Lineage II Forums  
Go Back   Lineage II Forums > Lineage II Discussion > Player Questions

Login

Player Questions Attention new players (and veterans too)! Do you have questions about Lineage II? Looking for a drop? Need tips on a quest? Come on in and ask your questions here--players of all experience levels are welcome!

Old 02-05-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
Constense
Elpy

Constense is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question on Warlord vs Gladiator

Hey, I'm looking to make the jump soon and I don't know which way I should take. All in all what do people think are the pros and cons of each? Which one is preferred more up on the top end?
Constense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
Woodsman
Beleth's Slave

Woodsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question on Warlord vs Gladiator

Warlord is the one who levels faster with AOE groups (though this is nerfed in C4). Glads are one of the best melee DD's ingame.

Both are sitting duck at mass PvP though.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:04 PM   #3
Tanda77
Tainted Zombie

Tanda77 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you dn't know what you're talking about when it comes to Warlords and C4 then don't say anything. Warlords are PROMOTED not nerfed! Only the wannabe's that have poles w/o POLE MASTERIES . Therefore characters with pole masteries, Warlords Destroyers BH's and WS's, will be the only ones effectively able to use poles.

Plz get ur facts straight b4 teaching some1 on critical points like that.

BTW, Cimmerians AoE Melee Pole Clan is recruiting! On Lionna that is
Old 02-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #4
Woodsman
Beleth's Slave

You do know that aoe attacks have a max of 20 mobs they can hit dont you? So unless those polemasteries will allow you to hunt more mobs they get nerfed.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:31 PM   #5
MalineII
Frintezza

MalineII is an unknown quantity at this point

Pole groups hunted more than 20 mobs at a time? I thought that was a nuker thing...

(Serious question, not rhetorics.)
Old 02-05-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
Woodsman
Beleth's Slave

[ QUOTE ]
Pole groups hunted more than 20 mobs at a time? I thought that was a nuker thing...

(Serious question, not rhetorics.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes. One warlord with vr on of course and a couple of fast healers to keep him alive. He pulls say 3 full rooms and then goes w****ing.

Nuker Aoe groups killed 50+ mobs in a single session. An awesome sight and nothing beats the sound of 50 mobs dying at the same time dropping all kinda goodies.

Alas, those days are past us (and just when my little nuker alt was starting to get in the level range of doing this)
Old 02-05-2006, 03:59 PM   #7
soltyspl
Imperial Warlord

soltyspl is an unknown quantity at this point

Unability to pole-group with some of my friends. I wouldn't call a promotion.

Making sure that every new person to the game stays away from polearms between 1 - 39, and then choose gladiator, I wouldn't call a promotion either.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
bekkar
Beleth's Slave

bekkar is an unknown quantity at this point

[ QUOTE ]
Warlords are PROMOTED not nerfed! Only the wannabe's that have poles w/o POLE MASTERIES . Therefore characters with pole masteries, Warlords Destroyers BH's and WS's, will be the only ones effectively able to use poles.

[/ QUOTE ] Think about that a little longer...
How long are people going to want to use polearms when most of the server is at a huge penalty?
Who are those people with masteries going to party with? The people who have 30% effectiveness?

They will be affected, their style of play is going to become unpopular and there are fewer people who are able to party with them effectively.

Also, no-grade and D-grade polearms kind of suck. Which means people who go to try them out are going to think "wow, these suck, I definitely won't make a class that uses those".

The polearm classes may not be directly nerfed, but their style of play is on its way out. That's gonna hurt, might not want to be so smug
bekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 05:20 PM   #9
RupleSkin
Thunder Wyrm

RupleSkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Right. People won't want you waking up slept mobs with your pole. Destroyers won't pole, so dwarfs will be the only people warlords will pole with.

My elemental summoner will party with them tho, with Merrow's aoe with pet bsps.
RupleSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:10 AM   #10
jkoster
Baylor

jkoster is just really nicejkoster is just really nicejkoster is just really nicejkoster is just really nicejkoster is just really nice

Warlords will be more valuable to anyone who can recognize their true potential.

I'm building one up on Lionna right now, knowing full well that Pole-Bishops are going away.

The fact that Warlords (and other pole-specific classes) will be mostly unaffected by the AoE nerf will make them more valuabe to anyone interested in AoE groups.

So, if you plan to do a lot of AoE, go warlord. Otherwise? I'd say go Gladiator.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:14 AM   #11
Melech
Tainted Zombie

Melech is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of the replys so far have focused on WL and poss nerf of pole parties (if not WL directly) in C4.

As a glad (lvl 65 atm) here's a persepective from the other side - higher lvl glads can have difficulty getting groups; archers/ nukers are much preferred as dd's, along with bds, sws, buffers and healers of course - lots of time hanging around in town spamming clan or ally chat 'dd lfg' and looking for a melee group in the party room.

I gain much more xp in pole parties with a friendly WL or two(irony or what) - I'm just waiting to see whether the glad's under-40 pole masteries mean they can still pole in C4 or not...

And soloing is practically impossible at anyting much over lvl 60-61, unless your're prepared to spend a fortune on ghp & greater swift attack potions and rest a lot to regain mp.

As for mass pvp - difficult unless your're lucky enough to be overlooked in the rush - but generally it goes "target healer/buffer/bd/etc, run towards them, get targeted by nuker/archer, get dropped before you reach target". In the recent Aden seige, for eg, I killed 3 ppl and got dropped 5 times
+ 2 Teon Characters, inactive
Melech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:26 AM   #12
Warper
Banned

Warper is an unknown quantity at this point

Gladiator is capable melee DD, warlord is the best polearm user.
Most warlord skills are oriented on polearms and polearm style. Even though some are general-purpose (like revival or lionheart), they mostly support polearm style of play.
Fortunately to warlords, it is still possible for them to be in normal melee group. With focus feature you can hit one mob at a time, so not waking up additional mobs your crowd controller made calm for a while.
It was different in C2 and warlords were very very rare class.

Gladiators stay on the other side. They are essentially melee damage dealers in regular groups. They can use polearms, but somewhat less effective. Also they can use two-handed swords and blunts, but in general dual swords are beter for them.
Gladiators are good enough melee DD. And sometimes AOE nuker. Not common role for them, but still they can use mass damage skills in sieges and in magic AOE parties (with friends).
Gladiators have several skills to be charged prior to use. You charge your weapon, then use the skill. The more you charge, the higher the effect. Charge level is limited by your skills as well, though.

In PvE warlords are all for polearm parties with rare friendly invites to regular melee parties. Even though they can fight in normal parties, they are not best choice Polearm parties are much more risky and rewarding. Also it's a lot of fun. Unfortunately, many warlords rerolled at around 60 level, since from that time small parties are not tat effective, while big parties are rare.
In PvE gladiators are good damage dealers. Also they can do tank job well enough for many cases. In mixed melee parties with few archers they are still good. Not so many changes with level advancement - you kill harder and harder mobs, but general tactic stays the same.

In pvp warlords are not supposed to be primary treat. But being overlooked they can make wonders stunning the whole enemy party, for example. Even though they play support DD or cannon fodder role
Gladiators in pvp have a bit different role. They are good melee DDs. Gladiators have few skills they can use quickly. So they can inflict massive damage in just a pair of seconds. Unfortunately they have to close up for most of their skills, and often die before they can reach their opponents. In close quarter combat though they are quite quite deadly.

High-end pvp clan will tend to invite gladiator rather than warlord.
Warper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #13
DeathzMistress
Thunder Wyrm

DeathzMistress is an unknown quantity at this point

Focus Attack sucks, it drains you mp fast, which means you can not use any skills and have mana. As for groups unless you can get an AOE group you will have a very hard time getting one with a WL seeing how their damge out put is just a little better than a Hate Tank on single mops.

(\../)
(O.o) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny to your signature
(> &lt to help him achieve world domination.
DeathzMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:56 AM   #14
Naiad
Tainted Zombie

Naiad is an unknown quantity at this point

[ QUOTE ]
Right. People won't want you waking up slept mobs with your pole. Destroyers won't pole, so dwarfs will be the only people warlords will pole with.

My elemental summoner will party with them tho, with Merrow's aoe with pet bsps.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would like to say that root is the key for pole groups and not sleep.
i believe one pole group with an OL is the best
Old 02-07-2006, 10:08 AM   #15
ReRole
Tainted Zombie

ReRole is an unknown quantity at this point

a clan im my alliance has done aoe parties in ABG for a while now with out mages or WL's and done fine. They use a tank and gladi's AOE move 3 gladis are i nthe party anda few healers with a WC for buffs. worked fine and still does.