Lineage II Forums  
Go Back   Lineage II Forums > Community Corner > Tales of Aden and Elmore

Login

Tales of Aden and Elmore Post your stories and character bios here.

Old 01-19-2005, 01:37 PM   #41
TheIronGolem
Purgatory Shadow

TheIronGolem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Grouping disaster

as a lvl 3x wizard I find the issues is this. When I am in a group I can never be sure what they want from me. Do they want my nukes? or am I there for more of a crowd control aspect with group poision, and Aoe skills. Nowmall I run in eg with a dwarf scav and he collects a big trn runs into the middle of them spoil festivals the lot and I nuke them with 2 bsps shots. Other times though I find group pull more mobs since I can take 1 out by myself. the problem is than I end up sitting for a much longer time. More than once I end up sitting while the tank and dagger go at it.
TheIronGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:30 PM   #42
Jute
Beleth's Slave

Jute will become famous soon enoughJute will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Grouping disaster

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people do that? All itís done is cheapen the system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, its become what was known it would become, its mostly players that had the misconception that the blue system is about "honor" or such. Its like recommending a shop that does good service, this doesn't mean that its trustworthy or honorable, only that to YOU they helped you. This is how it works in L2 as well. I usually recommend people, if they take their time out to give their mana and time, the least I can do is give a click back, and everyone can do that.

Heck, I use the system too, just to show how silly it is to believe its about honor or trust.

I know that sounds rather harsh, but its the reality of L2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the part that really bothers me is the asking for the rec. Giving it to someone who has taken time, etc. I'm all for. I just don't like someone asking me to do it. It just shows that their buff wasn't given freely, but with motive...then on the other side, I'm cynical enough to know we all do things with a motive in mind, even if the motive is something like friendship or making ourselves feel good.
[url="http://boards.lineage2.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=161749&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#161749"] A Day in the Life [/url]
[url="http://jute.dreamhosters.com/lineageii/bestiary"] Jute's Site[/url]
Jute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 05:43 PM   #43
Jute
Beleth's Slave

Default PK PK!

Iím feeling much better and my days of playing interspersed with sleep will come to an end with my return to work tomorrow. Iíll miss the time in L2, however itís not without guilt.

Iíve never yet been able to make complete peace with the time that I take to play these games. Somewhere in the back of my mind a small, yet strident voice reminds me of all the useful things I could be doing instead of playing, like cleaning house, curing cancer or campaigning for world peace. I know people that have played so much theyíve lost their spouse or their job. I spend less time in Aden than most of my peers spend watching television. However, the allure of immersing yourself in these worlds is very strong and especially with the chaos of the world today, itís easy to lose yourself. I try to make sure I keep a balance and give no ammunition to that annoying voice.

The day crowd has a different flavor than the evening. At night, a small group gathers around one of the gates testing each other. There are feints and friendly fights. There always seem to be someone with a colored name from these matches. Itís obvious they know each other by their taunts.

During the day, this gate is void of the rowdy life of later hours. More people seem intent on leveling and since it is prime time in the European community, there is a large representation of various nations.

My pair have now made it to level 14, the fighter without even one death, the mystic with more than I care to count. I had just gotten a new spell on the mystic and was hoping to try it out. One of the fascinating things I find about Linage is how you have to think carefully about how to spend your SP. You can make your leveling much more difficult by getting the wrong spell or skill at an early stage. On the dwarves it wasnít so difficult to pick, since they didnít have the variety of a spellcaster. However even with them, there were still choices. With my mystic, itís much more necessary to choose wisely.

To test the spell, I had decided to go to a field usually identified by the ruins there. I had been there before, but the area was frequently monopolized by a dwarf and a light elf pair that killed the area with mechanical precision. Iíd ended up bumping against them once before when I attempted to kill one of the mobs near their killing spree. The dwarf had quickly moved in, spoiled my mob and finished it off, scooping up the pile of gold.

As I searched for mobs to kill, nearby I noticed the same pair on a hill, however there was a third character, a Dark Elf. At first, I wasnít sure what was going on, but soon both the light elf and the dwarf were dead. The bright red name on the dark elf, showed who had done the deed. He shouted in the main channel that heíd killed some farmers and not to kill him. I couldnít have killed him even if Iíd had the desire. But I watched in fascination as he began to work off the Karma. Killing mobs and dying until his name was first a light pink, then finally a pure white as he played no part in creating the dead pair who still lay at his feet.

I was distracted by a mob attacking me and had to run. When I returned, the pair still lay there where they had fallen and the Dark Elf was gone. I head a shout in general that heíd gone to kill another farmer pair over the mountain.

I worked at killing the mobs in the area, glancing occasionally with a kind of morbid fascination at the two dead characters. I didnít understand why they just lay there. I killed for some time and eventually a second light elf came and rezzed the dead one. He ran off as the dead one cast on the dwarf. Moments later they were back to their methodical killing.

The whole thing fascinated me. I wondered at all that was going on behind the scenes. Why was the Dark Elf doing this? Was it because he believed his killing would help stop the farming? Did he believe that someone should do something even if it seemed futile? Or did he do it for the thrill of PKing? Would he suffer any consequences from this? Did the farmers mark him as someone to harass and kill?

I pondered all of this as I ran back to town, wondering if Iíd ever see him again.
[url="http://boards.lineage2.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=161749&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#161749"] A Day in the Life [/url]
Old 01-19-2005, 09:10 PM   #44
BKMiller
Imperial Warlord

BKMiller is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PK PK!

[ QUOTE ]
I pondered all of this as I ran back to town, wondering if Iíd ever see him again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to see you're over whatever illness it was that plagued you and are back to enjoying the land of Aden.

I think I enjoyed this most recent episode even more than the others. It is fascinating to watch someone pondering motivations and reasons rather than reacting with raw emotion and letting their native prejudices and biases run away with them.

You have the eye of an anthropologist, Jute. Train it well.
BKMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:45 AM   #45
Orchish
Purgatory Shadow

Orchish will become famous soon enough

Your have a superb writing style Jute(not sure if it can be said like this, I am French Canadian). I am not kidding when I say that you could probably become a professional writer, or a translator if you know more than one language. Your texts contain many subtile expressions through which we can "feel" what you experienced very clearly. Remarquable.

[ QUOTE ]
Iím feeling much better and my days of playing interspersed with sleep will come to an end with my return to work tomorrow. Iíll miss the time in L2, however itís not without guilt.

Iíve never yet been able to make complete peace with the time that I take to play these games. Somewhere in the back of my mind a small, yet strident voice reminds me of all the useful things I could be doing instead of playing, like cleaning house, curing cancer or campaigning for world peace. I know people that have played so much theyíve lost their spouse or their job. I spend less time in Aden than most of my peers spend watching television. However, the allure of immersing yourself in these worlds is very strong and especially with the chaos of the world today, itís easy to lose yourself. I try to make sure I keep a balance and give no ammunition to that annoying voice.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am happy that you are getting better. I also try very often to balance real life & L2. I have a very full time job, and a wonderful girlfriend, and children. In short, I have a very rewarding life & carreer.

I have talked to many players, and most of them invest a lot more hours per week than I can afford. Some of them have important physical disabilities that impair their real life activities, others have few responsibilities beside taking care of themselves. Bottom line is that most of the people I know evolve way faster than I do.

This is not really a problem in itself, except that it becomes difficult to have a friend you will be able to level up over a long period of time with, unless that friend evolves at about the same rate as you.

I have always liked games. I discovered online games a little more than a year ago. It is hard for me to describe it, but although I am an individual who likes to go at his own pace, to take the time to look at the scenery, to do the quests and grinding on my own, I like the fact than there is a community where we can share experiences and help each other. Probably because you know that the community whishes you good and will help you when you need it. Also because it will help you do and see things that you would probably not be able to do or see by yourself. But mostly because within that community you will make friends, with which you will share great adventures and experiences.

[ QUOTE ]
To test the spell, I had decided to go to a field usually identified by the ruins there. I had been there before, but the area was frequently monopolized by a dwarf and a light elf pair that killed the area with mechanical precision. Iíd ended up bumping against them once before when I attempted to kill one of the mobs near their killing spree. The dwarf had quickly moved in, spoiled my mob and finished it off, scooping up the pile of gold.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a rude behavior that is called KillStealing. Those who do that don't care about other players and therefore have no respect for them. It can happen by mistake sometimes, but then those who are respectful will say they are sorry. Very often they are professional Chinese farmers. I do not have anything against Chinese, many of them are really nice. However the professional farmers are not playing, they are working. Why Chinese ? Probably because it is a place where it is easier to be able to afford someone to farm adena & items in a game.

[ QUOTE ]
I worked at killing the mobs in the area, glancing occasionally with a kind of morbid fascination at the two dead characters. I didnít understand why they just lay there. I killed for some time and eventually a second light elf came and rezzed the dead one. He ran off as the dead one cast on the dwarf. Moments later they were back to their methodical killing.

[/ QUOTE ]
One possible explanation why the two dead people stayed n the ground would be that they waited for someone with the ressurection skill to come and ressurect them. The reason being that you can recover up to 50% of the experience you lost when you died compared to towing to town.

[ QUOTE ]
The whole thing fascinated me. I wondered at all that was going on behind the scenes. Why was the Dark Elf doing this? Was it because he believed his killing would help stop the farming? Did he believe that someone should do something even if it seemed futile? Or did he do it for the thrill of PKing? Would he suffer any consequences from this? Did the farmers mark him as someone to harass and kill?

[/ QUOTE ]
Many players take pride in killing the farmers because many of them consider farmers as a nuisance. I think they have the feeling that they did a good deed. Alas, I am not so sure they did, the dynamic of the farmers in the game having complex repercussions, of which some are positives.
Orchish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:52 AM   #46
Jute
Beleth's Slave

Thank you very much for your kind words. I am not a professional writer, I am a professional geek. I just write what I think and feel so I'm happy it comes through.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:23 AM   #47
Jute
Beleth's Slave

Default Unwelcome additions

I canít sleep. I sometimes suffer from what I call Ďhamster brain syndromeí. Thoughts go round and round in my head much like the little rodent on a wheel. Spinning endlessly, but never really getting anywhere. I had gotten woken up by a phone call and now that little hamster in my mind was running around and around, robbing me of needed rest.

Work was difficult recently, challenges I canít control, but had to accept, deal with and move on. I knew thatís what was really keeping me awake even though the current thoughts revolved around my evening's session in L2.

I had logged on for a few hours after getting home from work, hoping to make enough progress to get me almost to level 15. I logged off several hours later, with a bit less experience than when I logged on.

Iím not quite clear why I die so much more on my mystic. Well, technically I know. I get agro from some mobs Iím not prepared for, either because I get too close or donít see one around me and I canít outrun them, so I die.

My boyfriend is always telling me that one of the biggest failings of anyone playing is you have to pay attention to everything. If you are not constantly aware of your surroundings you run the risk of getting jumped or missing something important. Often my particular fault isnít that I donít see and know what is going to happen. I can see what's happening I just donít react fast enough or in the correct way to solve the problem before it turns ugly.

For instance, as I was trying killing in one area, I noticed a fighter and did my usual round of my lowly little buffs, Might and Shield. The fighter asked if Iíd like to group and since Iím trying to make friends, I said yes.

We were killing fairly well, and decided, at my suggestion, to move into an area a bit higher level where we could kill mobs slightly more difficult than we would take alone. We were doing well, he would pick out the mob and attack with a bow, I would follow up with a spell or two to help damage, while making sure to heal him.

As he moved to a new mob, I could see one higher on the hill start to move. I went to follow him to the new position. I could tell the mob was pathing toward me and I tried to get out of its way. Unfortunately, my slow little human behind didnít move fast enough and I had a mob on me. He had pulled back his bow to hit another and I typed that I had one on me. I stood and took a couple of hits hoping heíd see it and get it off me, but he must have missed my plea in the fight spam.

I canít take many hits from these so I quickly cast my ice spell hoping it would land. If it did, Iíd have a chance to outrun the mob. I knew it was likely a vain hope since Iíd never had it land on these mobs yet, but it was my only chance. I saw that dread line that ended ďunaffected by ice boltĒ and my heart sank.

Desperately I used a life drain on it, knowing that it was futile. I tried healing but hits interrupted my spell and with a pitiful noise my character sank to the ground. I hit the Ďokayí button and noticed Iíd dropped my boots.

As I ran back, I asked my groupmate if heíd grab my boots. They are only leather, but hey, they are all I have. He asked where they were and I tried to direct him. It soon became apparent that he hadnít known Iíd died. I was genuinely glad heíd lived, but he didnít see my boots, so I ran hoping theyíd still be there.

Unfortunately, they werenít.

Looking around there was a farmer pair spoiling and killing and a single guy, just standing around. I asked out loud if anyone had seen any boots. I got no answer so I tried again and asked if anyone had picked any up. The single guy said he had and asked if they were mine. Now, I know that what someone finds that is dropped, is theirs. I wouldnít have been angry at the guy if heíd kept my boots, thatís the rules of the game. Sometimes people are really nice and sometimes they arenít. Maybe he needed them more than me. However, luck was on my side and after I said that I had dropped them when I died, they appeared on the ground next to me.

I was very grateful heíd been kind.

I put my footwear back on and we started to kill again. My partner asked if the guy would like to join us and he didnít answer, but he then started hitting the mobs we were fighting. I wasnít quite clear on what exactly was happening. This only went on for a couple of mobs then he moved on.

I found the whole exchange a bit puzzling.

We went back to killing, however before long, I felt trapped in a time loop as a second mob aggroed on me once again. The outcome was, unfortunately the same, (minus the dropped shoes) and since it was time to cook dinner, I thanked my groupmate and logged for the evening.

I truly enjoyed the conversation Iíd had with the guy. It was nice to talk to someone and weíd killed efficiently, wellÖexcept for side trips to the townÖ and I hope that we can group again sometimeÖ. I just have to figure out what to do about those adds.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:59 AM   #48
Claybomation
Grave Predator

Claybomation is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unwelcome additions

Some suggestions if I may...

Make sure as a mage, you keep your view as zoomed out as possible. That way, you can see if something spawns behind you within a decent range.

Also, not sure how your adena situation is, but keep some of those potions that make you run faster, haste I think. That way you can chug a potion, and jet. You will run faster than the mob, and live to talk about it....
Claybomation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 12:19 PM   #49
Jute
Beleth's Slave

Advice is very welcome...

I do play with the view zoomed out, I just need to be better at using that to my advantage. And, alas, I did think of buying haste potions but I choked at the price. I know someday they will not seem so very expensive, but today is not that day. I am going to try to keep one on hand for a last ditch effort. I will see how often I have to replace it.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:23 PM   #50
Claybomation
Grave Predator

Claybomation is on a distinguished road

A good way to think about it is this.

Cost of Haste < time for exp regain + dropped items + adena made

If so, go for the potion as you are saving adena/time. Else, just try not to die...
Claybomation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 06:49 PM   #51
Lord Chaos
Earth Wyrm Trasken

Lord Chaos has a spectacular aura about themLord Chaos has a spectacular aura about themLord Chaos has a spectacular aura about them

Most mobs in C2 can outrun a mage even with a haste potion on.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:09 AM   #52
Jute
Beleth's Slave

Default The good, the bad and the downright ugly

Multi-player games, because they involved interaction with others are by their nature richer in variety that you can experience in single player ones. Because they involved other people, they are less predictable. In a single player game, the same actions in the same pattern will yield the same results. This is not true of multi-player games. Anytime you throw people into the mix, with their very different motivations, reactions and methods you have a mini-capsule of everyday human life. You see the best of people and the worst of people.

So far this weekend Iíve seen both.

It started on Friday evening. Work was done for the weekend and I was free to play. I wandered around a bit, eventually ending up in a field of golems near the ruins. I saw the fighter Iíd played with the other day and he said hello. As we chatted just a bit another fellow ran past with a couple of mobs chasing him. My acquaintance from the other day started to chase the small train as I targeted the victim of it. I healed and both guys killed the mobs.

My acquaintance then suggested, since he was already grouped, that I group with this fellow. I was extended an invitation and after accepting I began to cast my buffs. Now I was a bit apprehensive about just accepting a random group, but Iím never going to meet people if I donít try, so I figured at the worst, Iíd die a few times.

I was pleasantly surprised.

The player began to kill golems, at first cautiously. He killed so fast I didnít have time to help with any spells, so settled in to heal. Soon, he began to seem more confident, I believe it was seeing that I would heal him when he needed, and he started killing incredibly fast. He was a very good player.

He paid attention to what was happening. If he was fighting multiples and one agroed me, he immediately broke away to pull it off. He killed fast and efficiently and we cut through the field like the proverbial hot knife in butter.

Soon we decided to try harder mobs over the hill and we began to kill spiders. Our conversation at first was slightly limited. He typed^^ a couple of times, and Iíve seen that occasionally though Iím not exactly sure of its meaning. In the context I took it for a smile or something close.

I somehow guessed he was reluctant to tell me much about himself. Eventually I coaxed him into telling me where he was from. I understood his reluctance; after I found out he was Chinese. Iíve seen so much misplaced anger against the Chinese when the anger is really meant for the farmers. I donít happen to care where someone is from, only how they are as a person, so his nationality didnít matter to me.

I wasnít dying, experience was flying and I was enjoying my halting conversation with him. The only rough spot was once when he moved to fight a pair of spiders behind a tree. I learned how tricky line of sight can be and I did not get a heal off in time. As his character crumpled to the ground I inwardly cringed. Here we had been having a good time and Iíd let him die. I hadnít known about the line of sight and healing issue previously and I apologized to my new friend.

Luckily he wasnít angry at me and we killed a bit more before eventually he had to go. I logged soon after, feeling rather good about the evening.

The next day, I was leaving the gate of the city, thinking of what Iíd do for groups. In the general channel, someone was shouting for a healer for a dungeon group. I thought about answering, but decided not to, since the other day when Iíd been in the dungeon it was train after train of mobs. I had just gotten outside the gate, when a light elf caster type in yellow gear followed me and blocked my way. Iíve seen the bullyboys at the gate occasionally picking on people trying to get them to flag so they can attack them. I have not usually been a target until now.

He smacked me and I kept moving. He smacked me again and I stopped. Even if heíd annoyed me enough to hit me back, I knew by looking at him, Iíd have no chance. He was obviously higher and with much better gear. So I stopped moving. If he killed me heíd be red and have that annoyance to deal with and I wasnít far from town as it was, so the walk back wouldnít bother me.

I was very confused by what happened next. He said, ďI say who makes groups around here.Ē Hitting me again he called me a [Censored]. I couldnít help myselfÖ I replied ďIím not the one hitting peopleĒ. He stopped and said, ďFair enoughĒ and I went on my way.

I couldnít figure out what the heck that was all about until I saw the shout again for a healer for the dungeon group. The name was close to mine and I guess he thought I was the one trying to form the dungeon group. I mentally shrugged and moved on.

I headed back to the same field Iíd had luck with the previous evening and as I passed a resting player I buffed and healed him. He asked me if Iíd care to join him and I accepted. Minus the halting English and the death from line of sight problems, it was a near repeat of the previous evening. He was a very good player.

I discovered through conversation that this was an alt and his main character was a higher level Prophet. Not only was he a good player, but he was a fun and nice guy. I asked him for tips on playing and he gave me some very good pointers. I was enjoying myself and very happy Iíd made a new friend.

During our conversation I pointed out a hill that usually has a dwarf/light elf player pair farming it. It was the first time in all the time Iíve played here I did not see them there. Literally any time of the day or night I log on, if I pass that hill, they are there, but this time they werenít, so we started killing. The experience poured in.

After weíd been there for a time, the dwarf and light elf appeared and began their usual routine. They had only been there for minutes when another pair came and started harassing them, eventually killing the elf and driving them off. Although we kept one eye on what was happening, my partner and I continued our fighting. We were soon alone again, but not for long.

The light elf who had earlier been smacking me outside the gate showed up with a human female caster. They started killing the mobs we had been killing with an air of almost casual boredom and asked if weíd seen the farmers that were usually here. I said theyíd been killed a bit ago. The pair proceeded to kill the mobs in our area with an ease the indicted they were far above the level of the monsters. I was again puzzled by the actions here. My partner asked them to please just let us level and after killing for a bit more, they moved on.

It wasnít too long after that my new friend had to log and I was left pondering some of the strange things Iíd seen.

I was looking for a new area to fight, since I was high enough now that most of the stuff in this area was green or blue, so I thought Iíd try my hand over the hill along the coast where Iíd died at a much younger age.

Iíd seen another dwarf/light elf pair working that area, but I knew there were enough mobs that I wouldnít run into a conflict unless I chose to. Sure enough the pair were there, but not for long. At some point they left and I was all alone, killing as meticulously as possible. I was making good progress and had worked it out to kill each mob with as few spells as possible, when I again saw the light elf male from my altercation at the gate.

He ran through and agroed a couple of mobs. Generally Iím not a petty minded person, so I thought perhaps Iíd help and picked off the last one in his small train. I killed it, but was then very bewildered by him, since he kept running around in a pattern gathering up more and more mobs as he went. He soon had more than twenty following him. I stared in wonder, trying to figure out what he was doing. By the time it dawned on me, it was too late. I saw him coming for me and I ran, but being a human mage-type I run very slow and Iíd used my one haste potion earlier. Suddenly he magically disappeared and I had twenty angry mobs whaling on me.

I didnít last long.

Luckily I didnít drop anything and as I headed back to the spot I pondered this guy. I understand that heís not unusual. The game is full of people such as him, but why does he do the things he does? Why pick me out? Or did it just happen to be a coincidence and I was not the particular target? Does it make him happy to bring others grief? Does he somehow feel bigger or more important and prove heís Ďbetterí because he can do this? Or was the whole thing just a strange sequence of mistakes with him thinking I was a farmer, since I had been in two of the locations they usually work?

Although it wasnít much more than a minor inconvenience to me, I can see how this type of behavior causes the game to lose new players. If I do continue to be this particular playerís private punching bag, I have little recourse. I canít retaliate. Heís obviously stronger.

It is a good example of why you need friends, but also a good example of why itís hard after a server is established. Few people are in the starter towns and many of those are there solely to grief players, so it is a dilemma. If he continues to grief me, I will have few options.

I have a very stubborn streak and I wasnít going to let him drive me off, so I headed back to where Iíd died. I wondered if he would be there when I returned, but he was no where in sight, only the mobs all bunched up in a knot from where they had dropped me. I returned to my methodical killing and eventually it was time to log.

Even long after I logged, the human interaction factor kept me thinking. Iíve heard people say the anonymity of these games brings out the worst in people. For some it does, but not for all. Itís the Ďwhyí of those few that leaves me wonderingÖ
Old 01-23-2005, 07:14 PM   #53
Adorna
Thunder Wyrm

Adorna is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Day in the Life...

Jute you have made my day, week, month, maybe even my year. You take the mundain and make it marvelous. I am glad you have returned to L2. We need more people like you. You are not into the "zerg" but, stop and smell the lovely lillies that gently sway next to the shining sea. (ok ok I have not her talent. ) Thank you, and come visit us on the RP association site. ::coughs:: Kara is there, you really would like her. (I think I should give up the idea of new board Princess... I am not worthy. )
Adorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 07:45 PM   #54
jkoster
Baylor

jkoster is just really nicejkoster is just really nicejkoster is just really nicejkoster is just really nicejkoster is just really nice
Default Re: The good, the bad and the downright ugly

I enjoy reading these posts. They show a great observation capacity, and I enjoy the wording and... style.

Bravo! Please, keep it up! I'd even offer to host a copy on my website if you'd like. Have you thought about a Livejournal (or equivalent)?
Old 01-23-2005, 09:08 PM   #55
BKMiller
Imperial Warlord

BKMiller is on a distinguished road

Why grief? Why PK? Ah, yes, the eternal questions. Sadly, there are no firm answers, only lots of theories. My own pet theory being pretty simple: that's just the way we're made.

Nice recounting, thoughful observations. If you're not an anthropologist, Jute, you should definitely look into becoming one!
BKMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:17 AM   #56
Jute
Beleth's Slave

I really appreciate people's comments. I started this not sure if others would even care to read any of my musings.

I have not thought about journaling, though I'm aware that what I'm doing is very much like it can be. As to hosting them somewhere, I'm not sure there'd be enough interest or reason to do so, but I do appreciate the offer.

And I'm not an anthropolgist, I work with computers.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:18 AM   #57
Jute
Beleth's Slave

Default A fresh start

My world is much bigger now. Today I ventured off the island and into the wide world. I took the boat from Talking Island to Gludin at the urging of one of my new friends. The long voyage made it really seem as if I were traveling far from an isolated island.

As the boat sailed my mind wandered back to my last day on the island. I had returned to the hunting spot where Iíd been Ďtrainedí earlier. When I got to the area I was alone. I started hunting, but I kept an eye out for the elf in yellow from the day before.

I had been killing quite some time when I decided to try the much harder spiders. My Chinese friend had come on and we talked a bit while I killed. I told him of my decision to try the spiders and he impressed me by saying that I had to be careful, if they hit me more than 4 times it was likely Iíd die. He didnít say it in those words, mind you, but that was the gist of it. I was impressed, because I knew he was right.

I had never thought about fighting things in those terms, down to the number of hits. I knew for instance, when I fight them, I must time my cast very carefully. I canít out run them so I get off two spells before they hit me, then it is my third that hopefully kills them. The trick is I must take two hits before I can cast that third spell and it must be timed right. If I get the timing wrong, they interrupt my casting and Iím dead.

Although they are dangerous, I admit, I like the rush of adrenaline I feel when fighting them. I grip the mouse a little tighter and can feel my body tense as I cast, run and cast again. There is a sweet flood of relief when the mob dies and I scoop up my prize.

I have to be vigilant here as well, since the spiders spawn quickly and the seeming randomness of where they appear means they could appear somewhere bad for me. Itís hazardous, but exciting and I accept the risk. Thatís the key, I think, accepting that you might die as a fair trade to the excitement and higher gain.

As I started my campaign to exterminate the vermin, the light elf/dwarf pair working this area appeared. They began killing golems, and I thought everything would be fine since I was killing another mob. However at one point I was casting a spell and the dwarf hit the same mob. It was completely innocent on both our parts. I hadnít thought they would fight the spiders, since I normally donít see them do so. However, not long after the first time, it happened again.

I hoped they didnít think I was trying to grief them. Whenever I see these people, doing this, I have greatly mixed feelings. I was fairly sure this was a professional farming pair, and I know what their industry has done to the gaming industry, but I also know there are people behind the characters. I understand there is a complex range of reasons and emotions behind some of their actions. I know they have quotas and families to feed and I know that I have personally been involved in how negative their impact can be on the game.

I remember back when I first played Lineage II, being killed repeatedly in the Wastelands for encroaching on one of the farmed areas. However at that time (I was level 30), my boyfriend was level 54 and he came and killed them until they left me alone, making it clear that I was not to be touched. I didnít have my white knight to save me here if I got in over my head.

I was very close to level 17 and I didnít want to have any hassles getting there, but it appeared my hopes were in vain.

I looked up from killing my last mob and saw the light elf from the previous evening. He was talking to the farmers as if he knew them. Possibly this was an explanation and Iíd gotten it all wrong. Perhaps he was one of the Ďenforcersí Iíd heard about, characters who protected the farmers from harassment by players, or who chased players out of areas that were used for farming. He wasnít a farmer killer, he was part of the group.

I continued my killing keeping vigilant for any move from the light elf. I didnít have to wait long. I saw him gathering up a train of spiders and he appeared to be headed back towards me. Well, two can play at the disappearing game, as he approached where I was, I logged.

I waited a few moments, and logged back on. I needed mana and the elf wasnít back yet, so I ran to a secluded area on the hill and sat, making sure to keep watch the whole time. I wasnít going to leave just yet, though I knew I risked dying and being set back on experience. I had such a small ways to go to reach level 17, I wanted to stick it out. I knew there were safer areas, the experience would be lower, but I wouldnít run the risk I do here. But that stubborn streak of mine came out, they werenít going to drive me away.

After getting full mana, I went back to fighting spiders. The elf appeared again, but just stood in the distance. One, two spells, run, spider hit, spider hit, turn cast, all the time keeping watch. Eventually, I was within two kills of my level. I quickly made those and saw the train gathering once again. I had a scroll of escape someone had given me for buffing and healing them. At the time, Iíd been dismayed since I didnít want any payment for what Iíd done and I didnít want them thinking I was begging, Iíd done it just because I chose to. However, now I was very grateful for the scroll.

As the scroll cast, it became a race, would he get to me to dump the mobs before the spell fired off? As he gained momentum and closed in, I had visions of my new level lost and helplessly wished there were some way to make the cast faster. Luck was with me and as he neared my location, the screen faded and soon I was back in the village.

I was brought back from my memories by the sight of landÖ

When I stepped off the boat a dwarf greeted me with a ĎWelcome to Gludiní. I felt foolish for momentarily wondering if he was an NPC or someone who somehow knew I was coming. I think he was just a friendly guy and not some personal welcome committee, but still, it made me feel very good about my new adventure.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:55 AM   #58
Favre
Dark Knight

Favre will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A fresh start

You inspired me to make a Human Mystic.....However I know I must twink it so I stopped playing her :

Awesome Story!!!
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:05 AM   #59
Jute
Beleth's Slave

Default Re: A fresh start

I don't have any personal dislike of twinking. If I were starting these characters on Sieghardt where my dwarves are, I would probably have done it myself.

I chose to start here on Erica because I wanted to see what Lineage II was like for anyone coming into the game now. I haven't accepted any outside equipment from people who've offered here, partially for that reason, but mostly because I wouldn't want people to give me things just because of my posts.

So, if you want to play your Mystic, by all means I encourage you not only to play but to twink to your heart's content. It is very different starting from scratch however and I am envious sometimes of people in better gear.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:15 PM   #60
jkoster
Baylor

jkoster is just really nicejkoster is just really nicejkoster is just really nicejkoster is just really nicejkoster is just really nice

[ QUOTE ]
I have not thought about journaling, though I'm aware that what I'm doing is very much like it can be.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may want to consider http://www.livejournal.com. It's free, though they offer a paid service. I don't see the need to buy an account.

[ QUOTE ]
As to hosting them somewhere, I'm not sure there'd be enough interest or reason to do so, but I do appreciate the offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a problem. If you ever feel like it, possibly including screenshots, feel free to drop me a line. I have plenty of server space to spare.

J