Default Re: horrible lag

Lag on Phoenix and Devianne here, ticket opened since 1 week. :S
MaxiKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:31 AM   #143
Krack
Dark Knight

Krack is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah just noticed the doubleing of the ping to the PHX and Deviane servers for what they used to be for the last several years. was 40 now orver 70
Krack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:34 AM   #144
Aconyte
Zaken

Aconyte is a jewel in the roughAconyte is a jewel in the roughAconyte is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krack View Post
Yeah just noticed the doubleing of the ping to the PHX and Deviane servers for what they used to be for the last several years. was 40 now over 70
Guys, let us not mix together the two different issues: ping and lag.
Unless you are a pro Quake player, you won't notice the difference between 40 ms and 70 ms, especially in a game like L2. An average human's reaction threshold is around 150-170 ms.
That is, my ping to Phoenix is 170 ms and, when the connection is fine, I barely notice any delays. If you are playing on a Euro server from Australia, you are supposed to have 400+ ms ping there, and everything will happen to you with constant half-second delays.

The current lag problem is not about milliseconds: when it takes ten SECONDS to target a mob (while previous mobs were targeted instantly) it's called a lag spike. It means there were no communication between you and the server during the last 10 seconds at all.

Today I got a few ridiculously long lag spikes when I could not even pick up herbs before they disappeared. Sometimes there was no lag, and a minute later the game was unplayable again.
And, for some reason, I tend to think it was the server-side lag. Server-side.
Aconyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:44 AM   #145
Krack
Dark Knight

Krack is an unknown quantity at this point

Aco, I was just commenting that it seemed kind of strange that the ping has doubled. But week before last I was having lag spikes just thought another user on my network was going crazy with downloading junk. Well it appears others where having the same issue.
Krack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #146
washtak
Beleth's Slave

washtak has a spectacular aura about themwashtak has a spectacular aura about themwashtak has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconyte View Post
Today I got a few ridiculously long lag spikes when I could not even pick up herbs before they disappeared. Sometimes there was no lag, and a minute later the game was unplayable again.
And, for some reason, I tend to think it was the server-side lag. Server-side.
No, server-side lag freezes the mobs too. After the lag stops, everybody (including heroes) spams "what was that?", "server's going down", "spudnik sat on the server", etc. Generally, soulshots have lag pikes before that.
When you can give commands to your character while the screen is frozen, that comes from your connection. The server is still happily working, you just don't get the information on what's happening. That connection problem can come from anywhere on the tubes of the intarwebz, but when a lot of players from different providers, from different countries - meaning different starting routes - are experiencing the same lag, chances are it doesn't come from your switch indeed.
Some players are experiencing a little lag since Aion beta servers were opened again. There might be little bandwidth problems near European servers end. Maybe the last nodes of the route are common for too many players. Anyway, it's problematic for our Territory Wars, which are just on Aion beta week-ends. I mean it doesn't lag enough for me to dodge the autotargeting loldaggers
washtak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lag, support