Lineage II Forums  
Go Back   Lineage II Forums > Lineage II Discussion > Dev Corner

Login

Dev Corner Questions and answers from the people behind the scenes of Lineage II. Only mods can start threads in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #81
ChikariShu
Heathen Knight

ChikariShu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Executive Producer's Letter to the Community

hmmmm
come to think of it
is this Aion .. maybe about the angel race ?
they exsisted long before all others no ?

is this Aion game a sneak previeuw of what awaits us in L3 ?

or is Lineage 2 just gonna be an evolving game,
one that never ends (i would love that) with regular world and race
adds to never let the attention go down ?

There's still plenty possibilities to add races
and more then enough places to add since we only have a half world map
everything on the other side of aden town is still missing to make a globe
world map.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #82
___Darkrich___
Heathen Knight

___Darkrich___ will become famous soon enough

The reason for never advertising this game is that its probably deemed obscure and not suited to american culture. ie: It wont do very well or be popular in america/western countries, advertising will not be cost effective and will be a waste of money.

The business people making that call should rethink though imo

As far as I can see the mmo community is sick of the same old recipe based initially on EQ (wow, conan, aion.. u name it).

Do it lol try with one short advertising campaign and see what the results are.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #83
ChikariShu
Heathen Knight

ChikariShu is on a distinguished road

Definately agree,

When i talk to people arround me
they all dotn know why some games get full publicity shows
like WOW for instance we had publicity everywhere
and it shows too on its success, people just bite one publicity

too lazy to go search for themselves
they want it served on a goldes dish named TV
or on a silver platter named "their weekly game magazine"

they eat out of those two palms mostly

Advertising anny game is a must for success
Old 11-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #84
Elpy
Tainted Zombie

Elpy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikariShu View Post
Definately agree,

When i talk to people arround me
they all dotn know why some games get full publicity shows
like WOW for instance we had publicity everywhere
and it shows too on its success, people just bite one publicity

too lazy to go search for themselves
they want it served on a goldes dish named TV
or on a silver platter named "their weekly game magazine"

they eat out of those two palms mostly

Advertising anny game is a must for success

Well you could say they have atleast advertising at steam. But well ^^ i would say it when someone read the lineage 2 critic they wouldnt even think about starting lineage 2. Also most ppl stop after short beginning cause they see how hard it is to get anything legit so they are not interested and go to high Rate or other easiert games. The problem is not just the advertising thing. Its the whole difficult of the game.

To the Advertising:

I just found the game cause the sister of a friend played on freeshard and so we started freeshard too and then we came to retail. Before that i never heard about the game. And when someone ask me "what are you playing" and i say "lineage2" the dunno what iam talkin about.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:35 AM   #85
Mardonius
Banned

Mardonius will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpy View Post
Well you could say they have atleast advertising at steam. But well ^^ i would say it when someone read the lineage 2 critic they wouldnt even think about starting lineage 2. Also most ppl stop after short beginning cause they see how hard it is to get anything legit so they are not interested and go to high Rate or other easiert games. The problem is not just the advertising thing. Its the whole difficult of the game.

To the Advertising:

I just found the game cause the sister of a friend played on freeshard and so we started freeshard too and then we came to retail. Before that i never heard about the game. And when someone ask me "what are you playing" and i say "lineage2" the dunno what iam talkin about.
Everyone wanted an easy game where everything was "legit" they would go to private servers? LMAO logic bad!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 04:59 AM   #86
Skinfaxy
Thunder Wyrm

Skinfaxy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardonius View Post
Everyone wanted an easy game where everything was "legit" they would go to private servers? LMAO logic bad!!!
Fyi there are private servers with almost 0 bot-ers, can't say the same about retail. A lot of people started playing here after they tried the game on those servers ( because most of us never ever saw a Lineage advertise), and believe me those communities have nicer people and helpful staff.
Don't go around talk about things you have no knowledge of.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:31 AM   #87
MrsDestinyV
Hungry Spirit

MrsDestinyV is an unknown quantity at this point

It's Lineage ][ forum here...
Old 01-25-2010, 04:05 AM   #88
Sirchytael
Goblin Lord

Sirchytael is an unknown quantity at this point

Sturm would that be "Sturm Brightblade"...... By chance??????
Old 01-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #89
DrakkosIV
Beleth's Slave

DrakkosIV is just really niceDrakkosIV is just really niceDrakkosIV is just really niceDrakkosIV is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ___Darkrich___ View Post
The reason for never advertising this game is that its probably deemed obscure and not suited to american culture. ie: It wont do very well or be popular in america/western countries, advertising will not be cost effective and will be a waste of money.

The business people making that call should rethink though imo

As far as I can see the mmo community is sick of the same old recipe based initially on EQ (wow, conan, aion.. u name it).

Do it lol try with one short advertising campaign and see what the results are.
Darkrich, advertising in this circumstance would be iffy, imo. The question is return on the investment for advertising.
L2 is an alternate template as I see it. Basically as it is predicated in Korea, it's a long-term commitment game that by its design will hold subscribers. In other words since 'most' new players have not been able to log on for 2 months and hit end-game, its foundation actually holds subscribers to a degree.
In short, if you stepped back and considered L2 and asked the question....."is it better for L2 to be good at 'recruiting new players' or more logical for them to 'retain existing ones'?...the overall template for L2 would suggest that retention is more important than recruiting.

Now let's take WoW or better yet, Call of duty 4 on one of the deck systems---do 'most' people play those games for years and years? Not so much. Relatively quick ramp up times and in short order as a new subscriber you are emersed in meaningful content. For these types of platforms, they HAVE to attract new subscribers, because there is little real long-term content to hold players over time.

Two DIFFERENT theories. One says (basically): We'll get 30,000 accounts and keep them for an average of 12 months (ala L2). We'll have 360,000 monthly subsciption payments, but ONLY for 1 year! 5 years from now our game will die. We'll promote free content upgrades to keep subscribers loyal/interested.
The WoW-like (CoD4'ish) says: We'll shoot for 20,000 NEW accounts EVERY month for as long as we can generate excitement through advertising. We'll sell new VERSIONS every 9 months to attract NEW players to replace those who already quit. We don't have to keep things very interesting over time--our players won't stay engaged anyway! Our plan is to run this game until it's replaced by the next big thing (which we'll jump into with a new product anyway).

I believe THIS is why L2 doesn't advertise--because in their business model it was never a vital principle to attract legions of new players. They count on the (think back 5 years now) immersion into the game to HOLD players month after month after month.

Polar opposite CoD4, which I pretty much got the hang of in 2 days. No reason to log on after a month.
Those devs NEED new blood cause their template is so thin.
Let's concede that WoW is somewhere in between the two extremes.

So why doesn't L2 just advertise? We see this constantly as a question.
As someone who runs a business for a living, I think the answer is (in part at least), "because it isn't foundational to their business model to do so".

The other answer (again in part) is that their platform is wildly successful in their home market. I'll bet metrics show them that ROI for ad $$'s in the US is not substantial, as well.

My 2 bits on the topic.
~D~

If you're selling cellphones, you better have an ad on TV (and everywhere else) roughly every 5 minutes--or the person buying one might choose someone else!
If you're selling Nursing Home rooms/slots, advertising doesn't need to be particularly frequent. Your residents will be staying for awhile and you have modest replacement needs.
Closed Thread