Lineage II Forums  
Go Back   Lineage II Forums > News and Information > News & Announcements

Login

News & Announcements Official information of importance to everyone.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #1
Hime
Community Manager

Hime is on a distinguished road
Default Ongoing Service Impact

Hello all,

We wanted to let you know that we are aware of and monitoring direct denial of service attacks directed at our games. If you’ve been experiencing connection drops, or sporadic high latency, please know that we’re closely watching the situation and working to mitigate them as quickly as possible. We'll be posting updates on the @L2andAionOps account on this and any other service impacting issues.

If you’re experiencing connection or latency issues which you believe to be outside of these attacks, we ask that you please submit a support ticket so we can collect additional information.

We appreciate your understanding and patience.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:08 AM   #2
golemka
Beleth's Slave

golemka is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ongoing Service Impact

Guess why xD
golemka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:42 AM   #3
Jagtiger
Purgatory Shadow

Jagtiger is an unknown quantity at this point

Jagtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:57 AM   #4
LylSpoiler
Tainted Zombie

LylSpoiler is an unknown quantity at this point

ty at least for finally a response....
LylSpoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
PwnByVayne
Goblin Lord

PwnByVayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Ongoing Service Impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by golemka View Post
Guess why xD

why ???
PwnByVayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
Bruno/ sayha's AFRODITY
Elpy

Bruno/ sayha's AFRODITY is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Ongoing Service Impact

Patience we will have, because we know that you are working to correct these problems, but somehow we need a reward to pay the damages, something that is better than Angel Cat, because it is really impossible to play.
Bruno/ sayha's AFRODITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:49 AM   #7
Goliaths
Elpy

Goliaths is an unknown quantity at this point

DDOS attacks / piracy of computer networks is a federal offence once u found out who is responsible and mitigated the issue you should inform the FBI.

you could have traffic go through amazon web service they supposed to have algorithm to detect and deter these kind of attacks for their customers

a little hint if u banned some nova characters you should probably look that way sounds like the same issue you had a year or so ago when nova leaders and/or Martelx got banned. Have you banned a character named m87 recently aka martelx. his name is William if that can help you send the authorities.
Goliaths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #8
rmx316_
Dark Knight

rmx316_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliaths View Post
DDOS attacks / piracy of computer networks is a federal offence once u found out who is responsible and mitigated the issue you should inform the FBI.

you could have traffic go through amazon web service they supposed to have algorithm to detect and deter these kind of attacks for their customers

a little hint if u banned some nova characters you should probably look that way sounds like the same issue you had a year or so ago when nova leaders and/or Martelx got banned. Have you banned a character named m87 recently aka martelx. his name is William if that can help you send the authorities.
Did you actually believe the hero/world chats about M87 being MartelX? lol.
rmx316_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #9
Jacky
Remnant Diabolist

Jacky is on a distinguished road

Well few weeks +50% to base exp would fix the hassle
Jacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:45 AM   #10
Yidao
Zaken

Yidao is a glorious beacon of lightYidao is a glorious beacon of lightYidao is a glorious beacon of lightYidao is a glorious beacon of lightYidao is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
... a little hint if u banned some nova characters you should probably look that way sounds like the same issue you had a year or so ago when nova leaders and/or Martelx got banned. Have you banned a character named m87 recently aka martelx. his name is William if that can help you send the authorities.
Hime spoke of "our games" (plural). These attacks might as well be related to MxM - Juji going on a rampage. Or maybe it's the anti-low-level protocol of which Magnakai became an innocent victim. The new anti-bot works for all NCsoft games, and you can see the big RMT companies also on screenshots from all games. They seem to be severely hurt, which means that the people in Austin are actually doing their job
Yidao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #11
Jacky
Remnant Diabolist

Jacky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yidao View Post
Hime spoke of "our games" (plural). These attacks might as well be related to MxM - Juji going on a rampage. Or maybe it's the anti-low-level protocol of which Magnakai became an innocent victim. The new anti-bot works for all NCsoft games, and you can see the big RMT companies also on screenshots from all games. They seem to be severely hurt, which means that the people in Austin are actually doing their job
well that's good smash them rmters slackers go to work!
Jacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #12
Tool_of_Society
Thunder Wyrm

Tool_of_Society is an unknown quantity at this point

I submitted a ticket because one of my desktops is having an issue with lineage 2 clients disconnecting on it. All three clients will d/c at the same time. Even with just one client running it'll dc after a couple minutes. All other online games on that machine stays connected fine. I think the problem is that I pinged the server for a few hours yesterday on accident. I fell asleep on accident thus leaving that machine pinging away for hours.

It's not my network and I have installed no updates. Not even the AV has been updated.

THe other 2 desktops and the 2 laptops I have all stay connected fine so it's not on my end.

So my belief is that the machine was flagged via the DDOS protection being used.
Tool_of_Society is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:39 AM   #13
Devoid
Purgatory Shadow

Devoid is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Welcome to the internet. I can tell you are new here. The denial part of the attack is executed by a large amount of general purpose computing devices, including personally and privately owned as well as belonging to the public sector (governmental institutions). Let's just name all these devices, regardless of who factually owns them "sleeper agents".

The model of activating these sleeper agents has been devised, implemented and tested a long time ago, with the most notable successful execution example being Torpig/Sinowal distributed via Mebroot (primarily over Win XP). An article with a brief design overview can be found here.

The idea is that a full software installation, configuration and distribution platform is developed for enterprise customers, then a special variation (rootkit) is created and published to the world using both social engineering (fake emails/websites) as well as both reported/fixed and unreported 0-day exploits. Access to pre-deployed rootkit instances is then sold to anyone willing to do business.
It's those who purchase the access to aforementioned instances that actually deploy malware/backdoors that steal passwords or direct the computers to offload valid traffic onto a specific service.

As with Torpig/Sinowal, there is never anything that would link some actual person(s) with the stolen data and/or carried out denial of service attacks.

And no court of law would ever dare to sentence any person/private entity/government institution for "negligence to protect their computing devices from misuse".
Devoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:20 AM   #14
Tool_of_Society
Thunder Wyrm

Tool_of_Society is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoid View Post
Welcome to the internet. I can tell you are new here. The denial part of the attack is executed by a large amount of general purpose computing devices, including personally and privately owned as well as belonging to the public sector (governmental institutions). Let's just name all these devices, regardless of who factually owns them "sleeper agents".

The model of activating these sleeper agents has been devised, implemented and tested a long time ago, with the most notable successful execution example being Torpig/Sinowal distributed via Mebroot (primarily over Win XP). An article with a brief design overview can be found here.

The idea is that a full software installation, configuration and distribution platform is developed for enterprise customers, then a special variation (rootkit) is created and published to the world using both social engineering (fake emails/websites) as well as both reported/fixed and unreported 0-day exploits. Access to pre-deployed rootkit instances is then sold to anyone willing to do business.
It's those who purchase the access to aforementioned instances that actually deploy malware/backdoors that steal passwords or direct the computers to offload valid traffic onto a specific service.

As with Torpig/Sinowal, there is never anything that would link some actual person(s) with the stolen data and/or carried out denial of service attacks.

And no court of law would ever dare to sentence any person/private entity/government institution for "negligence to protect their computing devices from misuse".
EDIT : So I figured out today what was happening with my secondary machine. The secondary machine has a static IP as I use it to host teamspeak/mumble/ftp/etc. For some reason one of the phones is demanding to have that IP on the wifi. So whenever that phone had wifi turned on it would interfere with the secondary machine. So I changed the static IP and adjusted the firewall to perma fix the problem. It's really weird that the phone kept getting that IP as DHCP is setup for wifi connections.

Like you said most if not all the machines doing the actual work of the DDOS are zombies. That's why the internet of things is a potentially terrible idea as keeping all that secure is a nightmare. When you discover your fridge has been spamming people's emails you'll understand.. OR the children's toys that were hacked... etc etc

My secondary machine is no longer having issues staying connected and NCsoft's support responded to my ticket exactly 1 hour and 20 minutes after I posted it. I'm quite surprised as I've had some less than stellar interactions in the past with ncsupport. So kudos for getting on the ball there.

Last edited by Tool_of_Society; 07-10-2017 at 03:21 AM. Reason: FIGURED IT OUT
Tool_of_Society is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:46 PM   #15
SpiritX
Elpy

SpiritX is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Ongoing Service Impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hime View Post
Hello all,

We wanted to let you know that we are aware of and monitoring direct denial of service attacks directed at our games. If you’ve been experiencing connection drops, or sporadic high latency, please know that we’re closely watching the situation and working to mitigate them as quickly as possible. We'll be posting updates on the @L2andAionOps account on this and any other service impacting issues.

If you’re experiencing connection or latency issues which you believe to be outside of these attacks, we ask that you please submit a support ticket so we can collect additional information.

any new ?

still lost packets lineage2
SpiritX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:55 AM   #16
Bumbaclot
Thunder Wyrm

Bumbaclot is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hime View Post
Hello all,

Finally you admit it.

You ban the whole CIS, but still aware of DDoS? qq
Bumbaclot is offline   Reply With Quote