Lineage II Forums  
Go Back   Lineage II Forums > Technical Discussions > General Technical Issues

Login

General Technical Issues Describe your client-side, hardware or software complications. This is not a place to report game bugs.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
JethroTull
Grave Predator

JethroTull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the best headset to use?

What do you all prefer for your headset? I am currently using the cheap headset provided with Guildwars, but I really want a headset that covers my ears so I can hear things a bit better (can't really hear the bass unless I hold the ear piece to my ear).

What are the pros & cons of an analog headset vs a usb based one? Wireless, or wired?

Thanks
JethroTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
Thinkaboutitmuch
Guardian Archangel

Thinkaboutitmuch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is the best headset to use?

well I guess if you have to compair USB/analog there will be little to compair with.

Pro's you still have plugs in your soundcard available for other speakers.
Con's 1 less USB poort.
Wired can be messy with the wires never being in the good spot.
Wireless: do'h no sound all of a sudden, OOh, hang on I need to replace that empty battery (again).

So it comes down to what you preffer in then.
You preffer good sound/convienance/etc. you will have to figure it out on your own.

I am happy with the USB headset I have from Logitech as it works for me. Mine is a wired version so I have no hassle with batteries running low. Still, the wires do get in the way from time to time.

Maybe I will come back someday... or not.
Thinkaboutitmuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
BigBodZod
Dark Lord

BigBodZod is an unknown quantity at this point

I prefer to use a separate Headphone Mic combo, nothing beats the sound of my Sennheiser headphones.

For the mic I just use a cheap Cyber Acoustics boom unit, seems to work pretty good in Vent but I am thinking about going to a USB mic
BigBodZod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:57 AM   #4
JethroTull
Grave Predator

I hear there are differences in quality between an analog microphone and a USB microphone. Not sure what those are yet though
Old 03-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
BigBodZod
Dark Lord

Yeah, I would like to know too as I've only ever used the analog kind.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
Oldfart
Beleth's Slave

Oldfart is on a distinguished road

I have no idea what the differences in sound quality are. However, the tech magazines advise that headphones working from USB ports eat up some of the resources of the computer, versus the ones that plug into the sound card (in which case the sound card takes more of the load). Just something to know, for what it's worth.
Oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
BigBodZod
Dark Lord

I'll stick with my Soundblaster X-Fi Fat@l1ty and my Sennheiser instead
Old 03-30-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
Saek
Grave Predator

Saek is an unknown quantity at this point

simply put, using a USB headset will lower your game performance. it does this because it puts sound processing on your CPU, much the same as onboard sound does.

what you should do instead, is since you have a sound card (i'm assuming), use a normal analog headset. the one i use is a iCEMAT Siberia. it has full rings that cover over your whole ears, and are fairly comfortable.
Saek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:41 PM   #9
Thinkaboutitmuch
Guardian Archangel

Thinkaboutitmuch is an unknown quantity at this point

Humm,

From what I know all soundcards render the sound on the CPU. I think SoundBlaster advirtized it's X-Fi-cards as being one of the first cards that completely took care of the soundrendering.

Maybe I will come back someday... or not.
Thinkaboutitmuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:43 PM   #10
Crawlerin
Antharas

Crawlerin will become famous soon enough

IMO the sensor for USB mikes is same as for analogue, just there is some controller and AD converter to get it to USB. Doesn't matter actually considering compress rate, server codecs and fact that if you can hear other's person voice it's fine. Just make sure speakers are not pointing directly to micriophone and use button activation
I use some Gembird or Trust or whatever it is 10$ microphone and noone complained so far.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #11
Larena
Grave Predator

Larena is on a distinguished road

The X-Fi cards may be the first to compleatly take care of sound rendering but a normal sound card does take care of a lot more of it than a USB port.

On a high end system it would probably be very hard to tell the difference but if CPU speed is an issue a USB headset might be a noticeable performance hit.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #12
JethroTull
Grave Predator

OK well I made my decision at Best Buy Friday night. Yes these headphones are expensive...however - these are by far the most comfortable, best quality headphones I have ever had.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...d=1170289630017

Basically, there are 4 jacks, 3 for surround sound and 1 for the microphone, and a USB connection. The USB connection isn't really for the headset, its purpose is to provide power.

I really like the enclosed nature of the head piece too; in battlefield 2142 I can now hear soldiers sneaking up behind me whereas before I would have to have the volume cranked wayyy up to get it that way.

There is also a pretty handy volume/bass/front/rear channel fade control that is positioned along the length of the cable, just put it on the desk or something and you can adjust the volume from there with a little swivel knob.

The instructions were very poorly written and did not explain how to adjust the different settings. Plugging all of this into my soundcard was more difficult as well, since my Soundblaster Audigy ZS does not have the audio ports labeled on the back of the card, and I had to download the .pdf documentation off of the web site to find out where to plug in the cables. Additionally the audio cables and the usb power cord are located on the same strand. There is about 6 inches of give between each the audio and the usb. So, if your sound card is more than 6" apart from your USB ports, you are going to be in trouble. As it was on my mini-tower case I am really stressing the cables. I suppose I could get a cheap external usb hub and plug it into that. However, this is a design flaw I think.

Secondly, most of the features advertised with this headset are for working with an addon headset card. This was not explained fully on the product packaging. There are no "drivers" for the headset, that is only if you have already purchased the $120 addon card. However, any soundblaster audigy card should have front/rear/sub jacks and be able to plug everything in just fine.

Other than some setup issues, this headset is excellent and I recommend it to anyone just getting ticked off with their current one.

Here are the list of features and what you can actually do with a fairly decent sound-card (minus the addon card).

8-channel 3D gaming headphones Not sure, I know I have 6 channels for sure
8 discrete drivers include 6 mid-high frequencies and 2 bass No
Channel and master volume controls Yes
Detachable microphone for in-game communication Yes
6 channel analog inputs Yes
HD-DAI (High Definition-Dedicated Audio Interface) connection port connects to a 3.5mm audio jack with the included adapter Yes, just a dvi connector, doesn't serve any purpose other than consolidating all of the cables I believe.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #13
jkoster
Baylor

jkoster is just really nicejkoster is just really nicejkoster is just really nicejkoster is just really nicejkoster is just really nice

I actually use a really nice set of Koss earbuds. They're the memory foam kind, and fit snug within my ear without being invasive.

As for a mic, I use a AC-634 from Cyber Acoustics (I think). Between the two, it's a very immersing and clear experience. I also use the mic to broadcast over Lineage Radio, and I've had no complaints yet.