TK and Paladin) have. As such, a shield is only so-so useful. So, instead of receiving -8 Evasion from a shield, I avoid the shield and instead, try to increase my evasion as high as possible (with song, agility buff, and +DEX).

Since I don't carry a shield, I go with 2-handed swords for more soul-shot cost-effective damage.

SWS is also not what I consider a tanking class. The only Heavy Armor masteries SWS have come from their levels as an Elven Fighter and Elven Knight... not from SWS levels. So, while SWS can never have more than 15 Heavy Armor masteries total, other tanking classes receive 52 of these masteries.

As such.... if an SWS is not a meat shield, then I figure I will try to focus on 2 things...
* Buffer (via songs)
* Do as much damage as I can.

As such, I went with the +4 STR and +4 DEX tattoos... to maximize my damage output.

Rikhar
01-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Nice...true that sws was some flaws, but its like all races...in some things we are better, like dex and crit, and others not, like con and strenght. We have to live with that...but i really liked what i have read here...thks guys!

Ps: anyone selling these tats?:D

Draecke
01-27-2009, 10:20 AM
you can buy them from Mammon trader with ancient adena or spent time looking for them on the market, check giran for dye shops..

my personal set up is 5+ STR 5- CON as the biggest handicap a sws has is it's damage output, no dex tats as the increase on the related stats is really marginal to outweigh the decrease of HP.. if you're just purely PVE then by all means go ahead and add 4+ DEX 4- CON

the choice of gear varies to a few things like budget and personal taste :P
- most economical is going with a twohanded weapon as that is pretty cheap in SS cost and if nice oe still has decent damage output
- most common is sword/oe dagger & shield as the higher the attack speed the faster you can put songs up and with an oe focus dagger it's easy to reach a high crit rate etc. and a shield does help a lot as you would be surprised how much damage you block, on Hellbound I block more then 50% of all attacks..
- ultime pvp set up is oe sword & shield, oe drac bow and haste dagger for fast skill reuse etc.

anyways a nice site to check all kinds of set ups gear & tats wise is: http://l2calc.l2blah.com/

- google L2Calc v1.10 if the link gets censored ^^

Larena
01-27-2009, 04:28 PM
I used +5 Str, +4 dex -9 con until I was 77, then I switched to IC from tallum and got a +1 dex indead of the +4. This gave me 5 less dex but 5 more con, I haven't noticed the loss of dex but have noticed the increase in hp. As much str as possible is required for PvE, the change in damage is quite significant.

ManicMonday
01-27-2009, 06:24 PM
I used +5 Str, +4 dex -9 con until I was 77, then I switched to IC from tallum and got a +1 dex indead of the +4. This gave me 5 less dex but 5 more con, I haven't noticed the loss of dex but have noticed the increase in hp. As much str as possible is required for PvE, the change in damage is quite significant.

Did you find Tallum to be better than Majestic Heavy?

Kratos
01-27-2009, 11:12 PM
I personally prefer a more offensive sws so it is easier to solo if i have to, so I would go +4str/-4con. You can raise dex if you want too, but I find that having extremely low con can be annoying.

If you want to pvp, I would go for a more defensive setup. A sws's only responsibility in pvp (the way i see it) is to stay alive in order to keep songs up, so it would make sense to raise con as high as possible.

Draecke
01-28-2009, 10:03 AM
depends on the type of pvp you get into most of the time but in general a sws is the last person to go down and by that time it really doesn't matter if you're defensive build so imo just go with offensive and take down a few robe users just remember to brez your own healers when needed :)

Larena
01-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Did you find Tallum to be better than Majestic Heavy?

I like Tallum more then Majestic, the +8% attack speed is great for being able to sync well with a BD and gives you more dps then the patk increase on majestic. More hits are more chances to crit. The difference in pdef didn't feel strong enough to make up for the difference in dps+VR. With -11 con (my Ag build after armor bonus) stunners were always a problem but +50% of almost no stun resist didn’t help much.

If you are hunting higher level mobs (ie. your normal hunting partners out level you) then majestic's +acc combined with the patk might be useful, the pdef would matter more too.

As an SwS there is no point to build for PvP until Sg - just stay in the back, keep up songs and only attack after chaos has ensued.

ManicMonday
01-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the advice there, I suppose I will have to start picking up pieces of Tallum here and there or simply go for some crafts. I have a clan but they rarely go out in organized xp groups so I'm left to essentially solo and do the occasional raid boss/kama.

Currently running +4Str/-4con, Majestic Heavy / Nightmare Shield and a +8 Kesh Focus with a + Crit Augment.

I know I should be using a better weapon but every time I go to buy something A grade I go a little crazy and throw another + on the kesh, it's worked like a charm 5 times thus far but who knows how long my luck will hold.

As far as getting an A grade goes when I either get the Kesh to +10 (then it's Sale time :p ) or wind up blowing it up (more likely) what would be a good choice? Strictly pve, mind you. I do enjoy having a shield but would give it up in a heartbeat if I thought that another weapon would provide superior killspeed.

Kratos
01-28-2009, 10:41 PM
From what I've seen on posts similar to this, the best A-grade weapon for a sws would be a bloody orchid. Put focus on it and with hunter you will be getting an incredible amount of crits.

Personally, however, I've always like using 2h swords. You end up using less SS and they just look cool:). If you choose this option take an infernal master focus.

Some people have also used duals and claim that they work well. I can't confirm this, but there's another option if you want to try it out.

I'm pretty sure, however, that you will achieve maximum kill speed with a focus dagger.

Rikhar
01-30-2009, 10:19 AM
I tried, for reading in a lot of foruns that for an sws focus is better! i had tried with a dagger sa focus, and i hate to tell, i quickly put it away, and went back to my sls sa crit! cause we dont have any physical atack, our superior crit IS our physical! or im rong?

Larena
01-30-2009, 05:27 PM
While I really like daggers on a SwS I think the dps is about the same as it is with a two-hander if the two-hander has focus at least.

Through borrowing and trading weapons while in Ag I have tried a BO(focus), SS(Acc & CD), DLE(CD & HP), and IM(Focus). As expected the crit. damage SA doesn't compare to focus and the acc & hp SAs don't do much for PvE at all.

A dagger's very fast attack makes it much easier to sync well with a BD and helps get arrest off quickly. Song of Hunter adds 40 more crit. rate to a dagger then a sword, giving 80 more crit rate with a dagger vs. sword with the same buffs/SA. Our sword masteries add ~80 patk before buffs at level 74. This means a dagger is worse than a sword without song of hunter. Being able to use a shield with a dagger also helps defense.

The SS usage is noticeably higher with a dagger compared to a two-hander but at Ag those are the only two options for reasonable DPS.

Duals are crazy for a SwS, our masteries don't apply and they have the same stats as a two-hander. If you have them already you can kill stuff with them but not a weapon to work towards. Probably better then a blunt though (at 80 crit. rate less than a sword with hunter). :p

I swear I posted something like this yesterday but it isn't here. :(

Mgz
02-01-2009, 04:09 PM
my tat is

-3 con +3 str
-2 dex + 2 str
-5 int +4wit (optional)

work pretty good for me in a pvp oriented clan. Still decent CON to carry CP pot/bow with IC heavy

i don't really care about run speed/crit rate because I have song of wind/hunter already.

but if you don't have to pvp, -9con +5str +4dex = best.