Lineage II Forums  
Go Back   Lineage II Forums > Community Corner > Player Guides

Login

Player Guides Players that create guides and collections of game tips can post them here. If you have questions please post in the Player Questions section above!

Old 08-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Cook
Dark Knight

Cook will become famous soon enough
Default finalElf's 2011 Vegas Video + Fraps + YouTube Guide

Intro-
It has been almost 6 years since the guide on l2guru was written, and it needs an update. boards.lineage2.com has done a great job in the last couple years of letting player's speak without too much censorship, and I think this kind of guide belongs here. Thank you to all the people that have helped me get back into the game thusfar (specifically ErB, Prominent and Active/ActiveZero), this guide is written for people like you guys.

YouTube has been a tool for people to share home movies and amateur video for a few years now. The flash encoding has never been able to express the beauty and detail of hi-resolution Lineage 2 Fraps recordings - until recently.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2eeh15k.png
http://i52.tinypic.com/29xumoz.png

Who this guide is for-
Lineage 2 players with a solid machine having at least two HDDs, with the time and patience to create entertainment for themselves, their friends, and possibly their enemies.

Hardware/software requirements-
A computer with 2+ processors, 2 hard drives, 2 gigs of ram, an ATI or NVIDIA card made after 2007, Windows 7, fraps version 3.2.3. or better, Sony's Vegas Video Pro 10.0 or better.

If you are using an older version of windows you SHOULD ABSOLUTELY UPDATE TO WINDOWS 7 IF YOU ARE GOING TO ATTEMPT MAKING VIDEOS. Video editing is an absolute nightmare on outdated software profiles, and IT CAN AND WILL BRICK/SHRED/DESTROY YOUR CURRENT OUTDATED OS. Vegas 10.0+ relies on plugins and software packages that assume your system is relatively up to date, and winXP/Vista won't cut it. What they WILL do is freak out, generate random errors, lock up your machine, and thrash your hard drives into novella-sized paper weights.

Two hard drives are needed such that your kernel (operating system) and the lineage 2 game client are not forced to share read/write access with fraps. I've never worked on the newer solid state drives, but I can only assume the same principles apply. If you currently have 1 SSD, use that drive for your operating system/Lineage client. The second drive can be whatever cheapola you can find that still uses SATA (black plastic L shaped connectors).

Remember that THE HARD DRIVE THAT THE FRAPS VIDEO FILES ARE ON IS GOING TO TAKE A SERIOUS BEATING EVERY TIME YOU RECORD AND ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU EDIT OFF IT. Hard drives are cheap and easy to install, so buy a spare. Hardware now is like legos - they only fit one way. As long as the plugs/pins are firmly in place, things should just "work". Formatting the drive from within windows 7 is the only thing you might need to do before telling fraps to put its files on that drive (hit windows key, right click Computer, select "manage", select "disc management" on the left, right click the new drive and select "format" using the NTFS option).

Recording Game Footage-
It doesn't matter what resolution you play it, as we will custom fit your footage to a 1280x720 .mp4 format.

cont'd

Last edited by Cook; 09-07-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Cook
Dark Knight

Default Re: finalElf's 2011 Vegas Video + Fraps + YouTube Guide

Start fraps:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2u4hvmw.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/1z5229t.png
http://i55.tinypic.com/28a54j6.png

F: on my machine is my second hard drive. You can make it any letter you wish as long as it is a separate drive from where you run Windows 7 and L2.

I use <alt>+<1> as my hotkey because it never gets bumped and so my hand doesn't have to move far from wasd and the rest of my binds to turn it on.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
Cook
Dark Knight

Open your game client. Log in.

Once ingame, click <right alt>+<enter> to go out of or into windowed mode.

Left click and drag your game client window (so you are moving it, not resizing it) as high as you can. When you release the mouse button it should auto-fit itself to your desktop without hiding the windows toolbar.

http://i53.tinypic.com/t6ufll.png

Now when fraps records, it will be recording in whatever resolution your actual screen is minus that bottom portion where the windows buttons are visible.

We will adjust the video in Vegas' timeline later to fit into a 1280x720 window.

Record some ingame footage.

Open Vegas Video. Click "file" then "new". Use the following project settings:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ql9ves.png

Left click and drag the video from your secondary hard drive into Vegas' timeline:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2rzpgr7.png
Old 08-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Cook
Dark Knight

Right click the video on the timeline. Select event pan/crop. In the window that pops up, right click inside the square and click "match output aspect". Left click and drag inside the same box so that the box covers the leftmost portion of your screen and cuts off the rightmost portion (if there is one, depending on your resolution). When that is done you can click the x to close that window. This is shown in more detail here.

http://i53.tinypic.com/sq6yyv.png
http://i56.tinypic.com/30bo0mg.png

Finally, upload your completed video to youtube. Give it at least an hour to re-render the .mp4 into its .flv format.

This completes the basics of getting a Lineage 2 fraps recording off your hard drive and onto the web in a high resolution, streaming format using Fraps, Vegas Video and YouTube. Please continue reading to learn more about editing a Fraps recording of Lineage 2 in Sony's Vegas Video 10.0.

Last edited by Cook; 08-24-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
Syndella
Purgatory Shadow

Syndella will become famous soon enough

Very nice Thanks for your efforts!!
Syndella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #6
Laby
Valakas

Laby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of light

Nice guide indeed.

I personally use the Xvid codec, i found it very nice for the weight/quality ratio
Laby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #7
Ykara
Zaken

Ykara will become famous soon enough

Go go.. I need the rest..

I just need to find a way to install a <beep> mp3 codec for Audio... most I've seen aren't working under Vegas/Win7x64b
Ykara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
Laby
Valakas

Laby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of light

I always use PCM Uncompressed. But I just saw there is one "MPeg Layer 3". It doesn't work ?
Laby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #9
Ykara
Zaken

Not working on my Vegas :|

PCM uncompressed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLktbVVSGI

Last edited by Ykara; 08-10-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #10
Cook
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ykara View Post
What is the error?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
Cook
Dark Knight

I will finish this guide up this coming Friday. My brain will be sharper then, and I want this guide to be worth the time people take to read it.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
Ykara
Zaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by _-=finalElf=-_ View Post
What is the error?
Dunno.. after installing the MP3 codec "successfully".. it doesn't appear in Vegas Sound options.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #13
Cook
Dark Knight

Quote:
Dunno.. after installing the MP3 codec "successfully".. it doesn't appear in Vegas Sound options.
here are the default audio settings I have used and am using successfully at the moment. This settings are under "render as" in the audio tab of custom template:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2wd3qjp.png
Old 08-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #14
Cook
Dark Knight

Quote:
What do you need a special mp3 codec for? Is there some audio component you are unable to import onto the timeline (game sounds/music)?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #15
Ykara
Zaken

Idea for compressing sound.. was making final output smaller.

Settings for youtubed video below

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...onpt/loldh.jpg

Quote:

PCM uncompressed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLktbVVSGI
Old 08-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #16
Cook
Dark Knight

Don't kill yourself over a couple megs, Ykara. Remember YouTube is going to filter any audio encoding you do into their own format.

People have the connection and the hardware now to handle higher quality stuff with less compression (especially the audio component, which is tiny compared to the video).

Perfection is a noble goal - just don't get lost in your efforts to make something that entertains both you and other people.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #17
Ykara
Zaken

I need to get skills to add effects/zooms/text over, etc.. I'm planning a quit video..
Old 08-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #18
Cook
Dark Knight

So far we have covered fraps settings, lineage 2 settings, Vegas project settings, importing a fraps recording onto Vegas' timeline, matching output aspect, and rendering a video. Please review those sections if you have not done so already.

Breaking a video block into sections/cropping a video -

Left click and drag a fraps .avi recording onto the Vegas timeline. Make sure you remember to set the project settings properly (file->properties) such that it is 1280x720.

http://i55.tinypic.com/dmy786.png

As mentioned earlier, click the "event pan/crop" icon pictured above at point 1c.

In the "event pan/crop" popup window, right click anywhere on the video itself and select "match output aspect" as pictured below:
http://i56.tinypic.com/332wi00.png

http://i53.tinypic.com/2eow7xl.png

Left click and drag at point 2a (pictured) such that the leftmost portion of the video is shown.

Click the x in the upper right portion of the "event pan/crop" window to close.

Let's say that you don't want to show the first 15 seconds or so of the video you recorded. To edit that part out, left click and drag at point 1a to the right. You will see where you are in the video in the video preview window.

We can do the same thing to edit out the end of the video by left clicking and dragging toward the center of the video block from the extreme right edge.

To speed up or slow down a video, hold control while left clicking and dragging at point 1a. Instead of cropping the video, it will keep everything you recorded BUT speed it up or slow it down. When you do this an accordion-like zigzag line will be visible spanning from left to right on the video block. This means the video has been squeezed or stretched to show the same series of events within a longer or shorter period of time. It is easy to get lost cropping and changing play speed - but we can always just delete this video block from the timeline and drag a new copy of it from the folder we got it from. More than one instance of the same video can be imported onto the timeline (to do a slowmo instant replay, for instance).

Once you have edited out the first portion, or sped up the video such that the total length is shorter, we need to slide the entire video to the beginning of the timeline. To move a video+audio block along the timeline, left click and drag at point 1b.

In the case that you recorded ventrilo or there is some background noise associated with the video you imported onto the timeline that you don't want to be there, right click the audio block (directly under the video block and below point 1b), select "group", then click "remove from". You can now right click the audio segment and delete it from the timeline without removing the associated video. The same can be done in reverse if you want the audio and not the video portion.

Last edited by Cook; 08-24-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #19
populus
Antharas

populus has a spectacular aura about thempopulus has a spectacular aura about thempopulus has a spectacular aura about them

h264 (MP4) + AAC is the best combo ever

Only problem with it is the streaming part where you wanna pick a random time in the video before it's loaded... well youtube takes care of that for you :P

I tried compressing a 7Mbit/s video (supposedly 1080p quality) to 700Kbit/s... so 1/10th the filesize for I'd say 80% the quality! Xvid and Divx always gave me issues with tearing and artifacts if I compressed it beyond a certain amount

Oh and another thing bad about h264, it's slow to compress :< but I think it's well worth it!
populus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:11 AM   #20
Cook
Dark Knight

http://i53.tinypic.com/9zpxe.png

The + and - buttons at and around point 3c allow you to zoom into our out of your workspace. This is useful when trying to edit long blocks of video, or when timing a video effect to occur within 1/10th of a second (to match the beat of a song, for instance). Clicking these buttons will have no effect on the rendered video itself. They only exist to modify your workspace.

Two video segments can be slid partially over each other to make a transition. The default transition effect is fade.

To fade out of (or into) a video without using another video block, right click in the grey area to the right of point 1c (or above 3b) and select "insert empty event". This blank block of video can be slid over the beginning or ending of a video block to fade into or out of blackness.

Inserting an empty event can also be done by right clicking the grey area to the right of the audio block (below the video block) and inserting an empty event - this time the empty event is a "sound" event. You can overlap the beginning or ending portions of a song to create a fade in/fade out effect. This is extremely useful when your footage doesn't cover the entire song, or when you want to use more than one song with silence/game sounds between.

To add a video effect, left click and drag at point 3a down to 3b. This will apply that video effect to that video block only (and not the blocks around it).

The same goes for transitions - which are just video effects applied to overlapping portions of video blocks. Left click and drag the desired effect onto the video timeline where two video blocks overlap.

Remember that to undo anything you can always hit control+z. If you are not sure what you just did, use this to go back.

Pictured above is a video project with 2 video timelines and 2 audio timelines (only 1 of the 2 audio segments is visible in this screenshot).

The topmost video timeline (3d) will overlap any video timelines below it. If the video in that timeline is 800x600, and the timeline below it is 1280x720, the rendered video will show an 800x600 box in the center of a 1280x720 box. Skip this next sentence if you are confused - If the project itself was 1920x1080, the rendered video would look like a 3 leveled pyramid from directly above, with an 800x600 box centered in a 1280x720 box centered in a 1920x1080 box.

When two video blocks are placed one above the other, such as video timelines 3d and 3e above, the rendered video is called a "composite" of these two overlapping video blocks. When the top video block is solid text with a transparent background, the rendered video will show the video in the bottom timeline with solid text overlapping it.

Use "event pan/crop" (same button as point 1c) to tweak where and how a video portion overlaps another.

In the above picture, the timeline labeled "3d" is used only for overlapping video blocks of text on top of the video block recorded from Lineage 2 (timeline "3e").

To add a block of text to a video timeline, right click in the grey area above 3b and click "insert text media". A new box will pop up containing some default text in a huge font. You can tweak the font size, type, color, opacity, position over time (movement effect), outline, and a few other things all in this popup box.

These generated text boxes act just like any other video block. You can cut off the beginning or ending, speed them up/slow them down, and apply any and all video effects just like you would to the fraps recording video block below.

In the next post we will begin working with "keyframes" - a tool we will use to control camera zoom and the intensity of special effects as changing values over a period of seconds (creating the illusion of a moving camera for instance).

Last edited by Cook; 08-24-2011 at 12:17 PM.