Lineage II Forums  
Go Back   Lineage II Forums > Technical Discussions > General Technical Issues

Login

General Technical Issues Describe your client-side, hardware or software complications. This is not a place to report game bugs.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
Judas
Baylor

Judas has a spectacular aura about themJudas has a spectacular aura about them
Default Having GameGuard Related issues? ~READ~

There are several methods to try and resolve a gameguard related issue.

To start, doing a full "FILE CHECK" does not have anything to do with Gameguard, HOWEVER in the utmost last resort of occasions, this is only when it's nessary.

When you click "START", the window disappears and a splash screen shows up. Splash screens are usually the little pictures, for lineage2, they rotate showing different things each time you hit start.

Durring the splash screen is the only time Gameguard is First Started, it updates itself durring this period. Usually if the splash screen remains for a lengthy period of time, it's either downloading updates for it, OR it's having a hard time connecting and getting the updates. Course it all depends on your internet connection. Dialup could take several minutes to nearly a half an hour, broadband is usually a few extra seconds.

Anyways, straight to the suggested order to try and resolve an issue. Try each one seperately if you wish, however it's best just to go through them ALL at one time to make sure.

POSSIBLY SOLUTIONS

Locate your Lineage2 SYSTEM folder and within it is a folder called "GameGuard", delete this folder completely.

Do a DNS Flush.

Windows XP ~> This is easily done by go to START~>RUN and then typing in:
cmd
Hit OK, a black screen shows up and type in

ipconfig /flushdns

Hit enter and the entire DNS should be wiped off the computer.

For windows VISTA users, you'll HAVE to grant ADMIN rights to CMD for the duration to do this, navigate to My computer ~> C: ~> Windows ~> SYSTEM32 ~> CMD.... RIGHT CLICK CMD and form the menu select "RUN AS ADMIN". From there, Do exactly as mentioned above for xp, type in ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter.

Reset Internet Explorer Files, While this is likely not to solve the problem, it usually removes some files that could potentially cause an issue reguardless.

go to START~>Control Panel~>Internet options
I'll only be refering to Internet Explorer 7. In this window that pops up should be a Delete button on the default TAB, click it then select DELETE ALL and then place a check in the unchecked box, hit delete. It may take several seconds to even minutes depending on when this was last done.

Resetting internet Connections:

If you have a DSL/Cable Modem or similare system, along with a Router or Hubs or similare between. You'll want to completely unplug these units both from the power and the network connections between. On Cable Modems, usually unhooking the Coax Cable itself from the modem and then grounding the Center wire on something metal for a second or 2 then hooking it back up can resolve several problems, including lag related issues or ping times.
In either case, doing a full reset of your network/internet is not a bad idea. Make sure you also full reset your own network adapter as well while your at it by doing the following:

For windows XP
usually the easiest way to do this is to go to START ~> control panel.

Within the control panel should be "Network Connections" select this.

Now you may have more then just ONE network connection, i'd suggest go through them all and right clicking, then selecting "DISABLE". After which, restart your computer, then go back into the network connections and right click them all and select "ENABLE", this is a method in which a forceful HARD reset of the adapters is initiated.

Fow windows Vista:

You'll need to go to start~>Control Panel~>Network and Sharing Center

When this window opens on the left hand side should be "Manage Network Connections"

From there repeat the cycle as you would for Windows XP, Right click , disable, restart, enable.

#5 (completely optional)

Gameguard could potentially be blocked by serveral firewalls and anti-virus or similare software. You may want to try completely Disabling these just to see if the problem is resolved. One such manner would be to check the software options and preference to see if you could possibly disable for a period of time or prevent it from even starting up the next time you start your computer. Of course remember where to go so you can later reverse the process.

However on place to check is: START~>RUN~> type in MSCONFIG and hit enter, now go to the startup tab and browse the list, essentially NOTHING in this list is ABSALUTELY required, so you could try DISABLING everything, next you could try and go to the SERVICES TAB, PLEASE be warned, do not disable crucial services, at the bottom of the tab is an option to HIDE MICROSOFT SERVICES, i'd suggest you check this, the list should be dramatically shortened. From this small list everything should safe to disable. Hit Apply when your done and restart, This not only could dramatically speed up your system, but 99% of the things disabled are not nessary from startup and can be run when needed. However Norton/AVG/ or any antivirus NEEDS these services runnign to be effective, so you can go back and pick and choose which services and startups you want running to better fine tune your machine.

#6 (be extremely careful with this)

CHECK your hosts file...

to do this navigate through to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\

Within this folder should be a file named "Hosts" however it typically should show up as a "unknown" file format. Double click this and you'll likely be greeted with having to choose a program you want to use to open this file. Select a "NOTEPAD" as the program to use.

You should be greeted with a bunch of microsoft information pertaining to the hosts file and tcp/ip, along with mapping addresses and whatnot. EXAMPLE below in quotes:

[ QUOTE ]
# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what your HOSTS for windows Vista should look like, make sure it is (applies to all vista versions be it 32bit or 64bit)

For windows XP/2000, this is an example of what your host file should look like

[ QUOTE ]
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
#
# space.
#
#
# For example:
#

127.0.0.1 localhost

[/ QUOTE ]

MAKE sure it looks like this. IF there are any extra IPs or anything not exact, REMOVE IT to make it look every way the same as the 2 examples above depending on the OS you are using. Every space, #, number and letter should be indentical. Easiest method to make sure of this is to copy and highly the above stuff WITHIN the quotes and copy it and paste it into the notepad hosts, then save it.

#7 The quirks of Anti-virus and security software

Quite common for antivirus and such as Norton, Mcafee, numerious others.... free ones are in the AVG realm. Zone alarm is used by plenty of people for software firewalls and such. All these programs and software are not always faultless or without problems. Actually recently norton has been hit by a slew of issues basically resulting in people just out and out removing it from the systems and installing, for example, AVG and haveing very little to no issues.

HOWEVER, like i had said, they are NOT PERFECT.

Occasionally gameguard and your choice of anti-virus or security software will hit a snag. It happens, you'll be rooting through all these helpful notes and whatnot that i've been posting only to find that nothing has solved the problem... at all.

Well heres a suggestion, Depending on the software your using, MAKE sure to run a full update check and update completely on all the anti-virus/security software. That's just a starter.

If that doesn't get anywhere, start disabling these programs temporarly. See if the problems percsist

The last resort is to completely uninstall these programs. At which point you'll have completely eliminated if it was the problem or not. HOWEVER this is an absalute last resort. IF you have paid a full subscription, you could be potentially losing it completely. So if anything happens, at all, durring this last resort venture, it's completely your own fault and not mine nor ncsofts.

Final Note

Be forwarned, doing anything of the sort is your own responcibility, while under typical everyday circumstances, nothing should go wrong, there is always a chance if something is changed by accident, or you happen to screwing anything up, your responcible, not I, nor NCSOFT or anyone else but yourself is responcible for anything done.
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Alyra
Retired

Alyra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Having GameGuard Related issues? ~READ~

This thread was edited per PvrJudas's request. Here's a link to the NCsoft Game Advisor. This tool helps our support team identify what problems you might be having. Once you run the tool, copy and paste your results in a Support Center ticket.

Last edited by Sace; 09-29-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: updated tool name and link
Alyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
Judas
Baylor

Thank you

Feel Free to post your questions.. or even suggestions that were no mentioned above here..

THANKS! (and good luck)
Old 10-04-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
_Charmille_
Baylor

_Charmille_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Okies: Solve the problem with GG and Firefox, Punk Buster, different burning medias... the list goes on ^^

@Alyra, can we have a tool that allows programs to work even if GG is running, thanks!
_Charmille_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
Judas
Baylor

Aww.. cmon charmille...... don't ruin thread dedicated to trying to help some people out with the more common of issues....
Old 10-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #6
kolgrim
Elpy

kolgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

hello i have account in L2, i back to game and i canot log on because i see all servers are down i can log only to bartz, so i change my account pswd i get the update my client but it doesnt work, whats goingon? please help me and sorry for my english bye bye
SH 5x
kolgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #7
Judas
Baylor

PM Splatter about HOST files...... I may add the host information to the main thread post IF it's allowable...
Old 10-04-2007, 10:52 PM   #8
_Charmille_
Baylor

_Charmille_ is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say the FireFox blocking is a common issue if it has several threads running and hundreds of people complaining.
_Charmille_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:36 AM   #9
kolgrim
Elpy

heya again, i turn off all firewalls and other programs, i clean dns adress, i get again update and still this same problem 5 days and i cannot log on into my lovely Lionna
SH 5x
Old 10-05-2007, 06:46 AM   #10
HammerBubble
Elpy

HammerBubble is an unknown quantity at this point

Your client installation is configured to log on to the test server which is why only Bartz is showing as up
HammerBubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:39 AM   #11
Judas
Baylor

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say the FireFox blocking is a common issue if it has several threads running and hundreds of people complaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

common general issues...

the firefox blocking issue (although i don't have that problem)... is an issue already specific and posted and gone over with a fine comb from a forum standpoint... it's quite clear that it's in ncsofts/gameguards park now...
Old 10-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #12
Judas
Baylor

[ QUOTE ]
heya again, i turn off all firewalls and other programs, i clean dns adress, i get again update and still this same problem 5 days and i cannot log on into my lovely Lionna

[/ QUOTE ]

Please PM Splatter about Host Files... i'm fairly certain it may be related to an entry that at one point was forcing a connection to possibly the orginal login server.. and it's now been changed....
Old 10-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #13
Pixie_
Imperial Warlord

Pixie_ is on a distinguished road

[ QUOTE ]
hello i have account in L2, i back to game and i canot log on because i see all servers are down i can log only to bartz, so i change my account pswd i get the update my client but it doesnt work, whats goingon? please help me and sorry for my english bye bye

[/ QUOTE ]

Check your hosts file, for Windows NT, 2000, XP, or Vista it is found in windows\system32\drivers\etc\

It should look similar to this.

[ QUOTE ]
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
#
# space.
#
#
# For example:
#

127.0.0.1 localhost

[/ QUOTE ]

The lines starting with a # are comments and are ignored by the operating system. 127.0.0.1 localhost is normally the only line that should be there. You can delete or put a # infront of any other lines you see there.

If there is nothing wrong with the Hosts file. Download the PTS to Live conversion and follow the instructions included in the zip. Remember to do a 'Check Files' to complete the conversion before trying to login.
Pixie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:31 AM   #14
kolgrim
Elpy

heya everyone My host is ok but i dont have pts to live conversion.... lol i download it and now everything is ok Thanks to everyone for help im so happy Thanks again my friends ^^
SH 5x
Old 10-07-2007, 05:48 AM   #15
Pixie_
Imperial Warlord

[ QUOTE ]
To start, doing a full "FILE CHECK" does not have anything to do with Gameguard, HOWEVER in the utmost last resort of occasions, this is only when it's nessary.

When you click "START", the window disappears and a splash screen shows up. Splash screens are usually the little pictures, for lineage2, they rotate showing different things each time you hit start.

Durring the splash screen is the only time Gameguard is First Started, it updates itself durring this period. Usually if the splash screen remains for a lengthy period of time, it's either downloading updates for it, OR it's having a hard time connecting and getting the updates. Course it all depends on your internet connection. Dialup could take several minutes to nearly a half an hour, broadband is usually a few extra seconds.

Anyways, straight to the suggested order to try and resolve an issue. Try each one seperately if you wish, however it's best just to go through them ALL at one time to make sure.

POSSIBLY SOLUTIONS

Locate your Lineage2 SYSTEM folder and within it is a folder called "GameGuard", delete this folder completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

'Check Files' does check the gameguard folder and will download the files if necessary, such as after you have deleted it. GameGuard can/does update itself though.

[ QUOTE ]

Reset Internet Explorer Files, While this is likely not to solve the problem, it usually removes some files that could potentially cause an issue reguardless.

go to START~>Control Panel~>Internet options
I'll only be refering to Internet Explorer 7. In this window that pops up should be a Delete button on the default TAB, click it then select DELETE ALL and then place a check in the unchecked box, hit delete. It may take several seconds to even minutes depending on when this was last done.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will want to do this for any web browser(s) you use. For Firefox its, tools> Clear Private Data. After which you may want to use Scan Disk, or some other utility like norton, to check the drive for errors.

[ QUOTE ]
#5 (completely optional)

Gameguard could potentially be blocked by serveral firewalls and anti-virus or similare software. You may want to try completely Disabling these just to see if the problem is resolved. One such manner would be to check the software options and preference to see if you could possibly disable for a period of time or prevent it from even starting up the next time you start your computer. Of course remember where to go so you can later reverse the process.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may also be having router or network hub issues. Try connecting you DSL/cable modem directly to the PC to see if it helps.

If it does there a couple of things you can try before getting a new piece of hardware.

Check the manufacturer's website for firmware updates.

Make sure your router is configured to allow ports TCP 7777, 2106, 2009 and 80, and DNS (TCP/UDP) 53. Also, if your router support it, that LineageII.exe, L2.exe, GameGuard.des and GameMon.des are added to the exceptions list.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:02 PM   #16
kolgrim
Elpy

Yeah im back to my Lionna Thanks again to everyone for help me
SH 5x
Old 10-28-2007, 06:22 AM   #17
Crawlerin
Antharas

Crawlerin will become famous soon enough

My recent experience: If you get "Gameguard error number [OK Button]" complaining about checking your network connection and firewall, check your Internet Exploder's proxy settings. If you get set it to something different than your default functional proxy or no proxy (for reasons like anonymizer and such), you get this message as GG times out on slow remote proxy. Apparently it takes this specific value from IE.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #18
LadyHawke
Goblin Lord

LadyHawke is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello.

I'm back here with a GG error again and not being able of course to login to game. Last night I was playing L2 normally, when suddenly I crushed and since then I get this GG error (610). BTW, my husband can play L2 normally from his pc, wihtout getting any GG error!.

I tried all proposed solutions in here allready and nothing works.

My hosts file is ok (I only play on Teon, never in any private server, and did not try PTS). Also, I have no firewall.
I have deleted the folder GG, and rr system. Didnt work.
I have deleted GG folder and checked files. Didn't work.
I have flush dnsed. Didn't work.
I have cleaned the cache of both IE and Firefox. Didnt work.
I have rr rooter several times. Didnt work.

Well, is there anything else I can do to get into the game?
LadyHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #19
TommyK
Elpy

TommyK is an unknown quantity at this point

[ QUOTE ]
Hello.

I'm back here with a GG error again and not being able of course to login to game. Last night I was playing L2 normally, when suddenly I crushed and since then I get this GG error (610). BTW, my husband can play L2 normally from his pc, wihtout getting any GG error!.

My hosts file is ok (I only play on Teon, never in any private server, and did not try PTS). Also, I have no firewall.

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm the same. i've done EVERYTHING. the last thing i did was delete the gamegaurd folder, checkfiles, and start Lineage2. I got an error #610. Restarted, same problem - something about my firewall that 'apparently' exists.

don't know what to do >_<
TommyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #20
Pixie_
Imperial Warlord

[ QUOTE ]
Hello.

[/ QUOTE ]

Delete the Lineage II system folder, move any screen shots you want to keep first, and then 'Check Files' to replace it.

If that doesn't help, try installing the latest version of directX
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...;displaylang=en

Tags
gameguard