Lineage II Forums  
Go Back   Lineage II Forums > Technical Discussions > General Technical Issues

Login

General Technical Issues Describe your client-side, hardware or software complications. This is not a place to report game bugs.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:33 AM   #1
Irijs2
Elpy

Irijs2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY error

hi,
i'm getting this error for the last 2-3 weeks now. it occurs when i load the second game client in window mode. if the first one is in minimized it works fine. or if one is window and one is full screen. but as soon as i try to keep both in window it crashes. doesn't matter from which folder i run or in what order - i have tried all the possible combinations including PTS + interlude, 2 PTS, 2 interlude, running one from shortcut and one from syste folder and it behaves the same. changing resolution doesn't help, if i change my screen (not game) to 1024x768 and use same sizes in game it loads but half of the interface windows are white and after 15 minutes of playing it completely crashes my system and reboots in safe mode with no gfx driver loaded. i have updated/reinstalled the game clients, gfx drivers and directx more than once, only thing i haven't done yet is reinstall windows like someone recommended in some forum but that seems a bit drastic
besides, it has been working before with the extact same configuration - i have been able to load up to 4 game clients before my ram starts giving up...
any suggestions? and yes i can play with one screen minimized and one in window since the slave buffer sits for 20 minutes anyway but it's more about why does this happen and how to fix it - or else maybe soon i cannot run it at all
obviously i did try deleting option. ini file and like all of us know it recreates itself upon loading the game so not much of a point in that.
i have win xp media center edition, hp pavilion laptop with widescreen (max res 1280x800). my own guess was that it has to do with the unusual screen size but it has worked fine for more than a year and most of the new laptops i see on sale now have widescreen so it seems a bit weird that all of a sudden it doesn't support this any more. and well then it should work if i change the resolution... i had a gfx issue with wow client but that works fine just when i change the game reslution to the common 1024x786. with l2 it doesn't help.
i don't want to get a separate screen as well before i'm sure where the problem lies - or it would be a waste of money.
thanks.

Error setting display mode: CreateDevice failed (D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY). Please delete your Option.ini file if this error prevents you from starting the game.

History: UD3DRenderDevice::UnSetRes <- CreateDevice <- UD3DRenderDevice::SetRes <- UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <- UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine
Irijs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:46 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Valakas

Rohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to all
Default Re: D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY error

You don't have enough RAM to run 2 clients. Did you change anything in your computer when the problem started (new graphics card for example)?

Edit: Try to run both clients in minimum details mode...that way they will use less RAM.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:09 AM   #3
Nanashi_Naomhan
Frintezza

Nanashi_Naomhan is just really niceNanashi_Naomhan is just really niceNanashi_Naomhan is just really niceNanashi_Naomhan is just really niceNanashi_Naomhan is just really nice

check how much ram your computer has
maybe one of your sticks bit the dust
Nanashi_Naomhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
Shaunrah
Grave Predator

Shaunrah is an unknown quantity at this point

Try a smaller screen size for the game window, ie, 800x600 for each client. Oh, and if you use antialiasing (AA), turn that off as well.
Shaunrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
Irijs2
Elpy

Irijs2 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the input but i have enough ram (this laptop has been running 4 clients and still does unless i window more than one)... nope i haven't changed anything, it would make sense then but that's my problem - the hardware has not been changed when it started to give that error i tried 800x600 and that doesn't help either. i read from somewhere that it is not really the memory problem as such but more of the gfx getting the wrong type of command so it starts looping on one thing and therefore seems to have no memory to perform the operation. looks like a driver/directx conflict or something but why did it start...
and when i tried just now with 2 pts clients it looked like this:

2007.12.12 18:28:08
CPU : GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 1598 MHz with 1014MB RAM
Video : Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family (4543)
PosCode : 0:0:0 2/0

Error setting display mode: CreateDevice failed (D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY). Please delete your Option.ini file if this error prevents you from starting the game.

History: UD3DRenderDevice::UnSetRes <- CreateDevice <- UD3DRenderDevice::SetRes <- WM_SIZE <- UWindowsViewport::ViewportWndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WM_UNKNOWN <- UWindowsViewport::ViewportWndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WM_SYSCOMMAND <- UWindowsViewport::ViewportWndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- DispatchMessage <- 003404CE 274 <- MessagePump <- MainLoop

Edited: the difference comes from how i run them - if its one in window and then the other one is loaded i get the error i wrote in the first post. when i have one minimized, then load the other and then alt+tab it gives this message.
but yea when i have more time i will try format c: and reinstall
Irijs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
Cabbie
Beleth's Slave

Cabbie will become famous soon enoughCabbie will become famous soon enough

format the hard drive and see if that works

no reallly - I used to get that error before as well, but to be honest, not sure what of the following things I did fixed it:

Check File
ran AdWare
re-ran virus protection scan
deleted out all temp files

hope that helps and good luck.
Cabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:07 AM   #7
MikoLee
Grave Predator

MikoLee is an unknown quantity at this point

check file probably