Lineage II Forums  
Go Back   Lineage II Forums > News and Information > News & Announcements

Login

News & Announcements Official information of importance to everyone.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Sace
Retired Community Manager

Sace has much to be proud ofSace has much to be proud ofSace has much to be proud ofSace has much to be proud ofSace has much to be proud ofSace has much to be proud ofSace has much to be proud ofSace has much to be proud of
Default IP Blocking to Combat Illicit Behavior

In our ongoing efforts to combat RMT, the Lineage II team is embarking on the first phase of our plan by blocking IP addresses from China due to high RMT traffic. The block prohibits China IPs from connecting to the game, to the website, and to the account creation pages. As the account creation page is shared with Aion, it is unfortunately not possible for China IPs to create accounts for Aion use either. In the coming days we will closely monitor the effects of this action, and may block additional IPs that have prevalent RMT activity on a country-by-country basis.

We extend our apologies to any innocent players affected, and while we cannot whitelist individual IPs in this situation, we encourage you to contact the support team to resolve any outstanding issues.

Please note that proxies have become an integral tool for illicit behavior in MMOs, and as a result we do target them when we undertake anti-RMT efforts. However, legitimate latency reduction services are recognized, and a proxy will not be banned unless it is confirmed to be part of unsanctioned behavior.
Sace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Laby
Valakas

Laby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: IP Blocking to Combat Illicit Behavior

I am yet to see the expecting results of such an action, which is a good start nonetheless.

But :

1) Are you going to target Europe RMT companies & sellers ?

2) Do you think you may be able to completely stop them since, as you said, they will use proxy from other countries ?

Anyway, as I said at start, it's a nice move. Good job so far
Laby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Yamino
Imperial Warlord

Yamino has a spectacular aura about themYamino has a spectacular aura about them

Its an interesting move, however I think that this might get out of hand

@Laby, a sizable amount of players here are european.
Yamino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Sace
Retired Community Manager

Sace has much to be proud ofSace has much to be proud ofSace has much to be proud ofSace has much to be proud ofSace has much to be proud ofSace has much to be proud ofSace has much to be proud ofSace has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laby View Post
1) Are you going to target Europe RMT companies & sellers ?

2) Do you think you may be able to completely stop them since, as you said, they will use proxy from other countries ?
1) No specific plans for this currently.

2) Not immediately, but again this is only the first phase so we'll be monitoring how it goes for now.
Sace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Laby
Valakas

Laby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of light

Ty for the fast answer, good luck
Laby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
Znipoo
Remnant Diabolist

Znipoo is on a distinguished road

This is indeed a very good step, hopefully soon there will be close to non RMT sellers.

Sadly, i personally think this will remove close to non, simply cause the people selling adena do this for a living, and therefore they will do whatever they can do bypass this, which is also done in minutes with a proxy.

However, the easiest way would be to simply flag every account connected to a chinese IP (as of right now), and then monitor those accounts after this "massive IP ban", which would work perfect even if theyre using a proxy to bypass it.

Last edited by Znipoo; 01-24-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Znipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
nemi
Goblin Lord

nemi is an unknown quantity at this point

nice this makes me happy. will you guys start banning entire bot trains via ip addresses instead of just a trains iss or pick up char?
nemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
glmk
Banned

glmk is an unknown quantity at this point

makes me happy this info but if u wanna succeed block ips from russia
glmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
Tiferet1
Earth Wyrm Trasken

Tiferet1 is a splendid one to beholdTiferet1 is a splendid one to beholdTiferet1 is a splendid one to beholdTiferet1 is a splendid one to beholdTiferet1 is a splendid one to beholdTiferet1 is a splendid one to beholdTiferet1 is a splendid one to behold

I didn't think I would live long enough to see this day come...
Tiferet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
cinna
Hungry Spirit

cinna is an unknown quantity at this point

Sadly nowadays most bot groups in the servers are actually from european/NA players.
cinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
hivitro
Purgatory Shadow

hivitro is on a distinguished road

It's great to take such actions.

Just missing the most important too, having a online presence in the server and work on specific cases in the cities.

By entering, you have 1 or 2 RMT screaming, and you have several sending PM as well as several trading with RMT legend.
hivitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
Znipoo
Remnant Diabolist

Znipoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivitro View Post
It's great to take such actions.

Just missing the most important too, having a online presence in the server and work on specific cases in the cities.

By entering, you have 1 or 2 RMT screaming, and you have several sending PM as well as several trading with RMT legend.
Yeah, just logging in, visiting every town for 2 minutes would be extremely cool, and then just send the RMT spammers to jail, would be awesome.

It is true that most bot trains are people from Europe/NA, however, these are not the people running the RMT sites, RMT site owners purchase their adena from players, and then resell, and most RMT sites are from China, just a simple WHOIS check will confirm it.

And if this works out well (i dont think so), i think we'll see alot less botters, some will stay around to get stuff for their mains, but some will leave, cause they bot just to make IRL money, so if they cant sell their adena.. well, 1+1=2
Znipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #13
Original Erica
Dark Knight

Original Erica is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol this is never going to work. They will just connect through US proxy server to the account creation page and into the game.
Original Erica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #14
Troill3n
Tainted Zombie

Troill3n is an unknown quantity at this point

As of now, the bots who run on our servers, actually help stabilize the economy of the game, with the prices ncsoft creates inside its stores for some items and the complete lack of other certain items, leaves the farmers the only source of existence for the items people need. High end Weapons and Gear would not be in circulation for players who log on and play for 1-4 hours a day vrs some one who plays for 16 hours a day, the low Drop rate of items and money make the need for the farmers to sell items and work to help the players cause there is a NEED for them, People buy form private stores and the auction house because they need the item, most could care less where it comes from as long as it is available to them, thus creating the NEED to buy your in-game currency and to buy in-game items that are more rare and / or unobtainable, but legitimate players.

So taking this into consideration, if NCSoft really wants to put a end to the bots for real players, then get rid of the need for their existence, people would not need to purchase adena, if it was so abundant no one had to worry about saving, every drop they earned because the cost of items in NPC stores or Auction house / private stores were so high due to supply and demand. if all items were in stores at a reasonable affordable price that a legit player could afford then the bots would have no reason to be here.. You can not control an opportunist who will find ways to manipulate a system that has a genuine need, unless you remove the need.

My suggestions on how to remove the bots are the following.
  • Remove the definite need of Adena by raising the amounts people make. GOD raised the amount of Adena drops to where a player can make more adena in a week than they could in 3 months pre GOD, but you did not change corresponding items inside NPC stores and the amount of items to make up the difference.
  • Increase the drop rate so that there is more items to distribute with out the need of farmers farming an area to obtain the items to sell to the player base.
  • Create better rewards for instances and such that give gear so people can work for it and it is available to EVERYONE on the same merit and not based on how much time they play the game.
  • Inflation works in this game as it does in real life economies. Work it to help eliminate bots not give them a strong reason to be here.
  • Maybe change all gear to be earned through certain process and not even available for sale, thus leaving the adena for other things that could be more obtainable and everyone has the chance to be as ubber as the people that play for hours on end cause they have no life or a fat pocket book.
  • be true to your commitments and stop changing things around on your players so that after they work for months on something you change it and then they are left with something they cant even use and months of hard work rendered useless.

And on another note, this game was meant to be a player vs player combat game, and NCsoft made a promise in its pre advertisement for GOD, that the Ncsoft store would not effect game play in anyway. I find that statement to be false and appalling. Here is what the ncsoft store has done that has not effected in the game
  • No one gets killed by a +10 or higher R-99 Weapon ( sarcastic)
  • Everyone gains experience on the same merit (sarcastic)
  • No one can buy pots that make them better at pvp, or gives them health or cp in battle ( sarcastic)
  • Special Pvp Items such as the Rudolph Agathon, which was sold for real money only, does not aid, or enhance pvp or game play ( sarcastic)
Yes my last post was all in sarcasm but im a firm believer that you do what you say your going to do.

In finishing, you want to rid the server of bots and RMT, the eliminate the need and opportunity for them to exist.

Last edited by Troill3n; 01-25-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Troill3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 AM   #15
LifeIsGood2
Tainted Zombie

LifeIsGood2 is an unknown quantity at this point

When this will start ?
I mean the 1st phase as you said with Chinese IPs. started already or Soon™ ?
LifeIsGood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:26 AM   #16
CatalinBaciu
Tainted Zombie

CatalinBaciu is an unknown quantity at this point

This is called DISCRIMINATION!
I hope someone from China to sue you and will surely win.
You can not generalize starting from punctual problem!
STOP DISCRIMINATION
CatalinBaciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:34 AM   #17
iMaxi
Tainted Zombie

iMaxi is an unknown quantity at this point

Good job NC!
50% locations clean from bot's and far fewer spammers, I counted about 20 total
iMaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #18
iMaxi
Tainted Zombie

iMaxi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinBaciu View Post
This is called DISCRIMINATION!
I hope someone from China to sue you and will surely win.
You can not generalize starting from punctual problem!
STOP DISCRIMINATION
this is called a solution, DISCRIMINATION for whom? for bot's ? its ok for bot's
Chinese prisoners forced to farm gold in WOW , I think that in Lineage 2 The situation was the same xD

Proof http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/05/26/ch...-to-farm-gold/

Last edited by iMaxi; 01-25-2013 at 04:40 AM.
iMaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:49 AM   #19
CatalinBaciu
Tainted Zombie

CatalinBaciu is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to believe that not all Chinese are prisoners and farm adena all day.
Free Willy
CatalinBaciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:00 AM   #20
Dreamer
Beleth's Slave

Dreamer has a spectacular aura about themDreamer has a spectacular aura about themDreamer has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinBaciu View Post
I want to believe that not all Chinese are prisoners and farm adena all day.
Free Willy
With all respect, but i don't get even 1 good reason why some from there would prefer NCWest over L2 at Korea.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote