Lineage II Forums  
Go Back   Lineage II Forums > Community Corner > Fan Site News

Login

Fan Site News Fan Sites may share news and announcements here with the community.

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the return of L2Blah?
Yes. 21 91.30%
No, because its content was offensive. 1 4.35%
No, because it doesn't fit today's L2 community. 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
Hachiroku
Elpy

Hachiroku is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If L2Blah (L2Guru) returned tomorrow...

Do you think you would use it?

For those who don't know of L2Blah - it was a site that was way less moderated, existing more for smack talk and less for feedback/new player questions. I'm wondering if something that shared L2Blah's likeness would be worth developing. Such a site would NOT aim to take any viewership from this forum. It would merely allow for the discussion of content that is prohibited here. The idea is to enhance the community in the game many of us have loved/supported for years; moderators, please have mercy. If you dislike the idea, I would love your feedback as well, not the removal of this post.

Notably, the site would NOT:
  • Exist to benefit anyone/anything outside of the L2 player community. In other words the site wouldn't exist for monetary profit, in any way directly or indirectly.
  • Censor flaming. Flaming is a huge aspect of this game - I mean, read hero shout.
  • Censor shaming. Players are blatantly cheating while complaining about enemy cheating in global channels. This would allow for a more honest conversation on the age old dilemma "Who's better than whom." Maybe this is a turn off for most of the PvP players today. Understand this would not be the focus of the site. In the end, if you want to cheat to win - fine, that's not the point. The point is to drop the holier-than-thou act and claims of outplay when some are only playing half the game.

Maybe it's only me who thinks this would awesome. That's what I'm here to find out. If you could respond to the poll and leave your thoughts in the comments, that would help me come to a conclusion. Thanks.

Last edited by BusterCasey; 08-07-2015 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Content
Old 08-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
BatRus
Heathen Knight

BatRus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If L2Blah (L2Guru) returned tomorrow...

i miss that drama lama
Old 08-07-2015, 01:01 PM   #3
leetSalamis
Elpy

leetSalamis is an unknown quantity at this point

Blah was the cornerstone of Lineage 2.

Bring blah back and it will make the game more interesting for sure.

Last edited by BusterCasey; 08-07-2015 at 01:41 PM. Reason: content
Old 08-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
BusterCasey
Retired Community Coordinator

BusterCasey will become famous soon enough

Fan sites of all kinds are great and welcomed, however this isn't an avenue for moderation/forum rules complaints.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:43 AM   #5
TheChick
Grave Predator

TheChick is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree, we should all go back to a forum where we are free to express our opinions and be treated like the adults I believe at this point, we all are.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:07 AM   #6
iCarNaya
Goblin Lord

iCarNaya is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of you might remember me from the glorious age of L2Blah, I was a moderator for several years. On a good day we had 25k unique visitors and the cost of supporting that service without ads was significant (which is why it died eventually). Now for good or bad, the user base is much smaller, the cost is virtually non existant.

Anyways, I don't have accesss to the old L2Blah database but I can set up a new version of it in a couple hours, if I see people are into something like that.

Last edited by BusterCasey; 08-13-2015 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Content
Old 08-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
Valhar Morgulis
Thunder Wyrm

Valhar Morgulis is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarNaya View Post
Very interesting thread, amazingly it's not deleted/locked along with all the other interesting threads in this forum. Not only that, but it seems that Buster likes the idea (which makes sense, L2Blah advertised Lineage2 more efficiently than all the marketing campaings of NCWest combined)

Some of you might remember me from the glorious age of L2Blah, I was a moderator for several years. On a good day we had 25k unique visitors and the cost of supporting that service without ads was significant (which is why it died eventually). Now for good or bad, the user base is much smaller, the cost is virtually non existant.

Anyways, I don't have accesss to the old L2Blah database but I can set up a new version of it in a couple hours, if I see people are into something like that.
This game is way more fun if theres trashtalk/flames.I think high % of players is adults and the dirty talk wont hurt them.
@buster u should in an day on servers like chronos/magmeld/naia and see the interaction on hero/world chat,then u will have another perspective about game chats
Old 08-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
iCarNaya
Goblin Lord

iCarNaya is an unknown quantity at this point

Let's keep this thread on topic and as clean as possible, I'm interested in people's opinions on this.

ps.
I think I know who voted for option 2! :P
Old 08-14-2015, 04:08 PM   #9
Hime
Community Manager

Hime is on a distinguished road

If you find value in such a forum, you should definitely do it. Just remember these are the official forums so if you're looking for official information and responses, you have to come here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhar Morgulis View Post
This game is way more fun if theres trashtalk/flames.I think high % of players is adults and the dirty talk wont hurt them.
@buster u should in an day on servers like chronos/magmeld/naia and see the interaction on hero/world chat,then u will have another perspective about game chats
I think there is a difference between game banter and just straight up inappropriate and not cool. In the game, you're subjected to the rules there. Here you are subjected to our rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarNaya View Post
Let's keep this thread on topic and as clean as possible, I'm interested in people's opinions on this.

ps.
I think I know who voted for option 2! :P
It's not Buster, I, or any NCSOFT staff if that is what you're implying!
Old 08-16-2015, 05:50 PM   #10
Niconov
Elpy

Niconov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetSalamis View Post
Blah was the cornerstone of Lineage 2.

Bring blah back and it will make the game more interesting for sure.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #11
MrInnocent
Banned

MrInnocent is on a distinguished road

+++++++ L2Blah

Last edited by BusterCasey; 08-17-2015 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Content
Old 08-17-2015, 05:59 PM   #12
Vood
Guardian Archangel

Vood is on a distinguished road

isnt L2 blah in russian? never been there, but I only can read english.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:07 AM   #13
xopk
Heathen Knight

xopk will become famous soon enough

i was there before 4-5+ years
when i saw section for few programs i deleted IE
Old 08-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #14
Yidao
Zaken

Yidao is a glorious beacon of lightYidao is a glorious beacon of lightYidao is a glorious beacon of lightYidao is a glorious beacon of lightYidao is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by xopk View Post
i was there before 4-5+ years
when i saw section for few programs i deleted IE
I suspect that neither Hime nor BusterCasey are aware of what Blah was. Juji in his incarnation as Moderator1 might already have been around back then, and Sparse/Neutronium or Spam should definitely remember. Maybe our esteemed community team should seek enlightenment from the company veterans

That being said, as opposed to websites like Rochand or Inven.co.kr, where you will read nasty things like stock market quotes, Blah has always catered to roleplaying kids who play the game as customers, doing what the developers want them to do: join clans, try to win a Castle etc. Insofar Salamis is absolutely right - Blah was really a cornerstone of NCWest's financial foundation. Blah users were precisely those dimwits who are dumb enough to buy anything the L2Store is throwing at them

While I myself never cared for the original Blah and certainly won't use a resurrected version (I am one of those senior citizens who don't like children), it would - by siphoning away the distressed children - make moderation on this forum easier. If I were a Community Manager, I would also encourage Hachiroku and Carnaya to set up such a website. From a detached point of view, however, I would strongly suggest to carefully analyze the reasons why the original Blah died. As I am typing this, there are 1,303 views on this thread, but only 16 votes in favor of a new Blah. Not having accessed Blah in the past I couldn't really say, but my suspicion is that such a website really doesn't fit today's L2 community any more. You can't cross the same river twice.

@ Vood:
You mean goha.ru. That's a Blah-style website catering to the Russian community. Hachiroku and Carnaya want to set up an English version for NCWest servers
Old 08-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #15
iJarpo
Guardian Archangel

iJarpo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yidao View Post
I suspect that neither Hime nor BusterCasey are aware of what Blah was. Juji in his incarnation as Moderator1 might already have been around back then, and Sparse/Neutronium or Spam should definitely remember. Maybe our esteemed community team should seek enlightenment from the company veterans

That being said, as opposed to websites like Rochand or Inven.co.kr, where you will read nasty things like stock market quotes, Blah has always catered to roleplaying kids who play the game as customers, doing what the developers want them to do: join clans, try to win a Castle etc. Insofar Salamis is absolutely right - Blah was really a cornerstone of NCWest's financial foundation. Blah users were precisely those dimwits who are dumb enough to buy anything the L2Store is throwing at them

While I myself never cared for the original Blah and certainly won't use a resurrected version (I am one of those senior citizens who don't like children), it would - by siphoning away the distressed children - make moderation on this forum easier. If I were a Community Manager, I would also encourage Hachiroku and Carnaya to set up such a website. From a detached point of view, however, I would strongly suggest to carefully analyze the reasons why the original Blah died. As I am typing this, there are 1,303 views on this thread, but only 16 votes in favor of a new Blah. Not having accessed Blah in the past I couldn't really say, but my suspicion is that such a website really doesn't fit today's L2 community any more. You can't cross the same river twice.

@ Vood:
You mean goha.ru. That's a Blah-style website catering to the Russian community. Hachiroku and Carnaya want to set up an English version for NCWest servers
You said you didn't access the forums, but then go on to make a bunch of assumptions about said forums. I'm not sure whose the dimwit, but you get where I'm going...

People payed their 15 dollars a month back then and did what they wanted, I'm not sure how anyone more or less catered to NCsofts financial foundation, especially that user base. People like drama, it keeps things competitive and entertaining. Why do you think people watch horrible reality TV shows, or get caught up in sports rivalries?

It was a place for people from all walks of life. Players commenting or using those boards were no different than you or I. The board was like any other message board, with sections for everything. It just wasn't censored like NK there and that made it a place where drama and in game political threads gained traction quickly. The same type of threads that get shut down here for one derogatory term, like the one you used above.

Lastly to my knowledge, blah died because billy vanished and didn't pay for the domain, it didn't just die off like you seem to again, assume. The website had so much traffic, that when the domain expired some Chinese company purchased it just to sit on.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:50 PM   #16
Yidao
Zaken

Yidao is a glorious beacon of lightYidao is a glorious beacon of lightYidao is a glorious beacon of lightYidao is a glorious beacon of lightYidao is a glorious beacon of light

If I read a review about an abyssal movie in the newspaper I don't have to waste two hours out of my life to go to the cinema just to be able to say: "Wah, what an abyssal movie!"
Hachiroku in his original post and you yourself have nicely described what Blah was. I myself have never been in a clan, I never PvP and I couldn't care less which bunch of losers owns Aden Castle. There is nothing on that website I would have been or would be interested in.

But there is no need to quarrel. Ultimately you and I are saying the same:
Quote:
Blah has always catered to roleplaying kids who play the game as customers, doing what the developers want them to do: join clans, try to win a Castle etc.
Quote:
a place where drama and in game political threads gained traction quickly.
The point here is, Blah users were clan members, they participated in clan wars. This is precisely what the developers want them to do. They want players to level up, gain SP, learn new skills, buy new equipment so that they become better than their competition and can win a Siege. Those same Blah users are the people who nowadays ( ) buy stuff from the L2Store: Brooch Jewels, Talismans ... you name it. I mean this in no way negatively. That is just so. Somebody must pay so that I can play totally free. Please by all means continue to purchase NCoins

As to the end of the original Blah, the question is, why did billy vanish? Why didn't he make provisions for his untimely death or just lack of interest, leaving passwords and instructions of how to proceed with the domain with his brother/wife/lawyer, like for example Akjosch did with the Unity clan on Naia? Can it be that a website like Blah does not ecourage/engender responsible behavior? Was the death of the original Blah built into the system?

As stated above, I personally care for a resurrected Blah about as much as for architecture in Dubai. Nevertheless, out of the goodness of my heart, here is a tip:
Before anybody decides to invest time and hosting fees they should really look at the numbers. We are now at 1,413 views on this thread and 17 votes in favor of a new Blah. Is that worth it?

Last edited by BusterCasey; 08-19-2015 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Content
Old 08-19-2015, 12:34 AM   #17
iJarpo
Guardian Archangel

iJarpo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If I read a review about an abyssal movie in the newspaper I don't have to waste two hours out of my life to go to the cinema just to be able to say: "Wah, what an abyssal movie!"
Hachiroku in his original post and you yourself have nicely described what Blah was. I myself have never been in a clan, I never PvP and I couldn't care less which bunch of losers owns Aden Castle. There is nothing on that website I would have been or would be interested in.

But there is no need to quarrel. Ultimately you and I are saying the same:

As to the end of the original Blah, the question is, why did billy vanish? Why didn't he make provisions for his untimely death or just lack of interest, leaving passwords and instructions of how to proceed with the domain with his brother/wife/lawyer, like for example Akjosch did with the Unity clan on Naia? Can it be that a website like Blah does not ecourage/engender responsible behavior? Was the death of the original Blah built into the system?

As stated above, I personally care for a resurrected Blah about as much as for architecture in Dubai and I would positively welcome it if the adolescents would be siphoned away from this forum. Nevertheless, out of the goodness of my heart, here is a tip:
Before anybody decides to invest time and hosting fees they should really look at the numbers. We are now at 1,413 views on this thread and 17 votes in favor of a new Blah. Is that worth it?
You would be right on track, if the abyssal movie didn't have 5 stars it could be rated on, instead of abyssal or no not abyssal. It could be better than 0, and worse than 5. You can read reviews all day long, but reviews are never black and white, they are black, red, grey and green. Reviews work for a general guideline, I find it funny you wouldn't see a movie because someone doesn't enjoy it. That person may hate comic books and superheros, but he rated the new batman movie as bad, he must be correct and I wont waste my time? The blind leading the blind, good luck, you'll need it.

Quote:
The point here is, Blah users were clan members, they participated in clan wars. This is precisely what the developers want them to do. They want players to level up, gain SP, learn new skills, buy new equipment so that they become better than their competition and can win a Siege. Those same Blah users are the people who nowadays ( ) buy stuff from the L2Store: Brooch Jewels, Talismans ... you name it. I mean this in no way negatively. Human beings are not born free and equal, and only a minority is endowed with reason and consciousness. That is just so. Somebody must pay so that I can play totally free. Please by all means continue to purchase NCoins
I'm so confused, blah users =/= clan members. Does that mean you are implying the vast majority of people who use these boards are not in clans, or do not partake in developer created content (Sieges/Clans/Raids) and that you, the person who is clan less is the majority? That the adolescents are the ones buying nccoins and enjoying the all this game has to offer, are somehow lesser than you and should be siphoned away from these boards?

Who knows why billy didn't leave directions on how to get into his admin account on whatever web hosting service he used to continue a video game forum for some other silly video gamers in a far away country for a relativity small gaming community. You see where I'm going with this right? I have no idea what you mean "Built into the system" but I think you've watched a few to many crazy movies bud.

Last edited by BusterCasey; 08-19-2015 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Content
Old 08-19-2015, 05:43 AM   #18
Yidao
Zaken

Of course I as a clan-less player am not in the majority. But as I was pointing out in a different thread, joining a clan is the first step into unlegitness:
http://boards.lineage2.com/showthread.php?t=282764#14
(the discussion continues on several pages)

What I do say is that the vast majority of people who use these boards are unlegit (even if it is just by putting up items in the Auction House, thus benefitting from botted adena), that of course the vast majority of Blah users were unlegit, and that by making L2Store items tradeable NCsoft is the biggest RMT company of them all and should be instantly banned. Yes, the vast majority of players should be siphoned away from these boards and these servers.
I guess you can see how this is a minority view

Now, to get serious again, I invite you to study the history of the Bartz Liberation War and meditate on the meaning of "oppositional reading":
http://scholarworks.gsu.edu/cgi/view...ication_theses
Lineage 2 is what is technically known as a "sandbox game". Nevertheless most players follow the developer created content, almost like in an Xbox game. It's your choice how you play the game and it's my choice how I play the game. What I am saying is that by playing according to the unspoken rules you are de facto financing my pleasure. Back before GoD I ws paying 15 dollars per month and doing what I wanted, while Blah users often had Buffer accounts and maybe even a shop Dwarf to get an edge. So yes, by paying 30 dollars or more per month they were a cornerstone of NCWest's financial foundation. By all means, please bring back Blah
Old 08-20-2015, 05:34 PM   #19
Diego_Vargas
Imperial Warlord

Diego_Vargas is on a distinguished road

Elmar had an l2blah account.

As the admin of l2blah, I banned it shortly after he ragekicked me off rochand without warning. IIRC I made some posts about how the L2/KR players were terrible at pvp, and we were stuck with long lasting gameplay changes based on their ineptitude and devs trying to cater/appease their users.

He was terribly upset with the notion that such public opinions would cause L2/KR players to stay away from his website or some such.

Anyhow its best to not pay too much attention to Elmar when his opinion strays too far from asian proverbs and his fevered ranting about ultimate downfall of Lineage2.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:19 AM   #20
Yidao
Zaken

Of course I had an l2blah account. So, Jarpo, I am not making assumptions, I actually know what I am talking about

Diego, I banned you on Rochand because I have come to the conclusion that you are a cheater, a personal oppinion I don't have to prove. The formal reason I gave (I think it was "Insulting Koreans" or something to that effect) was just a pretext. It might as well have been "Offensive hairstyle" or "Because it's Friday". I don't give out infractions, I don't give warnings. I kill people at the drop of a hat because it is my pleasure

I am not nice and I am not fair. When I use smileys that's usually an indicator that I am having fun; when I am serious I provide links so that people can check it out for themselves and don't have to take my word for it. Nevertheless I strongly recommend that players of a sensitive disposition should put me on their ignore list

For those new to the game, here is a short introduction to Shilenism:
http://boards.lineage2.com/showthrea...91&page=19#373
Closed Thread