Lineage II Forums  
Go Back   Lineage II Forums > Lineage II Discussion > Dev Corner

Login

Dev Corner Questions and answers from the people behind the scenes of Lineage II. Only mods can start threads in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
Moxie
Producer

Moxie will become famous soon enough
Default Moxie Q&A - Answers!

Hello Everyone!

Thank you all for submitting your questions through Lyzira. I appreciate your enthusiasm and hope that this section will provide a good place for us to communicate on a more regular basis.

In regards to the answers, please know that I answered as many of them as I could that were within my knowledge. There are some answers that can be better answered by other teams, so I'd like to let them address those. I combined many of the questions into one answer, as we had repeat inquiries throughout the thread.

Again, thanks very much for participating!

1. "Working on the game"—What exactly is your job? I thought all changes are made in Korea!? Can you explain what your job entails/what you do as an associate producer?
My job as assistant producer is to assist the producer with any requests he has. This may mean helping organize tasks for other teams, gathering information the producer may need for a report, or getting information another team may need to complete a task. I also streamline communication and scheduling between all teams that work on Lineage II so that information is easy to obtain, tasks and goals are transparent, and schedules between all teams are clear. As many of you know, when I began this job, we didn't have a community manager, so I temporarily helped out with some community tasks, as well.

2. What made you decide to work in the MMO industry?
I’ve played games for as long as I can remember. I remember taking quarters from my dad's coin stash and sneaking across the street to play Super Mario Arcade at the convenience store when I was 10. It’s just a natural part of my life. So when the opportunity came up to work for a game company, the decision to work on games was a pretty easy one.

3. How long have you been involved with MMOs?
My first MMO was EverQuest. I started playing it when it came out, so I guess that would put me at right about the 10-year mark.

4. What does the nickname "Moxie" mean, or where did you get it/come across it?
Moxie is a combination of my real life nickname “Moe” and an online nickname I used for a long time that had “Pixie” in it. When I joined the QA team in 2007, I had to choose a nickname for the Team Bios page. I originally chose "Moejito," but had no plans of using it long term. When I moved into my new role, I thought for awhile about it and settled on Moxie.

5. Is that your kitty in the avatar?
I think you may have mistaken me for your wonderful community manager, Lyzira.

6. How do you like Seattle?
I love it! It’s a fantastic city and seems to be a good hub for NCsoft West.

7. Does anyone really care about our proposals for the game that we post here? I mean, is there a chance that changes will be done because of our posts? Do you think you can influence NCsoft Korea's decisions at least at some point (talking about game suggestions)?
Yes, the team here at NCsoft West definitely cares about the suggestions and proposals players make for the game, and these are sent to the development team in Korea. It may not seem like it since we don’t handle the development here in the West, but many of the changes to the game, like the vitality system which makes the game so much more accessible, are made in part due to your suggestions. We hear you, we care, and we definitely make sure that the development team in Seoul knows what you are saying about Lineage II.

8. Will this team stay longer? The L2 team changes all the time. . . .Why?
Speaking in general, games that have already had a long life tend to have staff members move on to other projects and have replacements for those folks move in. Also speaking in general, all companies have to make adjustments now and then in order to align themselves appropriately with current expectations. These two realities are the main reasons we have seen so many shifts in the Lineage II team in the last year. We feel the changes we went through as a company and as a team were ultimately positive for Lineage II. We now have a very solid team who is in place, and we are comfortable with our roles. Most of us have been involved with Lineage II for quite a long time. We’re all dedicated and very excited to be where we are.

9. Can we maybe expect new NCsoft US-only events, not only copies from Asia?

We have seen events in the past that were unique to Lineage II, as in they had not been run on the Korean servers when they went live on our servers. The Saving Santa Event from last holiday season was unique to all overseas territories and had not been used on the Korean servers. This event was a U.S. priority event and other territories were able to run the event with our approval. Additionally, the April Fool’s Event was initially run simultaneously in several territories, including the U.S. Events are not only fun, but an important part of the gameplay experience, so we will continue to provide these on a regular basis. Unfortunately, no territory has the luxury of running unique events every month, so we will continue to choose events we hope you will most enjoy.

10. With all the fuss about Aion at the moment, can we be assured there is going to be any effort put into L2 beyond the Gracia update?
Yes, you can be assured that we will continue to work as diligently as possible to get the next expansion to you in good condition and as quickly as possible. While there may be a lot of focus on Aion, our team is dedicated solely to Lineage II. Additionally, the development team in Korea is dedicated solely to Lineage II.

11. Is there any way to explain why/how Korea's updates seem to be about 6 months in advance of ours? Is it just simply down to translations, or is it more complicated?
The process of implementing new expansions to our server is definitely complicated. I wish it were as simple as just translating some text and being done with it. However, during the localization process, there are many, many thousands of files that must go through translation and multiple levels of editing. It sounds simple when explained in one short sentence, but coming from a team that works directly with the process, I can attest to how time-consuming it is. Our long-term goal is to close the gap between the time Korea launches an expansion and when we do, but in order to get things ready to be played in English, there will always be delays. This time gap is largely dependent on how much text changes between expansions, as well as other technical factors that sometimes come into play.

12. How long did it take to design and implement the Master of Enchanting Event, and what effort goes into one of these events?
This is a question specifically for the Korean development team that creates all of the events. We’ll submit this for the next Q&A session with that team!

13. Do you play Lineage II now? What other MMORPGs have you played or experienced?
Yes, I play Lineage II now. I’ve played quite a few MMOs. Of course, I have played the regular NCsoft titles. My first ever MMO was EverQuest, to which I was highly addicted for a few years. I've played Planetside, Dark Age of Camelot, and World of Warcraft. I tried many other titles, too, but didn’t quite dig them. While I love MMOs, I’ve also spent my fair share of time in FPS games. I quite enjoy a good shooter now and then.

14. What does your workspace in NCsoft West look like? Seriously, I have no idea what the inside of a MMORPG company looks like and am very curious. Pictures are welcomed. ^.^
I’ll snap a few pics for you.

This picture is of our reception area when you enter our offices.

This picture is of our open work area.

15. Will there be an update to the Team Bios? It would be helpful to know who is part of the L2 team.
Yes! This is one of the many web changes we’re focusing on. There are a few other sections of the site we’d put a higher priority on, but we’ll definitely get this section updated.

16. Are there gonna be Vitality events?
We’re planning to! We’ve heard the response to the other Vitality-centric events we’ve run, and the response is overwhelmingly positive. We take your responses into consideration when we delve into upcoming event possibilities. On the flip side, we don’t want to ruin the genuine joy that people have when playing Vitality-centric events by running them regularly. They’re a special treat, and we want everyone to keep the excitement level up when those types of events go up.

17. Is there any work going on to speed up the banning process of third-party program users?
Yes. I can’t go into detail about how it works, but I can tell you, yes, there are new methods being used.

18. Is your job stressful, or is it chill?
A little of both. Sometimes, it’s pretty chill, even if I’m in the middle of a work storm, because I truly enjoy what I do. Sometimes, those work storms can be stressful because while it’s a great job, it’s still a job, and even the best job in the world comes with stress.

19. If you could do it all over again, would you "reroll"?
I don’t think I would change anything. My history with the company has really helped me with my current job, and I’m thankful for all of the time I spent in other departments.

20. Why is publicity about L2, to be generous, very, very, very rare?
This is a very difficult topic. While we would love to have advertising and exposure everywhere all the time, the reality is we have a budget we must work with, and that budget doesn’t exactly lend itself to many areas of advertising or promotions. We’re in the process of exploring new media opportunities for communicating with our players, as well as trying to find other people who might be interested in trying out Lineage II. These new options might be solutions to help us promote the game and they might not. Our hope is to find a good venue where we can appeal to a larger audience.

21. To increase the confidence of the player community in the work of the GMs, regarding the banning of cheaters, have you considered putting a list in the site, updated daily, of the banned players?

We are still considering this possibility.

22. Why isn't the site yet updated? What is the current workload/process to getting our website back up-to-date? The former team made a "to do" list with our wishes from the Site and Forum Issues section. Does it still exist? The Lineage II home page needs a lot of care.

The site isn’t updated for a variety of reasons that have been touched on here. I would list them again, but honestly, it’s something we know must get done as quickly as possible, and it is a priority. I’d rather just deliver an updated website as quickly as we can rather than list reasons that it is not currently updated.

23. Are those dimension merchant NPCs standing near warehouses going to work in any foreseeable future? Will our community ever see missing game features (extra character slot, vitamin manager, etc.)?
Our hope is to provide as many Lineage II features to our players as possible. Right now, I don’t have any specifics about which features we will introduce or when, but we do discuss the possibilities, and of course will update you when we can.

24. How is Spam doing at the new place, and do the old mods still allow him to come play at lunch with them?
I’ve heard Spam is doing well in his new position and everyone still gets along swimmingly!

25. When is the next developer discussion going to take place?
I’ll let Lyzira broach this subject at a later date. I can say it is in the works.

26. What you feel when you check this forum and see so many people complaining about the lack of more interaction from the NCsoft community?
When I check the forums, I see players who are very vocal and passionate about the game they love. I’m reminded of a legacy we are entering into where players were used to a certain level of communication, and they are unhappy with a perceived change to it. I know a high post count from my end will likely not change this perception, as our players have heard it all. I understand that the best way to change the perception on the forums is to provide results, so that’s what I’d like to focus on.

27. Why L2, and why now?
I’ve been with NCsoft for close to four years and have worked in some capacity with Lineage II in all of my positions. It was a natural progression for me, and I’m really happy to be a part of the Lineage II team.

28. Is the situation about bots ever gonna change? Why don't you guys (staff) ban confirmed bots right away? I heard from someone on some forums that some GMs after detecting a bot, simple teleport them to another spot (to die in mobs or something). Did your policy change? Please answer me that, I'm curious.

Yes, I believe the issues people experience with bots will be changing. Our GMs have been working on new, more precise ways to identify characters that are using third-party programs to automate their gameplay. I believe these new processes will allow them to be more efficient in identifying and removing these characters from the game.

29. What are your personal goals and things you would like to accomplish while being a part of this company?
I really just want to learn as much as I can about the process of making good games and delivering them to players who love to play.

30. What do you think of the competition that Lineage has in the MMO world—such as WoW?
I see competition as a good thing, as I think any company striving for success would. Successful games bring more gamers to the fold! I think there are fantastic games out there that are just fun to play. I think Lineage II is also a fun game to play, but with magnificent depth. There are so many intricate systems within Lineage II, it’s mind-boggling.

Last edited by Moxie; 07-22-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Lyzira
Retired Community Manager

Lyzira will become famous soon enoughLyzira will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moxie Q&A - Answers!

Thank you Moxie for answering all of these questions! We'll be taking more questions soon for another Q&A right here in the Dev Corner so check back soon.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
Armenua
Beleth's Slave

Armenua has a spectacular aura about themArmenua has a spectacular aura about them

Thanks, Moxie, for your answers, although they are pretty generic I imagine it is hard to really answer anything.

I would like to talk about the events... There is no doubt that we love the events. It's actually sweet to watch these hardcore pvpers get like children when the events offer up prizes ... hahaha.

Of course the Saving Santa event had to be NA oriented! It was really a fantastic event, and a lot of fun... It was such a treat to have Santa pop up next to you and hand you that package!! The buffs scrolls were incredible. Also gave us a chance to use weapons we would never probably get to use (+16 etc etc). The best thing about it was that no matter what character/class you play, you could get that visit and those buffs and weapon tickets. Also, it was really in the theme of the Holiday.

In other events that have happened since then, particularly the GK event, it really prohibited me from participating in my normal game-playing role of healer. Other support classes could participate, like the Warcryer or the Bladedancer, Elven Elder.. but not my class. There is no way I could transform into a GK and keep my party alive in the places where we hunt. Even the Valentine's event, I couldn't really grab the pots to get the prizes, because I stand away from the damage, and someone is there picking things up. I could get my hands on one here and there, but eventually just gave up.

I know these things come up after the event is done and sometimes just can't be foreseen. So I thought I would just put it in there.

On the subject of Advertising, it is really too bad that there couldn't be more priority on it. Lineage2 is not a game for all gamers, as it can be pretty harsh, but it is rich and complicated and a challenge for so many that want more than a simple game.

Last edited by Armenua; 07-20-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
_Parsul_
Grave Predator

_Parsul_ is on a distinguished road

wow, thx for answers!
Old 07-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
Telestra
Tainted Zombie

Telestra is an unknown quantity at this point

cool... much appreciated!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
__Terry__
Remnant Diabolist

__Terry__ will become famous soon enough

Tks for the answers. Wish now to see that all work you say that you guys do, to give us some good results. Cause if we can give you guys a score i bet it will be lower than avarege.

It went up a bit after Lyzira efforts, but still we need to see more.

Give us the ban list (this will prove to people that they'r effort reporting is not a waste).
Give us a decent website content (the actual website is outdated, have unfinished works, and have no good tools or precise info. I think i dont need to say the names of the sites that simple puts l2 one at the trash do i?)
Old 07-20-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
mcBuff
Remnant Diabolist

mcBuff will become famous soon enoughmcBuff will become famous soon enough

The saving santa event was the best event ever, even though it wasn't perfectly implemented (like at the beginning only ppl in combat can get the present, which i'm glad they changed it; and some miscommunication at the end about the scrolls etc...) but still I loved it a lot; especially all classes benefits from the event.

I definiately hope that there will be more NA oriented events in the future, as it does appeal better to the NA demographic.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #8
gatompalo
Banned

gatompalo will become famous soon enough

I saw some ppl with no hair at the working area.

Wondering why...
Old 07-21-2009, 01:13 AM   #9
bel
Beleth's Slave

bel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousourada View Post
I saw some ppl with no hair at the working area.

Wondering why...
and I thought, NC's office would be waaaaaayyy bigger!
Old 07-21-2009, 07:03 AM   #10
Leonidar
Antharas

Leonidar has a spectacular aura about themLeonidar has a spectacular aura about themLeonidar has a spectacular aura about them

Isent it hard for the receptionist to talk to people that come in with a big picture plack in the way?

Thanks for the Q&A and hoping that what you say will bear truth not just hope. Still very nice.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
Olisiponense
Thunder Wyrm

Olisiponense is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for your answers Moxie.

I really hope the NCSoft HQ finally start to realize the importance of advertising a high quality product has is L2, and invest real money in the European and North American market, because L2 isn't so famous as deserve because of poor divulgation in his target market, and some others companies take that place (Blizzard...).

And more people is always good to the servers and the finances!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #12
Armenua
Beleth's Slave

Armenua has a spectacular aura about themArmenua has a spectacular aura about them

Divulgation!! I love that kinda talk
Old 07-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #13
Yidao
Remnant Diabolist

Yidao is just really niceYidao is just really niceYidao is just really niceYidao is just really nice

Quote:
Our GMs have been working on new, more precise ways to identify characters that are using third-party programs to automate their gameplay. I believe these new processes will allow them to be more efficient in identifying and removing these characters from the game.
Why do you just remove the characters from the game and not the persons behind the characters? Botters are bad persons, we don't want them among us.
At elliebelly.net anybody who posts adena ads or nonsense like that gets mercilessly and without further warning IP banned. They never come back. IP address banning works. Credit card number banning works.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #14
Isabelie
Remnant Diabolist

Isabelie will become famous soon enoughIsabelie will become famous soon enough

*passes BEER Thank You Moxie -That was an awesome interview! I think we smell cleaner air?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:57 AM   #15
Zhanig
Remnant Diabolist

Zhanig will become famous soon enoughZhanig will become famous soon enough

Thank you for your responses. Good to hear Spam is being taken care of after jumping ship (j/k)....

These players and especially the people that take the time to post on the site just really want this to be the best that it can be.

I would like to offer that you post ideas for events in the same way you posted for questions to you. I think there were some bomb old events that should be brought back for the noobies in the game and some new ideas from the community for new / different events.

Anyways, welcome to the machine. Watch your step ....
Old 07-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #16
Warfare
Dark Lord

Warfare is on a distinguished road

yada yada yada blah blah, that's all I read here.
when are you finally going to pay attention to us low lifes ( read paying customers ) and finally deal with the bots once and for all, not just ban 1 account every 4 months, but actually stop them for good ? Yeah yeah we know, bla bla, AION, bla bla. Nobody cares, just fix the **** bots issue in L2 ...
Old 07-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #17
Warfare
Dark Lord

Warfare is on a distinguished road

also, just a thought ... L2 is several years old now, it seems funny to talk about new processes and how we will see more activity from GM's - (yeah right ), seriously I really think no one believes the same old cwap. Just fix the **** issue, don't promise anything, don't tell anyone aobut your processes, I really could not care less, just fix the **** issue
Old 07-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #18
populus
Antharas

populus has a spectacular aura about thempopulus has a spectacular aura about them

as much as I'd love to believe in Moxie's and Lyzira's positive attitude, I don't think NCSoft as a company cares.... with their limited powers and influences (especially since they're new at their positions) what they can achieve is also limited

I really would like to see results instead of empty words that I've been hearing for the past 5 years.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #19
Yue
Thunder Wyrm

Yue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post

24. How is Spam doing at the new place, and do the old mods still allow him to come play at lunch with them?
Ive heard Spam is doing well in his new position and everyone still gets along swimmingly!
But there is no swimming in Aion... if you go into the water, you'll just drown (((
Old 07-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #20
Zhanig
Remnant Diabolist

Zhanig will become famous soon enoughZhanig will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yue View Post
But there is no swimming in Aion... if you go into the water, you'll just drown (((
Brilliant !!