Go Back   Lineage II Forums > Lineage II Discussion > General Discussion

Login

General Discussion Lineage II topics ranging from Aden to Elmore

Old 01-21-2014, 03:17 AM   #1
Rontti
Elpy

Rontti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Massively Reviews Hero Coins

Massively made an article about NcSoft Hero Coin program.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01...-to-firestorm/

Read the comments. The Talisman and CoC belt get their share of the love with their almost 300k hero coin/usd price.
Rontti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:24 AM   #2
Smittie
Earth Wyrm Trasken

Smittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Massively Reviews Hero Coins

Give ppl something free, and they will figure out ways to cry about that too.

You guys are effing ridiculous.
Smittie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:38 AM   #3
Aaliyah
Guardian Archangel

Aaliyah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie View Post

Use search button to quote yourself saying that nothing is free...

Just because it is masked as free it doesn't make it free. Simple marketing tricks 101
Aaliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:02 AM   #4
Heli
Hungry Spirit

Heli is an unknown quantity at this point

dont blame ppl using tonz of nccoins - someone must pay for our server & nc staff

yes it is free till u are not forced to pay for instances/areas/lvls

I dont use nccoins - u know exp is slower than with runes... i dont run all time with 14 days blessed jewels but it is still possible to play (till they relase brooch system - real pay2win ^^)

....but 98 for casual without runes is so slowwwwwwwwwww

sorry for monkey engrish <wink>
Heli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:26 AM   #5
Pellegri
Purgatory Shadow

Pellegri will become famous soon enoughPellegri will become famous soon enough

Quote:

For free ?Nothing is for "FREE" Mr. =) you must buy something to gain points*, this makes you to spend even more money to get "Free" item. Simple calculation after lineage II went from P2P model to "F"2P players are spending even more $ every month to be competitive. Bleh.

* don't forget that "free" points from ncwest will reset every year xD
Pellegri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:08 AM   #6
Smittie
Earth Wyrm Trasken

Smittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud of

Ncoin is not free.

The hero coins dont cost you a single cent though.

They are given to you for free, for having used ncoin.

Noone is buying hero coins.

Having trouble grasping the concept?

I dont think anyone is expected to ever get any of the top rewards.

How naive are you guys?
Old 01-21-2014, 07:54 AM   #7
Brosh187
Remnant Diabolist

Brosh187 will become famous soon enoughBrosh187 will become famous soon enough

I actually read a lot of the comments..if nothing else, amusing. This one made me smile:

Hagg3r 5ptsFeatured
19 hours ago

@Budukahn1 There is nothing in the known universe, that can be given through a video game, that is worth 200K.

I personally don't see much value in a video game over the $15/month I used to pay for my account here.
Brosh187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
strutu
Tainted Zombie

strutu is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ncoin is not free.

How naive are you guys?
this + that no1 forces u to spend even 1 usd in this game....game still can be played totally free
strutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
SrStupedHead
Purgatory Shadow

SrStupedHead will become famous soon enoughSrStupedHead will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ncoin is not free.

How naive are you guys?
Tell us how you got your Hero Coins without purchasing from the store? For something to be free, it would have to be obtained with no strings, no commitments, nor as a bonus. Until then, Hero Coins are a bonus incentive to purchase products in game and not given away otherwise. Now, take for example, those fortune tickets. That is questionable free. It's free for those who made NCCoin purchases in the past and NCSoft promises to fix that issue (like all the others game related) so it can be "Truly" free like this game.
SrStupedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
Smittie
Earth Wyrm Trasken

Sry, but your definition of free is flawed.

I can link you my Hero Coins if you want, I got them for free.

I didnt have to buy a single hero coin.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #11
Asynja
Heathen Knight

Asynja is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Of course not. But you had to buy "something".

Free means... it cost you nothing. Walk in, get it free, walk out.

Now, you can certainly say the hero coins are an extra bonus you don't need to pay anything extra for, that is true. But they are in no way, shape, or form "free"... because you are 100% required to spend something to get them.

And how you get them, or the fact that they exist isn't the issue. Given the model of the game now, they are actually a good idea. The absolute entire issue with them is the costs associated with them. Not "just" the obscenely high end items, but even a great deal of the less expensive ones have a much higher barrier of entry now.

You can argue that you get the coins "free" all you want, but they explicitly removed some items at lesser prices from being nc coin purchasable and then placed them in the hero coin spot with amounts that require you to spend more money on nc coin to get that "free" reward.

Now, if you are buying nc coin all the time, it's not "as" big of a deal. But if you are only buying it occasionally, especially to get these things that are now moved into the hero coin store, it's certainly no bargain.
Asynja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
Krissa
Spezion

Krissa is a splendid one to beholdKrissa is a splendid one to beholdKrissa is a splendid one to beholdKrissa is a splendid one to beholdKrissa is a splendid one to beholdKrissa is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asynja View Post
Now, you can certainly say the hero coins are an extra bonus you don't need to pay anything extra for, that is true. But they are in no way, shape, or form "free"... because you are 100% required to spend something to get them.
Technically, they are as "free" as in a "buy 2, get 1 free" offer.

But I understand your concerns.
Krissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #13
Asynja
Heathen Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissa View Post
Technically, they are as "free" as in a "buy 2, get 1 free" offer.

But I understand your concerns.

Sure. But if you walked in and saw a sign that said "free apple" and you walked out and they stopped you and said "nope, gotta buy 2 and the 3rd is free" would you think that perhaps "free" wasn't exactly an accurate statement to make in regards to it?

That's all that is being said here. But again, I see very few taking issue with HOW the coins are obtained. The idea is good... it's just some of the specifics of the implementation are very much questionable.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #14
DrachaVonDrachen
Antharas

DrachaVonDrachen is a splendid one to beholdDrachaVonDrachen is a splendid one to beholdDrachaVonDrachen is a splendid one to beholdDrachaVonDrachen is a splendid one to beholdDrachaVonDrachen is a splendid one to beholdDrachaVonDrachen is a splendid one to beholdDrachaVonDrachen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asynja View Post
Sure. But if you walked in and saw a sign that said "free apple" and you walked out and they stopped you and said "nope, gotta buy 2 and the 3rd is free" would you think that perhaps "free" wasn't exactly an accurate statement to make in regards to it?

That's all that is being said here. But again, I see very few taking issue with HOW the coins are obtained. The idea is good... it's just some of the specifics of the implementation are very much questionable.
You are a "member" of Costco ($50 a year) while shopping they hand out free samples. Those that are not members can't have any free samples. Non-members are not outside in protest over the free food inside. Poor folks are crying how unfair Costco is... life sucks for the poor, get over it or stop being poor.
DrachaVonDrachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
Asynja
Heathen Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrachaVonDrachen View Post
You are a "member" of Costco ($50 a year) while shopping they hand out free samples. Those that are not members can't have any free samples. Non-members are not outside in protest over the free food inside. Poor folks are crying how unfair Costco is... life sucks for the poor, get over it or stop being poor.
I assure you, I'm not poor. And while I don't spend a huge amount on nc coin compared to what I could if I wanted, I was still sitting on ~3k hero coin and change when it came around. And that's with some pretty big breaks of not playing actively.

It has nothing to do with being poor or not. Your costco membership is also not valid. There is no membership fee to l2 anymore. You can walk in off the street and play.

If there was a sign that said "free" that would mean free. But that's just semantics. The method to obtain the coins is not, nor has it been, the issue for most.

The entire issue is with the pricing structure around it. Which is entirely different than the method to obtain it.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #16
1Peri1
Valakas

1Peri1 is a glorious beacon of light1Peri1 is a glorious beacon of light1Peri1 is a glorious beacon of light1Peri1 is a glorious beacon of light1Peri1 is a glorious beacon of light1Peri1 is a glorious beacon of light

I get what some people are saying when the hero coins aren't free. I can see how you have to actually buy ncoins and then in turn buy something in the L2 store in order earn the hero coins,thus making them no free in that sense.

Then I see it as this too..

You're spending ncoins in the L2 store and as a kick back you're getting hero coins free as a "cash back" program.

I see it as the latter since I occasionally buy ncoins for my enjoyment purposes. Not often and I'll never accumulate much in a year this I know. I'm sure few won't. I can for sure see a bonus special where you purchase certain things and get a double hero coin return or even the prices on some items being reduced down the road.

Here's an idea..play the game as it's intended and earn it the old fashion way and 100% free. If you hate it that much then don't play and take your money to some other game then.
1Peri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #17
F1red
Dark Knight

F1red is an unknown quantity at this point

Hero coins? NC coins?

or

Real money trading?

So what is the real problem here? huh?

None of the systems like Hero coins not even from some shopping centers or whatever has different ways of getting bonuses or points as our "hero coin" system. And usually all systems like this has high rewards nearly impossible to get and it should be like this.
So again where is the problem?

RMT!

Who the hell will buy nc coins, collect hero coins and get coc belt or any other top reward item?
They will shop it on black markets from people for real money and will pay 100x less than what NCSoft wants you to pay.
So by adding such items to this Hero Coin system NCSoft tells you "Go by it from real money traders!" while they acts like we dont have RMT problem here. Actually i havent seen worser company management in a while.
F1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #18
1Peri1
Valakas

1Peri1 is a glorious beacon of light1Peri1 is a glorious beacon of light1Peri1 is a glorious beacon of light1Peri1 is a glorious beacon of light1Peri1 is a glorious beacon of light1Peri1 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1red View Post
Hero coins? NC coins?

or

Real money trading?

So what is the real problem here? huh?

None of the systems like Hero coins not even from some shopping centers or whatever has different ways of getting bonuses or points as our "hero coin" system. And usually all systems like this has high rewards nearly impossible to get and it should be like this.
So again where is the problem?

RMT!

Who the hell will buy nc coins, collect hero coins and get coc belt or any other top reward item?
They will shop it on black markets from people for real money and will pay 100x less than what NCSoft wants you to pay.
So by adding such items to this Hero Coin system NCSoft tells you "Go by it from real money traders!" while they acts like we dont have RMT problem here. Actually i havent seen worser company management in a while.
Yup,RMT is the real issue here. That problem has yet to be dealt with properly
1Peri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:23 PM   #19
SrStupedHead
Purgatory Shadow

SrStupedHead will become famous soon enoughSrStupedHead will become famous soon enough

Quote:

It's true, you didn't have to buy a single hero coin. BUT, in order to get them, you had to purchase NCCoin. You didn't get those Hero Coins any other way but to purchase NCCoin. Hence, those Hero Coins are not free, they are a reward/incentive from completing a transaction. If you don't like my definition, try this one:

Merriam and Webster's Dictionary defines the word Free as:

"Not costing money". but you say, oh wait, I didn't pay money for it. Which also leads to a further definition "a (1) : not united with, attached to, combined with, or mixed with something else : separate <free ores> <a free surface of a bodily part> (2) : freestanding <a free column>"

So yeah, my definition of free is very flawed. If you think it is, then try this on for size.

Show me where the word "free" appears anywhere in the Hero Coin announcements by the official site or forum GMs. The name of the program is called "Hero Coin Rewards Program", not "Free Hero Coins Program". Even the banner states "Earn rewards just for shopping". Sure, you can find free in that statement if you separate the letters: and "f" from "for", "re" from "rewards", and an "e" from "Earn". Now, show me proof that a GM came up to you and said "Hey, Smittie. Have some coins. No, you don't have to buy something to get it. No, you didn't have to play for a certain time. Yes, we are giving it to you with no strings, no attachments, and no commitments." If you do provide proof, then we can go up to Merriam and Webster to have them change the definition, and then we ALL can go up to NCSoft and demand our free coins without purchase or commitments. Oh, and speaking of strings, How is it free when it gets removed at the end of the calendar year?

Last edited by SrStupedHead; 01-24-2014 at 02:35 PM.
SrStupedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #20
Smittie
Earth Wyrm Trasken

I got my hero coins as a side effect of me helping keep the servers running by using Ncoin.

Did the Ncoin cost me money? Yes.

Did the hero coins cost me money? No. They were given to me and I get to buy some extra stuff with them. Thank you NCsoft

If you wanna be a freeloader and never spend money on this game, you had better stop believing you will be given hero coins at any point.

The hero coins are a reward to valued customers, not for freeloaders.

Now stop coming up with ridiculous scenarios to change a definition, and just play the game. For free.

I'll just go enjoy my hero coins if you dont mind.