Lineage II Forums  
Go Back   Lineage II Forums > Technical Discussions > General Technical Issues

Login

General Technical Issues Describe your client-side, hardware or software complications. This is not a place to report game bugs.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #21
Sorelka
Elpy

Sorelka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Windows 7 + Gameguard Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukin View Post
If your machine can't handle running a game in a vm/vpc then i wonder why you even install vista or w7 on it.

Also, if you really don't like using the virtual disk options, how about installing xp and selecting it on startup?
Well read again Linka post....
Its not about will computer handle with...
Sorelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #22
Azrealicus
Imperial Warlord

Azrealicus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If your machine can't handle running a game in a vm/vpc then i wonder why you even install vista or w7 on it.

Also, if you really don't like using the virtual disk options, how about installing xp and selecting it on startup?
Windows 7 doesn't take much of a machine to run actually. It's far more efficient than Vista. Also, while simply installing XP is a viable option for now, it won't be long before Windows 7 is released for retail and a lot of people are going to be switching to it. Better to get this worked out sooner rather than later so those of us that like to test new software can get on to finding other bugs.
Azrealicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #23
Rohirrim
Valakas

Rohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrealicus View Post
Windows 7 doesn't take much of a machine to run actually. It's far more efficient than Vista. Also, while simply installing XP is a viable option for now, it won't be long before Windows 7 is released for retail and a lot of people are going to be switching to it. Better to get this worked out sooner rather than later so those of us that like to test new software can get on to finding other bugs.

In windows7 you have the option to simulate windows xp. if you do that the game runs fine in the x86 edition, but in the x64 edition it still causes some problems
Old 05-14-2009, 12:56 AM   #24
Sorelka
Elpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
In windows7 you have the option to simulate windows xp. if you do that the game runs fine in the x86 edition, but in the x64 edition it still causes some problems
Its not good to emulate something that gives alot crit errors even without emulation...
Old 05-14-2009, 03:16 AM   #25
Rohirrim
Valakas

Rohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorelka View Post
Its not good to emulate something that gives alot crit errors even without emulation...

it's better than not having it to run at all. isn't it?

and L2 doesn't crit error that often if you have improved shaders off
Old 05-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #26
DFizzle
Tainted Zombie

DFizzle is an unknown quantity at this point

found a fix for gg in win7.

http://forgottenportal.com/downloadp...ownload&cid=81
Old 05-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #27
Azrealicus
Imperial Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I'll have to try that out, give me a good reason the put the emulator through it's paces. I've heard that games don't really work well under it but it's worth a shot...until gameguard is updated that is. :P
Old 05-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #28
Azrealicus
Imperial Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFizzle View Post
Unfortunately, this patch doesn't work. As soon as you start the l2 launcher it replaces the gamegaurd.des file with the older version which doesn't work in Windows 7.

Also, as far as the emulator goes, it's kind of a pain to install and when all was said and done, didn't run very well. I'd say that's mostly intended as a way to open older office documents that won't function properly under Windows 7. Looks like I'll have to reinstall xp until they get this straightened out.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:35 PM   #29
Sorelka
Elpy

Quote:
Unfortunately, this patch doesn't work. As soon as you start the l2 launcher it replaces the gamegaurd.des file with the older version which doesn't work in Windows 7.
I think they not start L2 from updater.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #30
Ddragon
Elpy

Ddragon is an unknown quantity at this point

ok after i tried everything i found here cant make l2 work with windows7.
can anyone post step by step what we have to do???

thanks in advance
Ddragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #31
Judas
Baylor

Judas has a spectacular aura about themJudas has a spectacular aura about them

I know how to do it... but it gets into a bit of a grey area..

it involves placing those gameguard updated files where they should... but then requires you to copy and paste a duplicate of the l2.bin file.... then rename that duplicated file name to l2.exe

from there, run the EXE directly, and then everytime there is an update, run the lineageII.exe to update, and start it, if the gameguard error occurs again, repeat the steps, deleteing the l2.exe file that was created and duplicating the l2.bin and renaming it to exe and running it from that file.

IF a mod or admin finds this post is to far into the grey area for people to get win7 and l2 to work.. feel free to delete it.....
Old 06-12-2009, 01:08 AM   #32
Oisin
Elpy

Oisin is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Windows 7 + Gameguard Update

Quote:

Also, as far as the emulator goes, it's kind of a pain to install and when all was said and done, didn't run very well. I'd say that's mostly intended as a way to open older office documents that won't function properly under Windows 7. Looks like I'll have to reinstall xp until they get this straightened out.
If you replace the file after the patcher runs then it will launch just fine. Just replace it when you see the start button light up.
Oisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #33
KingofAngmar
Goblin Lord

KingofAngmar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin View Post
If you replace the file after the patcher runs then it will launch just fine. Just replace it when you see the start button light up.
+1

You replace the gameguard.des file after the patcher has updated.

However, as of today this is not working for me.

Going to install virtual xp.
KingofAngmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #34
Judas
Baylor

won't be able to play on virtual xp..

btw..

just rename the l2.bin file to l2.exe and run the game directly from there... avoid the updater...
Old 07-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #35
Azrealicus
Imperial Warlord

Well, Windows 7 is going RTM very soon. Since a fair number of folks are going to be getting their copies on August 6th, can we please have a gameguard update that will allow us to play? I know, there is a work around (which, btw, the link is dead for) but very soon now a lot of people are going to be upgrading and won't be able to log in. Really guys, how hard can it be to just get the latest version?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #36
Trensharo
Valakas

Trensharo is a jewel in the roughTrensharo is a jewel in the roughTrensharo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Probably the dumbest thing written in the thread.

Emulators are notoriously bad for gaming, unless you're playing something with WoW-type system requirements.

No one is paying 3k for a PC/Mac just so they can run games in a **** emulator/virtual machine.

Have fun, though.

Vista and Windows 7 can run on machines > 5 years old without issue. It's an Operating System, not Age of Conan on max detail. You just have to know how to modify or build a decent system.

Lineage II is an old game, with an old graphics engine, which had old-time system requirements.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:42 AM   #37
Rohirrim
Valakas

Quote:
Well, Windows 7 is going RTM very soon. Since a fair number of folks are going to be getting their copies on August 6th, can we please have a gameguard update that will allow us to play? I know, there is a work around (which, btw, the link is dead for) but very soon now a lot of people are going to be upgrading and won't be able to log in. Really guys, how hard can it be to just get the latest version?

it's as hard as changing one word in 9 lines inside the file that contains the list over items to fix the missing red soul crystal icon...they need Korea to do it for them
Old 07-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #38
Judas
Baylor

just a fyi...

anyone that may have aion..

copy the gameguard.des and gameguard folder over to l2 and run the l2.bin (rename it to exe) and volla....
Old 08-02-2009, 12:05 AM   #39
Corvenus
Grave Predator

Corvenus is on a distinguished road

I am getting an error saying L2 bin has stopped working. Anybody know how to fix that?
Under the Mother Nornil, we devote our faith in the Goddess of Past, who rules history, the Goddess of Present, who records everything happening at this moment, and the Goddess of Future, who forecasts whats to come.
Corvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #40
Azrealicus
Imperial Warlord

Once again, I'm back asking for a gameguard update. Seriously, it can't be that hard. Other NCsoft games have already been updated and work with Windows 7 just fine. I'd hate to think I'll have to cancel my subscription because you guys dropped the ball on this. Some sort of official answer, even a generic "We're aware of the issue and are working on it." would be nice. Anybody with a Technet subscription has the retail release by now as do people through various other channels so now would be a great time to take care of this.