Lineage II Forums  
Go Back   Lineage II Forums > Lineage II Discussion > Dev Corner

Login

Dev Corner Questions and answers from the people behind the scenes of Lineage II. Only mods can start threads in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
Omega
Retired Producer

Omega is on a distinguished road
Default State of Lineage II, June 16th, 2009

Greetings!

I wanted to take some time to address some concerns that have been expressed over the last couple of months, a State of Lineage II Address, if you will.

The last few months have been very difficult times for the Lineage II Team. We have had some company reorganization and have all been relocated to Seattle during this time, so it has been challenging to keep our day to day operations at the high standard we all strive for. The launch of Gracia Final and the continued monthly events were tasks that seemed impossible to complete on schedule. However, with a lot of hard work from all of our team members, we were able to keep these things on schedule. Even with this, I know not everything has worked out as I had hoped. The cancellation of our original plan to overhaul the website and the lack of constant forum moderation are two examples of things that I wish could have been different. We sincerely apologize for these inconveniences and thank you very much for all of your patience.

Marissa “Moxie” Mcwaters has fully transitioned from the Austin office and is now fully available for her duties here in Seattle. I have more good news today!

Lauren “Lyzira” Duncan has joined the Lineage II team as our Community Manager! Lyzira has a history of community experience and is joining us after spending the last year with the Exteel and Lineage communities. She has been with NCsoft for over 2 years and has prior Quality Assurance experience. She has a long history of MMO experience both as a player and in the industry. We believe she will be a tremendous asset to the Lineage II community and to the Lineage II Team as a whole.

Please know that not everything is going to be updated and changed in a short period of time, but these things are priorities for us, so they will be in good time.

Last edited by Omega; 06-19-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Lyzira
Retired Community Manager

Lyzira will become famous soon enoughLyzira will become famous soon enough
Default Re: State of Lineage II, June 16th, 2009

Hello everyone!

I'm really excited to be here and can't wait to become a part of this community and get to know you all better. I've known the Lineage II team since we were all back in Austin and I am so happy to be working with such an awesome group of people.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
SneezingTiger
Beleth's Slave

SneezingTiger will become famous soon enoughSneezingTiger will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzira View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm really excited to be here and can't wait to become a part of this community and get to know you all better. I've known the Lineage II team since we were all back in Austin and I am so happy to be working with such an awesome group of people.
methinks you'll regret taking the job. I hope they pay you well.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
Moxie
Producer

Moxie will become famous soon enough

Welcome Lyzira!!

I know Lyzira is going to do great things for this community. Her ideas and motivation have already shown us the amazing things to come. We are very lucky to have her!
Old 06-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
Varaya
Valakas

Varaya is a jewel in the roughVaraya is a jewel in the roughVaraya is a jewel in the roughVaraya is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Hello everyone!

Welcome, and hope you brought your nomex undies

There are quite a few things in this game which could use improvements, and the communication between players and GMs/devs is one of them. It would be good to make it a bit more transparent if the things players here would like to see improved actually make it to the devs (in Korea) or the GMs (here) as suggestions, what they then think about it and what actually might be done about it in the near future. And I guess that is what the community manager is here for
Old 06-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
Mindkeeper
Dark Lord

Mindkeeper is on a distinguished road

Welcome looking forward for a fresh motivation on the game, forum support

One thing about the Webpage theres a lot of pages about this game, many of them have Wiki kind pages with info's, why dont set a wiki system in L2 moderated to some players to help improve the official one?

This is a idea i know how closed some things should be, but to renew "The Library" would be awesome imo, i made a wiki on my clan webpage, but my time is short to update it, so far i only got completed the info about Rim Pailaka witch imo was one of the best things recently added in game to help players. If anyone want to read it: http://www.eximiusclan.com/wiki/Rim_Pailaka

But once more welcome to L2 team, and nice that Nc departments are taking the places where they should be
Old 06-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
UpiryGirl
Thunder Wyrm

UpiryGirl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneezingTiger View Post
methinks you'll regret taking the job. I hope they pay you well.
/agree

welcome aboard Lyzira
Old 06-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
Lyzira
Retired Community Manager

Lyzira will become famous soon enoughLyzira will become famous soon enough

Oh you'd better believe I own a few pair Varaya

I definitely would love to hear more about what you guys would like to see as I get settled in around here.

I'm a big fan of forums and communication and you'll definitely be seeing a lot of posts from me around here. Keeping communication lines open between players, devs, and all of our teams is definitely important.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
Xentheous
Remnant Diabolist

Xentheous will become famous soon enoughXentheous will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I definitely would love to hear more about what you guys would like to see as I get settled in around here.

I'm a big fan of forums and communication and you'll definitely be seeing a lot of posts from me around here. Keeping communication lines open between players, devs, and all of our teams is definitely important.
*Sniff* i think i love you already

To Omega:
Thank you for the update.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
SneezingTiger
Beleth's Slave

SneezingTiger will become famous soon enoughSneezingTiger will become famous soon enough

So... Seriously now.

Website. What'll happen in the next 3months - 6months - 1year? Will it be updated so the information on it is actually up to date? Currently it is useless if you want information you can rely on.

Ingame. are there any events planned between now and christmas? (not counting the inevitable Gracia Plus "Launch Event")
Old 06-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
Xentheous
Remnant Diabolist

Xentheous will become famous soon enoughXentheous will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneezingTiger View Post
So... Seriously now.

Website. What'll happen in the next 3months - 6months - 1year? Will it be updated so the information on it is actually up to date? Currently it is useless if you want information you can rely on.

Ingame. are there any events planned between now and christmas? (not counting the inevitable Gracia Plus "Launch Event")
Does anyone else have a problem opeining the weapons up in the library every time i do my explorer freezes on me and i need to restart it. :S

As for the events i know omega said we get one right after this one so hopefully its rewards are good (like top transformations i wanna be anakim lol)
Old 06-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #12
SneezingTiger
Beleth's Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xentheous View Post
Does anyone else have a problem opeining the weapons up in the library every time i do my explorer freezes on me and i need to restart it. :S

As for the events i know omega said we get one right after this one so hopefully its rewards are good (like top transformations i wanna be anakim lol)
Yea. I tried it once during a break at work (not allowed to install firefox there) It freezes in EI, it's fine in Firefox.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #13
ClickClickBoom
Dark Knight

ClickClickBoom is on a distinguished road

the english version of this game started as a niche mmo for hardcore griders/pvpers. certain aspects of this game clearly seperate it from other mmos: A) an open (sandbox) environment, where anyone can attack you at any time. B) each update brings dynamic pvp class imbalances, giving hope to weaker pvp classes that they will one day be the top of the food chain. C) many risks involved in effort-based equipment creation and loss. D) a wide diversity of player morality.

most people consider all these things to be negative aspects of the game, but actually they are truely genious, because they add opportunities for player conflicts as well as build bonds between players. what this game needs is more things along the same line of thought...more game-driven emergent conditions that make me to want to kill other players. i think territorial wars are a step in the right direction, a golem that i can summon for the express purpose of selling myself soul ore...is just stupid. i beleive the designers did not have a clear understanding of which direction they wanted the game to go, and this ultimately caused a LACK OF COMMUNICATION between the players and the desingers. also, what the GM team should have been doing (or could do more) was giving the players an innaccurate idea of the risks involved with their actions. players that do not have hiogh morality, need to be scared into thinking they are doing something "bad" to have fun. if no one gets punished, then they aren't having fun because they don't preceive that there is a risk involved.

now, you ask, what has happened to the english version of Lineage II, in general, since it was released? the demograghics. like many other online games, it saw an initial intrest from the US, and five years later most of those initial players can't really be expected to still be playing. not neccessarily becasue of game design...in five years time, a lot can happen in real life...it's hard for many people to hold a job for that long. from a business perspective, that means that you need to find a way to get new players. marketing doesn't cost as much as you might be led to believe. if you don't believe me, start a thread and ask your players how to best market your game, if it were me i would make some banners for players to put on their webpages, maybe hand out some server space for official clan web pages, and start a facebook page for "NC West". to not market your product would be a LACK OF COMMUNICATION between your oganization and people whom have never heard of your game.

unofficial "private" versions of the game are played in many countries, and an increasing number of players are not from english speaking countries. instead of trying to get more americans to play a five-year old game, why not try to reclaim the market that the private servers have created, by showing your playerbase that playing on the official servers is better than playing on private? i've been saying it for a long time, but what someone needs to do is call up the people who have been running private servers, and offer them an ultimatum or get them on your payroll. add language support (in game and on forums) for the most popular non-english languages. once again this is an issue concerning LACK OF COMMUNICATION.

also, there is not much "community" left to manage. with the softening of the game over time, a lot of really good hardcore have left, the ones that remain only seem to want to complain about things that have already been complained about 34645645 times. hopefully, in a previous life, you got some experience as a babysitter. good luck.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #14
Nanashi_Naomhan
Frintezza

Nanashi_Naomhan is just really niceNanashi_Naomhan is just really niceNanashi_Naomhan is just really niceNanashi_Naomhan is just really niceNanashi_Naomhan is just really nice

quick everyone get excited that stuff in L2 will get fixed!!!
Old 06-19-2009, 11:48 PM   #15
XelliB
Heathen Knight

XelliB will become famous soon enough

I wish you all the best of luck Lyzira. I am familiar with online community management and I know what a large task you've taken on. This community is in desperate need for a lot of work and help.

Let's hope you're the fresh blood this all needed to get back on it's feet! Welcome to Lineage II.

Elemental Master -- Cardinal -- Saint -- Heirophant
Old 06-19-2009, 11:52 PM   #16
Armenua
Beleth's Slave

Armenua has a spectacular aura about themArmenua has a spectacular aura about them

Im really happy to welcome you aboard Lyzira.

And yes, communication is soooo important... our questions need to be answered, instead of us kibbitzing between ourselves. (I.e. the thread about Tiat leveling crystals: http://boards.lineage2.com/showthread.php?t=202980)

When Moxie was actively on the boards, some important things got attended to, like the 1 hp rez and the cape crash glitch... which I personally am extremely grateful for ^^ Thanks Moxie!!

It would be great if the Official forums were the go-to place for details, but it hasn't been for a long time. Hopefully, you can help it become a place where bugs and questions get taken care of!

Once again. Welcome to the boards, Lyzira. Glad to have you.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:39 AM   #17
DrTulp
Remnant Diabolist

DrTulp is a jewel in the roughDrTulp is a jewel in the roughDrTulp is a jewel in the roughDrTulp is a jewel in the rough

I'm one of the guys that complains about bots and the rampant cheating that is being allowed.

I've been here for 5 years and histiory has taught me that in a few months omega will make another promise to fix things with some new people.

Will you make a difference...i honestly doubt it....sorry...

Please don't waste your time to answer this post.

Show me!

Thank you
<3
Old 06-20-2009, 12:49 AM   #18
oXo
Grave Predator

oXo is an unknown quantity at this point

What about the state of the GM team? You claim to ban bots everyday, which is fine, especially if you are. But why aren't you banning the ones that have the most negative effect on gameplay?

Why is it that after spam went to Aion, things seemingly got worse? Why are you wasting our time with posts like "btw we were moving, k thx, we'll try" when most people already knew this from spam's farewell post?

Why are you wasting time with cosmetics when there are real problems at hand?

ps> welcome to lineage 2
Old 06-20-2009, 01:05 AM   #19
Trensharo
Valakas

Trensharo is a jewel in the roughTrensharo is a jewel in the roughTrensharo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Lol.

I like you. You're comical.

I'll believe it when I see it, cause those lines have been closed since the Beta ended.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:11 AM   #20
vikobe
Imperial Warlord

vikobe will become famous soon enough

I agree with oxo since than spam have left teon go more often yellow or red

For luna the bots have back to saturate varkas and hot spring, every time i teleport to hot spring i see this tyrant botting since 3 months 24/24h in the teleport spot

And in varkas i see this hero botting since april, i thought than after the hero ban in luna the others heroes will be more carefull, but this hero in varka proove me than even if he is hero he can bot without fear in public place and than he dont need to hide in deep dungeon
Closed Thread