PDA

View Full Version : PvP Tank?

nabrass
07-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Could it work? I was thinking the temple knight because it has self heals and cubics. However would a pally work better? Or is is more effective to go with DA or SK because they can damage and heal with the same skill?

Or is being a tank in PvP useless in this game?

Smittie
07-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Tanks has its uses in pvp, dont worry.

Id say go human tank though, shield stun can be **** annoying to opponents.

Keleka
07-19-2009, 05:48 AM
thats everyone's favorite that sheild slam pls slam away and leave the TK alone. Or find the TK's strenght and be more annoying then just slamming.

But w/e thats why there's so many DA/SK/Pali's in this game :D

H4T3MONG3R
07-19-2009, 06:15 AM
my totally unbias opinion is that human tanks are S*** heads...
really nobody is going to attack you much in pvp till everyone else is dead, even when hate lands they will change targets and kill squishys 1st.
so run around stunin,debuffin,healin,party UD etc. while nobody pays much attetion to ya.
wichever tank you decide on carry a bow for pvp

Smittie
07-19-2009, 10:01 AM
thats everyone's favorite that sheild slam pls slam away and leave the TK alone. Or find the TK's strenght and be more annoying then just slamming.

But w/e thats why there's so many DA/SK/Pali's in this game :D

What debuffs are the TK's strength? How do you annoy the opponent better than shield stun and shield slam?

Keleka
07-20-2009, 09:00 AM
We don't really have any TBH.

Shield bash they works ok and fast re-use time at lvl 77.

Entangle, Arrest OE'd are Decent and slighty annoying. Our high run spd that allows us to chase or be chased :D. A cube that may root at random :D, " I wont speak of the 80 cube don't have it yet". Hp cube that keeps us alive a bit longer to get in re-direct dmg.

Either way it's how you play your toon I guess. And since most poeple like the idea of shield stun as a way to be offensive/defensive, then go with it.

So to really sum it up no we don't have D-buff's. We have speed, but who does'nt have that right :D

but I think most Tanks arent suppose to do nothing more then cast out defense bubble's and protect the group. This kinda goes for any Tank really your more annoying when you keep your party alive.

Overall I think all tank's are fun and are all annoying in thier own way :D

bel
07-21-2009, 06:09 AM
due to shield stun, you can rock! (with boss jewelry of course)

__Terry__
07-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Changing target after a mass hate is not that simple after a vegngance you will have 10 or more people locked on you, just do aoe hate and its almost perma lock. Last sieges every time i did that i ended up with 10 more people hitting me till death for more then 20 seconds, and thats a lot of time.

Another thing that a tanker can do its to mark the target, TK can make the role as a laser pointer system, choose your target, it went locked, the rest of your party kill it fast, if you are in a mage/archer party its like hate > target dead > choose another > target dead.

Keleka
07-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Lazer pointer is mainly what I had in mind :D

a nice entangle too or root and kite back. That same Idea is what I do for Chimera's.

Overall I agree with Terry 100% :D

Reflex_Point
07-22-2009, 01:42 PM
my totally unbias opinion is that human tanks are S*** heads...
really nobody is going to attack you much in pvp till everyone else is dead, even when hate lands they will change targets and kill squishys 1st.
so run around stunin,debuffin,healin,party UD etc. while nobody pays much attetion to ya.
wichever tank you decide on carry a bow for pvp

Winner post..!!

I used to be a tank that had health SA on weapon, and +5 CON, but the truth is that any pvper knows that tanks are normally the last ones to be attacked in pvp. Now, I have Focus SA and +4STR and because people think the same way than H4T3MONG3R does tanks can make difference in pvp while being ignored. A good tank knows that hate on a nuker and use shield deflect magic after that is the best way to go. I am 78 HK and reflected 6-7k back to 82+ DDs after using hate and shield deflect magic. It pretty much depends how you play your character.

Keleka
07-22-2009, 01:50 PM
I went the +STR route too and won't look back. ima speed junky when it come to my tank.

Also yes reflects are nasty

Galendal
07-25-2009, 03:23 AM
Paly is in my opinion very good in pvp. Angelic icon+ToL and kill kill kill.
DA is a close second with almost same debuffs (+ToD) and panther addiing some decent damge.
ST is also good, especially at high lvls.
ET (TK) is the worst tank in pvp. Less hp/cp, less patt, less pdef, no shield stun, you basically go with shield bash, hate, tribunal. Due to higher dexterity the TK only strength is hunting/hurrassing archers. Idk what you are saying about aoe hate, you got something wrong. Either you were fighting against a graders, or something else happened. Mass hate is weaker than single target hate and single target hate does not land that much against high lvl toons. Also the reuse is huge.

It is clear that the TK needs something more in pvp. Be it a unique party protection skill or some new defensive passive to make him specialized against nukers or daggers or smthing. The fact that he has self buffs, helps a lot in oly (at least so I hear), but they don't provide any help in pvp, except if the become stackable.

__Terry__
07-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Of course we will fight people weaker and higher at the same time, if you draw the attention of 10 A graders, will be 10 A graders locked on you that will die faster, if in the midle of this mass you lock 2 or 3 s graders it will be less S graders killing your party. Worked for me every time.

toomanynames
08-03-2009, 11:09 PM
I sorta had a somewhat similar situation.

I have a friend that wants me to tank for some sort of static rb group.

I had an almost 40 character around I was going to make an sws with but could easily be converted to tk.

But the more I think about it the idea of sinking the time into lvling a class that is mediocre/bad for pvp just for pve seems really painful in a game as pvp based as L2. Maybe I should tell him I don't think I'm up for tanking? Or maybe pvp as a tank isn't as bad as I'm thinking it is?

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

__Terry__
08-04-2009, 03:53 PM
If you understand that tankers are mediocre just cause you have trouble killing people, better never start one so.

You can kill a few classes as a tanker, but your role is to endure what others can't, if you know your place your pvp will be far from mediocre.

Ech
08-06-2009, 08:00 AM
My role in our party when we pvp is not to kill. It is to keep the enemy DD's of our healers back. Hate - Shield Bash - Arrest, rinse and repeat. Throw in a party UD when needed. I don't get any pvp points, but it's sure as hell keeps the party alive.

If you as a tank goes in to a pvp thinking that you are going to kill anything, you better reroll. That's not the your job, it's the DD's job. Your job is to keep your party alive and harass the enemy DD's long enough for your DD's to finish the job.

It's fun as hell to see the enemy daggers run for your healer -hate - and see him running for you instead. Even if you only focus on one enemy DD, it will be one DD less for your party to worry about.

AshleyHunter
08-06-2009, 08:22 AM
I watch a SK one time run in on a Group of 5 and was focus on this one Dagger that he was trying 2 kill while the other 4 were trying kill him. The dagger would not flag and kept running. Then the SK got Lighting Strike to land this was before the nerf of course. The SK then UD and beat the crap out of the S grade dagger till he pked Dagger (while the other 4 were still attacking him) and then he BSOE out.

Was a funny thing 2 watch. ;)

NForcR
08-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Paly is in my opinion very good in pvp. Angelic icon+ToL and kill kill kill.
DA is a close second with almost same debuffs (+ToD) and panther addiing some decent damge.
ST is also good, especially at high lvls.
ET (TK) is the worst tank in pvp. Less hp/cp, less patt, less pdef, no shield stun, you basically go with shield bash, hate, tribunal. Due to higher dexterity the TK only strength is hunting/hurrassing archers. Idk what you are saying about aoe hate, you got something wrong. Either you were fighting against a graders, or something else happened. Mass hate is weaker than single target hate and single target hate does not land that much against high lvl toons. Also the reuse is huge.

It is clear that the TK needs something more in pvp. Be it a unique party protection skill or some new defensive passive to make him specialized against nukers or daggers or smthing. The fact that he has self buffs, helps a lot in oly (at least so I hear), but they don't provide any help in pvp, except if the become stackable.

Maybe some day speak with Eruan from Phoenix Server or watch some of his PvP and Oly matches. You will have much better thought for TK's. TK's can rock if played by skilled people who know how to play their class.

Zakari
08-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Maybe some day speak with Eruan from Phoenix Server or watch some of his PvP and Oly matches. You will have much better thought for TK's. TK's can rock if played by skilled people who know how to play their class.

Sorry for being a slightly off-topic but where can I find his videos and where can I download them? Thanks!

edit: oh snap I misread your post >< I thought he had fraps of his oly matches. On bartz, there are 2 ETs that are quite good (in oly): DefenseMechanism and KILLAHKING.

Galendal
08-13-2009, 06:31 AM
Oly and open pvp is a completely different thing. Most classes will need a lot of time to kill the TK. The TK is good in oly because of self buffs.

Hate does not land very often on high lvl toons, except if it is highly oed. So if you belong to the server dominant clan and fighting against lowbies, then sure your hate will land and you will be able to protect your party one way or the other. When fighting against higher lvl toons, then your stun does not land often, your hate does not land often, all you can do basicaly is party ud (if you are fast enough, since daggers take healers down in 3 hits and usually land behind them with shadow step), tribunal, hate (in case it lands) shield bash (in case it lands), aoe hate (lands even more rarely than single hate).

Also if the enemy is not very experienced they may target the tank first, which if the tank plays well, will give time to his party to retaliate. During the chaos of mass pvp lots of people have targeted me first, either because I am nearer, or because I am hitting them, who then die to my party who assists on my target. Ofcourse there have been times when I have not had time to cast ud (3 enemy nukers- 2-3 hits each, 6-8 seconds later you are dead).

Reflex_Point
08-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Hate does not land very often on high lvl toons, except if it is highly oed...[...]...your hate does not land often,

Welcome to "Gracia Final". Hate is 100% change target on PVP regardless the level difference and does not need to be crazzy oe'ed anymore.
74 hate (+0 hate) skill changes target even on a lvl 85 toon... confirmed.

Link down below.

http://www.lineage2.com/news/graciafinal_05.html

" The effect of Aggression and Aura of Hate are now maximized. Also, it now has 100% chance of changing enemy's target on PvP."

GF

Kahena
08-19-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm a bit confused. I have a Temple Knight and I haven't done PvP at all yet. So if someone could clarify this for me, I'd mean a lot to me.

Can you actually use 'Hate aura' and 'Aggression' in PvP to make them target you instead?

__Terry__
08-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Yes but it must fill one of this condictions: the target is flaged, on duels or at all kind of sieges.

Reflex_Point
08-20-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm a bit confused. I have a Temple Knight and I haven't done PvP at all yet. So if someone could clarify this for me, I'd mean a lot to me.

Can you actually use 'Hate aura' and 'Aggression' in PvP to make them target you instead?

YES, as matter of fact... that is your job as tank - protect your group members. In pvp, when people are pink/purple (flagged) you use hate on them and they will change target on you to attack you. That is going to give time to your DDs (damage dealers) to do their job and kill the enemy. Any damage dealer / nuker can tell you know annoying is having a tank changing your target during massive pvp and with luck your hate has chance to lock target on your for 3 seconds.... very very annoying.

Ech
08-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Overenchant with Expose and it's even more annoying ;)