Lineage II Forums  
Old 12-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Corvenus
Grave Predator

Corvenus is on a distinguished road
Exclamation How are the Temple Knights?

This is one of the most least played classes on the game and I wonder why. I looked at there skills and they seem pretty good. What makes them so rare?
Under the Mother Nornil, we devote our faith in the Goddess of Past, who rules history, the Goddess of Present, who records everything happening at this moment, and the Goddess of Future, who forecasts whats to come.
Corvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
SL4YER
Dark Lord

SL4YER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How are the Temple Knights?

They are hard to lvl because of no offensive skills and low str. If you dont have friends/clan to party with, xping TK is frustrating and boring. Also in pvp TK have hard time killing others (low dps). On the other hand Eva's Templars are very strong at olympiad.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Tirena
Tainted Zombie

Tirena is an unknown quantity at this point

That's generally true. I think they are (slightly?) more common nowadays thanks to vitality and vanguard. Those two really help a TK level much faster, solo or otherwise. They are a powerful class, but it takes a very long time to realize that power (I'd say at least 62 before you start to feel it. 77+ is when it really begins to kick in though).
Old 12-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
Keleka
Hungry Spirit

Keleka is an unknown quantity at this point

I enjoy playing mine and fighting undead is a breeze. I can say DPS is not that high, but on undead is for the win.

I have a great time with my Great Wolf and Vanguard skills. I would stay most of the time I don't use it. I have seen alot of people in area's where I level solo with with buff pets and sometimes a train of supports in a group, where as I just grind those same mobs from the herbs.

I wouldn't say they are slow to level. I have experienced "0" downtime when hunting and the "HIT and SIT" does not exist. I like the fact I can keep on going without a hitch.

Boring, hmmm I would have to say no. Between the wolf, arrgoing, hating, training, seeding, and questing at the time I go grinding I don't once think it's boring.

I can say i'm looking forward to playing some of these really "FUN" classes when I get to sub. I'm just not sure which class could be so fun as this is to me. I know the War Cryers seems pretty coo.

I'm going to agree with Tirena @ level 62 they are a bit more specialized and i'll comment when I get mine to level 77+ that way I can cooment till then ima ****
Keleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
UpiryGirl
Thunder Wyrm

UpiryGirl will become famous soon enough

I <3 my TK.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
Calladan
Dark Lord

Calladan is on a distinguished road

They were definitely harder to level before Vanguard, especially if you did not have top gear. Just made level 77, and got 2 of my new skills, which I am interested in trying out. Especially vengeance, which looks like an improved form of UD, but won't work unless you are fighting a mob. I made a great wolf (which I got 2 years ago when I was lvl 15), currently level 59, but I am not using him to solo, simply because mobs, in my usual hunting areas, have an aoe stun. Having a buffer helps. My pp is currently lvl 73, but I am starting to level a SE on the same account to compare.
Calladan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
SL4YER
Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keleka View Post
I wouldn't say they are slow to level.
Tanks are considered to be the hardest class in game to xp. And among them, TKs are the slowest. SK has hex and high str, Pally has Angelic Icon, DA has panther, while TK has... life cubic? Im not saying TK is a bad or useless class, because it isnt. However it requires a lot of effort and hard work before you have satisfaction playing it at olympiad. If its lvling speed is good enough for you, thats great. But compared to other classes, or even other tanks, TKs are not that great. Lvling TK IS hard and everyone who considers to play this class should realize it.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
JungleBlows
Elpy

JungleBlows is an unknown quantity at this point

Temple knights are fine...
Old 12-23-2008, 06:59 AM   #9
Galendal
Grave Predator

Galendal is on a distinguished road

Temple Knights are the lowest dps mellee class in the game. They are worst defensively than human tanks, due to not having majesty. Our first good pvp skill comes at lvl 77 (shield bash). Ofcourse the stun lasts 2-3 seconds only, but still it is very useful.

Tanks in general are of low use in this game. Raids is where tanks prove useful and some hard areas in the game. But due to the fact that this game is heavily oriented on the offensive side and defence plays a small role, tanks are pretty weak in comparison to other classes.

All in all I would not suggest to anyone to make a TK. The SK has the same defence, but is very powerful offensively, the DA has shield stun, majesty and the panther, which makes him the best tank and the paladin has some unique features, but in my opinion comes 2nd to the DA.

In order to shine, the TK needs to become the best defensive tank. For that, NCsoft should give the TK some unique defensive skills: a self buff to boost shield power/rate, a self buff to increase pdef, mdef,shield power/rate and decrease patt, critrate, attspeed (opposite to zerk). Also some passives to increase elemental defences and/or magic defence +strong resistance to debuffs could make the TK a strong tank against mages, giving him a unique role. That along with a strong debuff, useful in pvp (eg silence or something like that) could make the TK a more desirable choice.

Without any serious changes, the TK is a dead class (still played by some romantics like myself, who don't have a sub yet.....).
Old 12-23-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
Tirena
Tainted Zombie

Tirena is an unknown quantity at this point

I think a perception of futility exists that explains why they are so rare. I find the TK to be a very strategic class and that some people seem to miss its finer points. I'd like to list some more positives to balance this thread out.

Our biggest strength is with our shield. It doesn't show in your character panel, but shield p.def and your block rate really matter. Our higher block rate means more attacks that hit us will have reduced damage. Statistically, our average shield p.def (ie, a combo of your p.def when you block and block rate) is higher than any other tank. This is the stat that really matters when talking defense. As your block rate approaches 100% (and it can, easily), that average shield p.def becomes your normal defense. In a crunch, we can survive where other tanks may fail.

The ability to deal damage AND heal at the same time can be the difference between life and death. That little heal is significant when incoming damage is reduced to near zero.

We are one of only two classes that can debuff crit rate. That can hurt classes that rely on crits a lot, like archers, daggers, and monsters with crit buffs. We are also the only class that can root while in vanguard stance. Kiting mages are as good as dead if that lands.

In normal groups with sufficient damage, or large groups with very good damage, a Temple Knight brings efficiency and safety to the table. Healers do not run out of mana or even get low. There are no rests. Most importantly, exp is gained much faster than a group without a tank because you can meet monsters much faster and even do group after group after group of monsters. Our Aegis passive allows us to shield block from any direction making us ideal for groups. Parties lacking a tank cannot do groups efficiently because they lack proper aggro control. Nor can they properly handle additional monsters without costing them additional effort, possibly casualties, and therefore requiring rest and regrouping, thus slowing them down. Deaths are very rare in groups with a good TK/tank. Healers get all the credit, but really it is the tank managing aggro that makes it easy for the healers.

Temple Knights also do very well solo. Our high mdef, self-healing, and curing abilities allow us to venture into areas other melee classes dare not go alone. Valley of the Saints, Forest of the Dead, and the Isle of Prayer are a Temple Knight's playground.

Overall I enjoy my Temple Knight and I haven't found it hard to level, though I've benefitted from all the new levelling help (newbie buffs/vanguard/vitality). I enjoy being near impossible to kill and am at my best in groups. While I think our class still needs improvement, I look forward to the next update as it's expected to give us some more offense.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
Corvenus
Grave Predator

Corvenus is on a distinguished road

Thanks alot for your review of the Temple Knight. It acutally does not sound nearly as bad as people make it out to be.
Under the Mother Nornil, we devote our faith in the Goddess of Past, who rules history, the Goddess of Present, who records everything happening at this moment, and the Goddess of Future, who forecasts whats to come.
Corvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
Arakeen
Dark Knight

Arakeen is on a distinguished road

TK's are great tanks, and dmg output isnt that bad compared to other tanks. But other tanks can lvl much faster than TKs, and the simple reason is that every tank except TK has a banish skill. SKs/DAs can banish angels in WoA all day long and get great XP. Pallys can do the same in Pagans with the undead. The only undead skill TKs have is holy aura. Which only lasts a few seconds. If it were like dryad root in terms of duration, it would be worth the SP.

The only good skills we've got are the heal & root cubics, unless they have nerfed those since gracia, I havent used them since I came back to L2, so I don't know. I would like to see ncsoft give us a banish undead skill, though. So that we can have the same lvling option as every other tank in the game.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #13
Varaya
Valakas

Varaya is a jewel in the roughVaraya is a jewel in the roughVaraya is a jewel in the roughVaraya is a jewel in the rough

One of the main problems is that at lower levels (<75), xp groups do not need a tank. At those levels, "VR tanking" is enough (i.e. a good melee DD with VR taking the aggro). In fact, in some places you actually need MORE healing if you have a tank in party, because the low DPS of the tank means that VR does not really work for him - and so he needs heals, where e.g. a Gladiator/BD "VR tanking" would need no healing. And this means that in most cases it is hard for a tank to find a party.

But at higher levels and in xp spots where VR is definitely NOT enough, a tank makes xping much much easier. I really like having a tank in party on Hellbound - for aggro control and because they do not suffer from the "oops I got critted on 2 times and now I am dead" problem.

Vanguard definitely made it easier for tanks to get to those higher levels. I am actually lvling up a TK right now, and I like the class.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:37 AM   #14
Galendal
Grave Predator

Shield rate and shield power are not that much higher than human tanks. Maybe 3-4% more, means very little in combat.

I have to agree TKs shine when tanking in AOE parties. Aegis passive and their high speed makes them perfect for that job. Also I have the feeling that our hate is a little stronger and with greater range than that of human tanks.

Healing cubic is also very important in hard areas, as well as our self heal (also for bleed and poison). TK is maybe the only tank which can xp at forest of the dead.

I have not entered HB yet, but I have heard a tank is necessary there. Except from that and few other areas in this game, most of the areas (95+%) don't require a tank. And the ones where tank is not necessary but more useful (cata) have the worst xp in the game....
Old 12-25-2008, 09:52 AM   #15
SL4YER
Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galendal View Post
Also I have the feeling that our hate is a little stronger and with greater range than that of human tanks.
I have a feeling that its just a feeling :P
Old 12-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #16
UpiryGirl
Thunder Wyrm

UpiryGirl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galendal View Post
TK is maybe the only tank which can xp at forest of the dead.
My TK gets her butt KICKED in FotD. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Last edited by UpiryGirl; 12-26-2008 at 10:13 AM. Reason: quote code error
UpiryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #17
Galendal
Grave Predator

I use an oop SE (in party to give holy weapon), which I leave at a safe spot. I use a lot of cure bleeding/poison skills, cubics ofcourse, try to select targets, in order to avoid attracting too many nukers. Vampire warlords give best xp, so I try to kill as many of them and vampire warriors as possible. Hating them from a distance will bring only the vampires and none of the other mobs.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #18
Calladan
Dark Lord

Calladan is on a distinguished road

Been a while since I leveled in FoTD. I had a pp to buff and heal me. I was using Tallum Heavy, which had the bleed and poison resistance. I also used a Carnage Bow for when I was rooted by some mobs. I tended to stay away from group mobs, but if I got overwhelmed I used UD or Guard/Shield stance. Also carried a lot of elixirs and ghp.Not sure what level you are but I started hunting the mobs north, of the necromancer. The guards and knights which teleported, as well as the zombies and when they turned blue, the mobs east of them, no group mobs there, but some nukers.
Calladan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #19
serelina
Remnant Diabolist

serelina is a jewel in the roughserelina is a jewel in the roughserelina is a jewel in the rough

i miss guard stance being useful...think they'll ever change it from saying "13 mp" to what the "65 mp" that it actually takes?
serelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:28 AM   #20
Galendal
Grave Predator

I also miss guard stance It is now only an emergency skill, and not that useful at that too, if you ask me. So if something bad happens Guard Stance will not be able to save me, just give me a few more seconds of staying alive, and that at the cost of loosing all my mp. They should at least make it much more powerful. When you increase mp consumption of an already heavy mp consumpting skill, they should at least double its power, to keep it useful. Or at least keep mp consumption for TKs the same and increase consumption only for SKs.

I think that with few adjustments TKs could really become a very good class. We could really turn to be the best defensive class in the game, like we are supposed to be with a few defensive boosts, unique to the TKs. But we really need some defensive boost or at least any boost, some love for the TKs