Lineage II Forums  
Go Back   Lineage II Forums > Lineage II Discussion > Player Questions

Login

Player Questions Attention new players (and veterans too)! Do you have questions about Lineage II? Looking for a drop? Need tips on a quest? Come on in and ask your questions here--players of all experience levels are welcome!

Old 01-31-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
Remove Nozzle
Tainted Zombie

Remove Nozzle is on a distinguished road
Default Which classes are the AOE classes? Which the best?

Which classes are known, and wanted, for their AOE? Is it just Destroyers and Warlords?

Was debating starting an alt to play, so my main always has vitality building up, and kind of wanted to pick an AOE class for some eventual AOE grinding, if that's even done anymore?
Remove Nozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:39 PM   #2
XxWaroxX
Remnant Diabolist

XxWaroxX will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Which classes are the AOE classes? Which the best?

at lower lvls almost any melle class can do it but at 52+ only destro WL and dorfies..a tyrant and gladie may be able to get away with it too....
Old 01-31-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
KnightOfDarkness
Valakas

KnightOfDarkness is a glorious beacon of lightKnightOfDarkness is a glorious beacon of lightKnightOfDarkness is a glorious beacon of lightKnightOfDarkness is a glorious beacon of lightKnightOfDarkness is a glorious beacon of lightKnightOfDarkness is a glorious beacon of light

Warlords, Destroyers, Warsmiths, BountyHunters, Tanks, Gladiators... thats about it. Sorcs, SPS's and SH's can AOE with their magic. SE's have bless the blood which is real good for AOE.
R.I.P. the best server ever, Lionna
KnightOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
Spudnik
Earth Wyrm Trasken

Spudnik is a splendid one to beholdSpudnik is a splendid one to beholdSpudnik is a splendid one to beholdSpudnik is a splendid one to beholdSpudnik is a splendid one to beholdSpudnik is a splendid one to beholdSpudnik is a splendid one to beholdSpudnik is a splendid one to behold

theres 3 kinds of AOE in Lineage2.

1: using a polearm for melee AOE. fairly straightforward, you bring your mobs into a group and swing away. best at this are Destro and Warlord.

2: Magic AOE. also fairly straightforward, bring the mobs to a localized strongpoint (a tank) and blast at range. any nuker works for this.

3: Hybrid AOE. this is complicated: it involves non-classic characters, i.e. non-mage, non-tank, non-warrior. you use a Gladiator or a Tyrant, or a Kamael Berzerker and various degrees of support. these classes have a Ranged AOE blast and a non-ranged AOE blast. due to the heavy mana consumption on these skills however, it ussually is to expensive for its effect.

what gives the LEAST problems is no.1.

boink bonk
What sick man sends Baby to fight me?
Spudnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
Remove Nozzle
Tainted Zombie

which is the optimal choice (if there even is) between warlord or destroyer?
Old 02-01-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
KnightOfDarkness
Valakas

KnightOfDarkness is a glorious beacon of lightKnightOfDarkness is a glorious beacon of lightKnightOfDarkness is a glorious beacon of lightKnightOfDarkness is a glorious beacon of lightKnightOfDarkness is a glorious beacon of lightKnightOfDarkness is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudnik View Post
theres 3 kinds of AOE in Lineage2.

1: using a polearm for melee AOE. fairly straightforward, you bring your mobs into a group and swing away. best at this are Destro and Warlord.

2: Magic AOE. also fairly straightforward, bring the mobs to a localized strongpoint (a tank) and blast at range. any nuker works for this.

3: Hybrid AOE. this is complicated: it involves non-classic characters, i.e. non-mage, non-tank, non-warrior. you use a Gladiator or a Tyrant, or a Kamael Berzerker and various degrees of support. these classes have a Ranged AOE blast and a non-ranged AOE blast. due to the heavy mana consumption on these skills however, it ussually is to expensive for its effect.

what gives the LEAST problems is no.1.
The skills mention in #3 are meant for mass PvP not AOE leveling...

The Beserker AOE is very effective towards summoners.
R.I.P. the best server ever, Lionna
KnightOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:26 AM   #7
Nanashi_Naomhan
Frintezza

Nanashi_Naomhan is just really niceNanashi_Naomhan is just really niceNanashi_Naomhan is just really niceNanashi_Naomhan is just really niceNanashi_Naomhan is just really nice

destro: highest damage so best survivability because of vr
WL: easy pulls on non agro mobs and tons of skills (limited skill use because of mana)
WS: no real skills but self buffs which do help in aoe
BH: no skills but 300ish more hp than WS

i see alot of different classes poling where i hunt including archers and tyrants and although they are limited in the amount of mobs they can hit stats and self buffs do make them a viable poling option
Old 02-01-2009, 05:34 AM   #8
Rohirrim
Valakas

Rohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to allRohirrim is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanashi_Naomhan View Post
destro: highest damage so best survivability because of vr
WL: easy pulls on non agro mobs and tons of skills (limited skill use because of mana)
WS: no real skills but self buffs which do help in aoe
BH: no skills but 300ish more hp than WS

i see alot of different classes poling where i hunt including archers and tyrants and although they are limited in the amount of mobs they can hit stats and self buffs do make them a viable poling option

Don't forget the little trick we WS have

WS can summon Big Boom and place it in a corner where you are gonna bring the trains. Using the Big Boom isnt't cheap, but with emp3, wm2 and 99 blessed beast spiritshots it can do quite some damage (specialy on magic crits).
Downside is that it will take away 30% exp (if it's still alive/not faded away when the mobs die).

I did AoE in Devotion from lvl 66 to 68 in 2 days with Big Boom in C5/Interlude (before VR nerf) with only a lvl 46 SE as healer/buffer and that little bomb could bring down the entire train by it's own if it crited.

But without Big Boom I agree with Nanashi, Destroyer/WL is the way to go to AoE.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:15 AM   #9
Nanashi_Naomhan
Frintezza

Nanashi_Naomhan is just really niceNanashi_Naomhan is just really niceNanashi_Naomhan is just really niceNanashi_Naomhan is just really niceNanashi_Naomhan is just really nice

i'd rather use my mp on acc toggle/war frenzy or earthquake than on big boom tbh
Old 02-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
Spudnik
Earth Wyrm Trasken

Spudnik is a splendid one to beholdSpudnik is a splendid one to beholdSpudnik is a splendid one to beholdSpudnik is a splendid one to beholdSpudnik is a splendid one to beholdSpudnik is a splendid one to beholdSpudnik is a splendid one to beholdSpudnik is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Don't forget the little trick we WS have

WS can summon Big Boom and place it in a corner where you are gonna bring the trains. Using the Big Boom isnt't cheap, but with emp3, wm2 and 99 blessed beast spiritshots it can do quite some damage (specialy on magic crits).
Downside is that it will take away 30% exp (if it's still alive/not faded away when the mobs die).

I did AoE in Devotion from lvl 66 to 68 in 2 days with Big Boom in C5/Interlude (before VR nerf) with only a lvl 46 SE as healer/buffer and that little bomb could bring down the entire train by it's own if it crited.

But without Big Boom I agree with Nanashi, Destroyer/WL is the way to go to AoE.
lets go back even farther to the first chronicle Big Boom was introduced. back before beast shots.

big boom used to have 100x the power, was affected by Matk values, and had no limit to how many mobs it could hit.

i remember a kind WS that used to run the guild i was in before i took a year off; he boomed for a party of low players (myself and 2 others) 20-40 in about an hour. this was BEFORE the major nerfs came to heal, sleep, etc.

it was AWESOME.

now?

pffft, impossible. mob aoe limiting, boom range decreased, ... just not worth it.

boink bonk
What sick man sends Baby to fight me?
Spudnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:08 PM   #11
Kratos
Hungry Spirit

Kratos is on a distinguished road

Since nobody has brought it up yet, I just thought i'd mention that elemental summoners can also aoe. Their main solo pony, merrow, has an aoe nuke. It really isn't all too different from a normal nuker's aoe nuke. Yet, if you want something different you might want to give it a try.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
Nanashi_Naomhan
Frintezza

Quote:
lets go back even farther to the first chronicle Big Boom was introduced. back before beast shots.

big boom used to have 100x the power, was affected by Matk values, and had no limit to how many mobs it could hit.

i remember a kind WS that used to run the guild i was in before i took a year off; he boomed for a party of low players (myself and 2 others) 20-40 in about an hour. this was BEFORE the major nerfs came to heal, sleep, etc.

it was AWESOME.

now?

pffft, impossible. mob aoe limiting, boom range decreased, ... just not worth it.
kinda inaccurate
boom had about 130% it's current power (didn't use sps)
it had no limit on mobs it could hit (still doesn't)
it was effected but mattack buffs (still is)
all mobs within the blast radius took equal damage (mobs now take less damage depending on distance)
it used 1 d cry at max lvl (i think lowest lvl now 2 and max lvl 6ish)
if the WS ran out of xp range of the summon anyone else in party would get full xp from the mobs (now they get the same as if the dorf was in range minus party bonus)

my SE lvling with a lvl 1 big boom. she was 36 before i done first class change and got her skills

this screenshot was taken literally minuets before the server went down for the new chron (C4?) adding the aoe nerfs and since then the only use i have had for big boom is messing around in arena

the main thing that killed big booming though was the change to mob agro and summons
back in the day if a summon died and the summoner was out of agro range and did not hit the mob mobs would not agro the summoner so WSs would sit on hills sending waves of booms to attack mobs with zero risk
Old 02-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #13
Remove Nozzle
Tainted Zombie

I made a warlord and got him to lvl 25 in a sitting. 20-25 was such a breeze. Go to necropolis, gather the non-aggro ones up and get them all wrangled, pop an HP potion and aoe them down. Good times.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #14
XelliB
Heathen Knight

XelliB will become famous soon enough

One of my alts is sub'd as a Destroyer and I'd been contemplating changing from Destro to WL... I'm curious how others feel about those too.

I'm not sure if it's finalized, I hate to perpetuate a potential rumor, however there was that CT-Final notes posted that Frenzy will have a 10 minute re-use delay.

Elemental Master -- Cardinal -- Saint -- Heirophant
XelliB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:10 AM   #15
Oldfart
Beleth's Slave

Oldfart is on a distinguished road

Frenzy already has either a 5 min or 10 min re-use delay (I forget which, as it's been a while since I used it). The change in the next expansion, if I understand right, is that skill-re-use times will be fixed / static. If this is correct, increasing attack speed on a Destroyer will likely not shorten the re-use delay for Frenzy. One wonders about this change, when one considers that there is gear / buffs / dances to shorten re-use time of skills.
Oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:09 AM   #16
AquaSpark
Imperial Warlord

AquaSpark is on a distinguished road

If it's aoe, go WL. They the best - especially considering nerfs to destroyers in next chronicle.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:53 AM   #17
Nanashi_Naomhan
Frintezza

destro is the best pole class and even with the nerf to frenzy i have yet to read any nerfs on rage so keeping up rage 24/7 with self buffs could well make them better than WL next chron too
Old 02-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #18
Nuku
Beleth's Slave

Nuku will become famous soon enoughNuku will become famous soon enough

Safe poling? - Warlord hands down, the only class that ONLY specializes in aoe, they can save your party's *** when **** hits the fan + easier for healers since they can make sure your party takes less dmg from mobs.

Fast poling? - Destro for sure, see previous posts.

There is no best, it all depends what you want.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #19
XelliB
Heathen Knight

XelliB will become famous soon enough

ooooooooooh! You guys aren't helping! haha

I guess I made it to 66 on Destro, I might as well just finish it and maybe sub again WL, who knows.

Thanks for the info though!

Elemental Master -- Cardinal -- Saint -- Heirophant
XelliB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #20
AquaSpark
Imperial Warlord

AquaSpark is on a distinguished road

I don't feel like going to check, but I'm pretty sure the next chronicle nerf is:

Attack speed won't affect reuse. So Haste/ Dance of Fury / Zerk will do nothing for reuse.

This might also mean no continuous rage even with a Sword Muse because Renewal and Champion are also nerfed (Renewal goes from -30% to -20% / Champion goes from -30% to -10%).
/sarcasmon Thanks for nerfing some of our only good songs NcSoft. I really think SwM needed a nerf. /sarcasmoff

Hence I still suggest WL to OP.