Lineage II Forums  
Go Back   Lineage II Forums > News and Information > News & Announcements

Login


News & Announcements Official information of importance to everyone.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2017, 04:36 PM   #21
Hime
Community Manager
 
Hime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 203
Hime is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Forum Upgrade - December 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marw View Post
It's quite funny answer but ok... Just please don't delete this one and keep it read only forever. Sometimes I read topics from old servers... I miss that times.
It won't be deleted. It'll be read only for a good while. Because the forum is on an older server, it will have be to retired at some point.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:41 PM   #22
Znipoo
Remnant Diabolist
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,888
Znipoo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Forum Upgrade - December 7

Why would you do this though?
The amount of people complaining that the forum here is broken is 0, it works fine.


This is like when GoD arrived and the main website was changed, I feel this change will be exactly that.
And since you have no idea what im talking about since you were not around back then..
Compare this > http://legacy.lineage2.com/
To this > http://www.lineage2.com/en/

I want you to open the "new and improved" website & find me relevant information of the game as it looks today.
Now do the same on the legacy website.

Why fix what is not broken?
The new forums will be hard to navigate to find relevant information (threads), thats the biggest issue, not going to mention the minimalistic design of it (which is also stupid).
Znipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:56 AM   #23
Pleistoros
Heathen Knight
 
Pleistoros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bucharest
Posts: 650
Pleistoros is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Forum Upgrade - December 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hime View Post
It won't be deleted. It'll be read only for a good while. Because the forum is on an older server, it will have be to retired at some point.
soooo, our harware server is old ......lets instal a new forum and f%$# everybody life.
You know you are in 2017 not in 1990?
Its embarasing you didnt find a way to move forum on another harware without disturbing players with unnecessary changes.
Pleistoros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:34 PM   #24
Hime
Community Manager
 
Hime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 203
Hime is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Forum Upgrade - December 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleistoros View Post
soooo, our harware server is old ......lets instal a new forum and f%$# everybody life.
You know you are in 2017 not in 1990?
Its embarasing you didnt find a way to move forum on another harware without disturbing players with unnecessary changes.
You can read the question I responded too with my quote. The old forum will still be read only for a good time, but will have to retire at some point due to the server being dated. can see my other response here on why we are moving to a new forum solution: http://boards.lineage2.com/showpost....7&postcount=13

Because it is 2017, we are moving to a new forum solution and also the new forums will be on a new server. By moving over, all of our game forums will be on the same platform allowing better issue troubleshooting and overall forum management. We understand the change is big, but it will be a better experience and the forums won't look like it was from the 1990s.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #25
BornInHell
Purgatory Shadow
 
BornInHell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York/Toronto
Posts: 515
BornInHell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Forum Upgrade - December 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hime View Post
You can read the question I responded too with my quote. The old forum will still be read only for a good time, but will have to retire at some point due to the server being dated. can see my other response here on why we are moving to a new forum solution: http://boards.lineage2.com/showpost....7&postcount=13

Because it is 2017, we are moving to a new forum solution and also the new forums will be on a new server. By moving over, all of our game forums will be on the same platform allowing better issue troubleshooting and overall forum management. We understand the change is big, but it will be a better experience and the forums won't look like it was from the 1990s.
Would you mind posting downtown time for both salvation patch and forum?
BornInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #26
Katastrophe
Imperial Warlord
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,156
Katastrophe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Forum Upgrade - December 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hime View Post
The patch notes are PRELIMINARY patch notes. If you think the patch notes aren't formatted well, think about how we received them and how we had to make it in a readable format. It isn't perfect. We know.

I know it's crazy to think we have more than 1 person working on Lineage II, but we teams in the organization that do more specialized work than work on patch notes.



We chose not to migrate so everybody can have a fresh start on the new forums.
*sigh* another bug / laziness that NCSoft tries to pass off as a feature. What is new, however, is the complete indifference that Hime treats us, the paying customers, with. Community managers tend to be short-lived around here, and I strongly hope NCSoft will start looking for a replacement while there is still a community to manage, and players to play this game.

*Just when you think they've hit rock bottom, someone buys this customer service team a drill so they can keep digging.*

If you're not going to help, at least show empathy. Making fun of customers is NEVER a good thing.
Katastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #27
QbaQ
Elpy
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 13
QbaQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Forum Upgrade - December 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hime View Post
Because it is 2017, we are moving to a new forum solution and also the new forums will be on a new server. By moving over, all of our game forums will be on the same platform allowing better issue troubleshooting and overall forum management. We understand the change is big, but it will be a better experience and the forums won't look like it was from the 1990s.
Hmmm let me see this whole game looks like from 1990s and we all still play it. Your point isn't valid at all. Biggest problem of NCwest is that you all think your players are all children.

You can't get how so old game can have so old dedicated players. Shame that you all dont care.
QbaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #28
Hime
Community Manager
 
Hime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 203
Hime is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Forum Upgrade - December 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by QbaQ View Post
Hmmm let me see this whole game looks like from 1990s and we all still play it. Your point isn't valid at all. Biggest problem of NCwest is that you all think your players are all children.

You can't get how so old game can have so old dedicated players. Shame that you all dont care.
QbaQ, I don't think that's a fair comparison --- game vs the forums, and there are many reasons for the forum upgrade as I have stated including a more modern look and an overall better forum to use. There will be a small adjustment period when we transition, but it will look better and be better to use.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:01 PM   #29
araoncro
Tainted Zombie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 77
araoncro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Forum Upgrade - December 7

There is no reason you cant migrate the forum database except your unwillingness to do it, since it does not create $.
araoncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #30
Ashleigh
Grave Predator
 
Ashleigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kain
Posts: 445
Ashleigh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Forum Upgrade - December 7

Holy crap you people cry a lot...this game sucks and nobody should play it, but who cares about about getting better, newer forums.

When we switch over I'm going to log in all my alt accounts created just to steal all your forum names so then I can listen to you all cry on the new forums as well.
Ashleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:31 PM   #31
araoncro
Tainted Zombie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 77
araoncro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Forum Upgrade - December 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleigh View Post
Holy crap you people cry a lot...
There has not been a single forum that sucessfully survived a complete database whipe, or lets call it migration to new system, after being in use for 10+ years (I'm gonna say we are around 12 years at this point).

This is not just a place where people come to cry, even most of participating users do that, it's a place where people come for guidance. Some members have inputed thousands of hours into contributing usefull information and jsut outright saying this is obsolete is beyond offensive.
Even though the current forum will exist in "archive" form nobody will be visiting it and duplicate questions will start creeping up. These will be replied with links ot "archived" forum and eventually all content generated by users will get removed when the "archived" forum gets deleted and what you will end up is a bunch of posts with dead links.

I personally dont care if the new forum has the current posts, since my contribution to this comunity is non existant. But it is sad to see that quality content is being obsolited just because nobody has a will to write a migration script, if one does not exist - a task even a mediocre developer can handle in couple of hours.
araoncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:03 AM   #32
QbaQ
Elpy
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 13
QbaQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Forum Upgrade - December 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hime View Post
QbaQ, I don't think that's a fair comparison --- game vs the forums, and there are many reasons for the forum upgrade as I have stated including a more modern look and an overall better forum to use. There will be a small adjustment period when we transition, but it will look better and be better to use.
Dont get me wrong, but you said that the reason for the changes taking place on the forum is because of its old-fashioned appearance. Im front-end dev myself so modern look is something im faceing everyday. That has nothing to do with what im refering to.

I refer to the fact of deleting user accounts and the whole database. That is in fact something you could avoid. Some ppl are here from forum start and you are treating them same like someone who just started.

As you can see im not much of a forum writer. Anyway i see lack of respect for users who are.
QbaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #33
OzzDragon
Elpy
 
OzzDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11
OzzDragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Forum Upgrade - December 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by QbaQ View Post
I refer to the fact of deleting user accounts and the whole database. That is in fact something you could avoid. Some ppl are here from forum start and you are treating them same like someone who just started.
+1 QbaQ

Good point.

For example, I had chat with a clan member last night as he pushed his toon from lvl 80 to lvl 85 so he could awaken and get out of the academy. The convo was brief but poignant. He asked what it was like to lvl in beta days/prelude compared to now. How can one compare the two and describe the time it took to gain each level nevermind the questing and grinding? You would've had to have experienced it.

Our history, our proof may not be in-game anymore but some of it is on these very forums... and is slated to be deleted?

I'm all up for new and improved and moving with the times, so to speak, but removing so many years of our history to make way for such a move is something I have a problem with.
OzzDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.