Lineage II Forums  
Go Back   Lineage II Forums > Lineage II Discussion > Player Questions

Login

Player Questions Attention new players (and veterans too)! Do you have questions about Lineage II? Looking for a drop? Need tips on a quest? Come on in and ask your questions here--players of all experience levels are welcome!

Old 09-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
King Rothgar
Elpy

King Rothgar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to do?

I've been playing a couple weeks, have a gladiator freshly made at lvl40 and have no idea as to what to do. All the quests are the same (go kill x number of monster y) and running around killing random monsters is unbelievably boring. So, what is there to do besides kama and random monster killing at lvl40? I have no interest in grinding another 40 levels before doing pvp so what are some options right now?
King Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
Nukk
Thunder Wyrm

Nukk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What to do?

L2 is a boring game unless you make friends. If you make friends then you have more fun and the levelling goes quicker. However, as you get higher level you will notice more and more things that are wrong with the game as a consequence of it not being moderated and this will only serve to piss you off. So, you will be bored and ****** off but still play because you have some friends in game.

Don't expect any kind of meaningful PvP in L2, if that is all you are levelling for - forget it. The whole PvP in L2 is a farce dominated by botted players.

I'd quit now if I were you. Best honest advice I can give.

Last edited by Nukk; 09-11-2009 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Seemed like I was condoning botting :(
Nukk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:13 AM   #3
Ailierynn
Tainted Zombie

Ailierynn is an unknown quantity at this point

I am afraid there is really so much you can do until you get some meaningful level. It's not really about empiric numbers, but rather about the average level of your clan. L2 is a group game, soloing is booooring. Another problem is that the general population is way above lvl 40, and even if you do see someone prior to s-grade, it's mostly someone's 2nd/3rd/whatever toon, or sub. In any case, people generally dont play those, but just push xp-ing as fast as possible.

Still, there are several clans out there that are lower level people that enjoy game content below s-grade, and are not in a hurry to get higher levels. Your best bet is to stick to them, doing group grinds, raid bosses, occasional fort siege.

Just so you know, pvp does happen on any level, it's just that when you fight someone's sub, they are either totally crappy (never played and not really playing their sub), or too powerful (those that do like their sub, learned how to play it, and did not mind spending a ton of their adena to equip it well).

It does sound a bit discouraging, but, at least, you'll know what to expect. And nowadays, if you just play your glad, even casual grind will get you to reasonable levels in less than a couple months. L2 is not like wow, you don't become a factor level quickly... (unless you take illegal shortcuts, but you really shouldn't.)
Ailierynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:49 AM   #4
Edge
Imperial Warlord

Edge will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rothgar View Post
So, what is there to do besides kama and random monster killing at lvl40? I have no interest in grinding another 40 levels before doing pvp so what are some options right now?
In the general scheme of things, you should be making yourself acquainted with other people, so you can form more efficient teams in order to engage in pvp later (if L2 pvp is your cup of tea of course). That mostly means find a good clan.

Apart from that, how about you engage into some money making? How are you going to equip yourself?
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:17 AM   #5
King Rothgar
Elpy

References to wow mean nothing to me, I only played that for about an hour before deciding it was garbage. So basically the conclusion is there is nothing fun to do in this game till s-grade then? In regards to money, I'm doing just fine in game. Using common gear atm but if I really wanted to, I could get the adena to upgrade to best c grade in a few days. But as said, I have no interest in grinding.

I have done some pvp here but it's mostly been limited to killing bots who surprisingly fight back though they fail miserably at it. As said, just looking for something to do at lvl40 other than grinding. Games should be fun on day one, not require 2 months of grind to be fun. I came here from eve online and although at 1 day you can't do much, you can do things other than grind. Not really sure why MMO's love grind. The worst invention in MMO history was SP/XP. Should just do away with that, that adds nothing to any game but boredom. That's a bit OT though.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:53 AM   #6
Edge
Imperial Warlord

Quote:
In regards to money, I'm doing just fine in game. Using common gear atm but if I really wanted to, I could get the adena to upgrade to best c grade in a few days. But as said, I have no interest in grinding.
You need 200m for A grade and 1 billion for S grade (rough teon prices). And that's without enchants, elements, augments...
Quote:
Games should be fun on day one, not require 2 months of grind to be fun.
You seem to be in the wrong game I'm afraid...
Old 09-11-2009, 04:30 AM   #7
King Rothgar
Elpy

Ok, so basically the game isn't fun for the first few months, why is anyone playing it then? Why didn't it flop completely at release? Surely it has something that keeps a few people around.

I find it hard to believe that everyone here thinks the game is boring and sucks yet still pays a subscription .
Old 09-11-2009, 04:55 AM   #8
washtak
Beleth's Slave

washtak has a spectacular aura about themwashtak has a spectacular aura about themwashtak has a spectacular aura about them

Killing monsters isn't fun?
Then what do you expect more? Fedex quests?
There are other activities : fishing, fantasy island's games... but they are very few. L2 is about killing monsters. It's not a sandbox game.

(art by Martha Dahlig)
washtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:39 AM   #9
Edge
Imperial Warlord

Quote:
Ok, so basically the game isn't fun for the first few months, why is anyone playing it then?
"Fun" is a very subjective issue. I have great fun profiting from the next-door-ebayer or calculating investment routes for my adena in game or watching my little anime girl and her teapot decimating mobs, but that's me. Others consider such things completely dull and prefer besieging castles, doing olympiad, fishing, gambling with overenchants, raising pets, assembling the best-looking outfit, ganking, politics, killing bots, doing epic raids or whatever.

You cannot achieve practically anything here without devoting significant effort into it, e.g. even becoming hero usually needs more than being skilled and geared. Some people like it, others don't. At the end of the day, mob killing is something you simply must do in order to be able to engage into most of the other activities.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:42 AM   #10
Smittie
Earth Wyrm Trasken

Smittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud ofSmittie has much to be proud of

Quote:
References to wow mean nothing to me, I only played that for about an hour before deciding it was garbage. So basically the conclusion is there is nothing fun to do in this game till s-grade then? In regards to money, I'm doing just fine in game. Using common gear atm but if I really wanted to, I could get the adena to upgrade to best c grade in a few days. But as said, I have no interest in grinding.

I have done some pvp here but it's mostly been limited to killing bots who surprisingly fight back though they fail miserably at it. As said, just looking for something to do at lvl40 other than grinding. Games should be fun on day one, not require 2 months of grind to be fun. I came here from eve online and although at 1 day you can't do much, you can do things other than grind. Not really sure why MMO's love grind. The worst invention in MMO history was SP/XP. Should just do away with that, that adds nothing to any game but boredom. That's a bit OT though.
o.O another Instant-Gratification Generation brat!

The game wont be more fun than you make it.

Burned out on grinding to 40? Get a fishing rod and go learn fishing.
Guess we know where he hangs out...
Smittie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:48 AM   #11
SrStupedHead
Thunder Wyrm

SrStupedHead will become famous soon enough

When this game first came out, and I was there at C2, it was about the teamwork and killing the mobs. It was also about leveling to see what your skills can do to mobs. The PvP was there to give the bored kids something to do. (shouts of "Red outside Gludin south gate" happened often.) It was also something to keep other players from becoming unruly. (if you flag me, I or my clan will kick your ). Tonight, I was grinding in Isle of Prayer because my Duelist is almost 78 (woot, I get sonic rage in the next skill set) and my SE dual box is almost 76 (woot, I get to do the 700 bug quest so she can be blue tag) and I look around to see bots everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE and their bot programs are lagging me out to the point where I almost black screened myself to losing exp due to death. I also reflect back to the 2 S Grade duals that carefully, painstakingly, gathered the mats and enchantments for and the failure because they didnt make it to +4 (Whose idea was it anyway to make it so that in order to get an SA on your duals, you must risk breaking them?). And I look at my toon and watch him hack and slash his way through mobs in his Tallum Heavy and clean S Grade duals (Thats right, I said Tallum Heavy. almost 78 and Im still wearing A Grade Armor not by choice) and I start to wonder "What is the point?". NC Sucks is advocating no third party programs and yet, here they are, lagging the server, disrupting my enjoyment of the game (which is also against the EULA, come to find out) and they are not doing anything about it.

This game has evolved into one ball of hero trash talk, people pointing fingers at each other and yelling "You are a BOTTER", GMs that dont know the game at all (back then, the GMs were interactive. Anyone remember them doing events on PTS? I do) and their cookie cutter petition system that refers you to log in to the forums for the answers, and new players who get their experience of this great game soured because they look forward to the struggle to find a way to get great gear, one way or another.

Listen, if you think getting to 40 was a grind, try it without the vitality system, the kamaloka and the shortcut to 20 quests that the newbie guide gives you, the common items and the availability of C Grade and low B grade gear in town shops. They were put there to help new players "level fast to play with the big boys". But, dont despair, you made it 40, there are plenty of clans out there who can recruit you, may be you will get lucky and find one that has a player in it who is willing to put you in party with his buffers (sadly, people resort to running their own buffers, which destroys the spirit of "getting into groups because they need your help to exp". Im guilty of it, too)

If, at this point, you are not scared off, discouraged or just sick of the boredom, then this game is for you.

Last edited by SrStupedHead; 09-11-2009 at 05:59 AM.
SrStupedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:20 AM   #12
King Rothgar
Elpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie View Post
o.O another Instant-Gratification Generation brat!

The game wont be more fun than you make it.

Burned out on grinding to 40? Get a fishing rod and go learn fishing.

Instant gratification is kinda the point of video games you know. I don't get payed to play them so why should it feel like work? Now, I fully agree that longer term games like mmo's need to have rewards to look forward to. I'm not saying I should be instantly lvl80 with best gear. But you shouldn't be stuck killing the exact same monster 200k times in the mean time. That's where I'm at atm. I've gotten above the newbie areas but am far below the more advanced stuff. In my particular level area there aren't that many players around. Now yeah, killing a few monsters here and there can be fun but it's only fun if I pick those far above my level where it's actually a challenge. And even that quickly becomes boring.

I bought this game initially because I had read it was open pvp. I figured this would be like eve where there are different security zones and players dropped loot if you killed them. Both of these turned out to be false and so my plans of highway robbery were dashed. Now I'm stuck trying to find something else to do. As said, just killing the same mobs over and over is pretty boring. I'd prefer some form of pvp or something more epic than just diving into ant nest and slaughtering a ton of ants solo (cause I can't find anyone between lvl30 and lvl 70).

I'm not so much complaining as just trying to find out what other forms of play there are. There is bound to be some sort of pvp content that is restricted by level range. There are also surely some other players in my level range somewhere, I just can't find them. I've been hanging around Heine lately as that seems to have monsters of my level but it's pretty lonely there.

BTW, bots are annoying but fun to kill. I may very well end up just spending my remaining game time as a self appointed GM killing them off. But I'd only do that if I'm sure I'm not going to spend any more money on this beyond the initial 2 month GTC.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:32 AM   #13
Edge
Imperial Warlord

Quote:
But you shouldn't be stuck killing the exact same monster 200k times in the mean time. That's where I'm at atm.
The game is designed in a way that requires you to kill many thousands of mobs. What should or should not be is theoretical discussion.

Btw, level 40 is one of the fastest levels around, with vitality and adena to burn you should be 42 in like one hour.
Quote:
There is bound to be some sort of pvp content that is restricted by level range.
There isn't.
Quote:
BTW, bots are annoying but fun to kill. I may very well end up just spending my remaining game time as a self appointed GM killing them off. But I'd only do that if I'm sure I'm not going to spend any more money on this beyond the initial 2 month GTC.
PKing bots is a very nice way to ruin your character.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #14
Ailierynn
Tainted Zombie

Ailierynn is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a side question - what server are you on?
Ailierynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
NoOnes
Hungry Spirit

NoOnes is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry but just laughable to the OP. You bought a MMO WTF DID YOU THINK IT WAS? You knew you had to exp, I got to level 40 in 8 hours max WOW You got to level 40 in 8 - 12 hours and are complaining you hate the quests, you hate the grind, and you hate how there is no PVP in a game that has been out for 5 years.. Maybe you have started 5 years ago when everyone was 40? Maybe you should go to Hellokittyonline.com and play there I doubt there is grind.
NoOnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #16
phoenixdown
Remnant Diabolist

phoenixdown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOnes View Post
Sorry but just laughable to the OP. You bought a MMO WTF DID YOU THINK IT WAS? You knew you had to exp, I got to level 40 in 8 hours max WOW You got to level 40 in 8 - 12 hours and are complaining you hate the quests, you hate the grind, and you hate how there is no PVP in a game that has been out for 5 years.. Maybe you have started 5 years ago when everyone was 40? Maybe you should go to Hellokittyonline.com and play there I doubt there is grind.
+1 To this guy.

Most pvp centric clans will not even accept people who are less than 78/79. If you are looking to find parties, not kill mobs reroll something else. A gladiator is incredibly boring to play in PVE, and difficult to play correctly in PVP. I suggest a WC... every clan needs them, you will get parties, and you get other people to kill for you.
phoenixdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #17
NoOnes
Hungry Spirit

NoOnes is an unknown quantity at this point

Amoungst grinding there are many things to do I will list some for your noobness.

Clan Wars
Territory Wars
Castle Seiges
Quests
Leveling Pets *Wolfs, Cougar, Kookoburoos, Buffalo,Dragons*
Fishing
Fantasy Island Games
Collisuem
PVP
Clan Hall Seiges

So why don't you pick up a level friendly clan and DO SOMETHING.
NoOnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #18
King Rothgar
Elpy

Some people should get that stick out of their *ss. Seriously, I just asked if there was anything to do other than kama and killing random monsters. The answer appears to be no unless I wanna go fishing. The complaint about grind was really just a side note, it's a common problem in many MMO's and I don't expect this one to fundementally change 5 years in. My main question was is there an alternative to this grind even if it's a slower way to level up.

On a related note, reaching lvl20 takes maybe 3 hours, reaching lvl40 takes about 2 weeks of 5 hours a day playtime. So umm, yeah, not exactly 8-12 hours unless there is a cheat quest like there is for lvl20 .
Old 09-12-2009, 12:30 AM   #19
Sakaki
Hungry Spirit

Sakaki is on a distinguished road

Actually there are a lot of things you can do. So many bots around you can play with.
I will list some for you:
PK bots
train bots
party with bots
bot yourself and get banned
beg GM to give your account back
If they don't, say goodbye to this piece of MMO
Old 09-12-2009, 01:02 AM   #20
Xentheous
Remnant Diabolist

Xentheous will become famous soon enoughXentheous will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Some people should get that stick out of their *ss. Seriously, I just asked if there was anything to do other than kama and killing random monsters. The answer appears to be no unless I wanna go fishing. The complaint about grind was really just a side note, it's a common problem in many MMO's and I don't expect this one to fundementally change 5 years in. My main question was is there an alternative to this grind even if it's a slower way to level up.

On a related note, reaching lvl20 takes maybe 3 hours, reaching lvl40 takes about 2 weeks of 5 hours a day playtime. So umm, yeah, not exactly 8-12 hours unless there is a cheat quest like there is for lvl20 .
In essence what people are saying is true, Lineage 2 is a grind oriented game. Its design was initially based on PVP, and grinding. As the Seperation from top players to lower players got larger the PVP lessened and the grinding increased imo. Lineage 2 is a korean developed game and is not tooled to the NA market unfortunately.

But here are some tips to help you out a bit:
1. your a gladiator so you are skilled in using a polearm. So go grab yourself a polearm, a healer friend of equivelant level or higher level player willing to sub a healer and go at it. It will provide you with a nice break from single target killing which is a gladiators bread and butter. You can also possibly pull off lower level polearming by using HP pots the greater ones from dawn priest and dusk priestess.

2. 1-40 in 8-12 hrs is based on soloing raid bosses which requires a high level buffer and a high level weapon.

3. Rift like a motha fooker some good exp in that area. Commander and Hero Rifts have good raid boss drops.

4. Kama's

5. Paliakas unfortunately theres only 3 atm hopefully there will be more.

6. A good side bit of fun is to try and do the festivals for dawn and dusk

7. Try and take a fortress for Knight Eps, if the fortresses are all owned find out which fortress is an alt clan i can pretty well guarentee that a few are alt clans and attack that one cause they are more then likely not on at all. Ive spent lots of time with my main and buffer at fortresses just farming by myself when i was in my clan *you need clan leader to give you siege rights*

8. Time passer of fishing, try to get in the top 5 to get a cash *adena* reward of up to 800k

9. Fantasy island games can be fun and give you coins to be spent on atm... over priced items

10. When a higher level you can compete in the fantasy island kratai(sp?) cube for more fantasy island coins + XP/SP and if in there with someone else PVP

11. MRT Arena PVP sometimes you can find lower level people in there practicing there skills or trying to one vs one a clan mate for fun.

12. MRT bet on the ponies or rats or whatever is racing at the time an interesting way to throw some money away and can be fun if you get more then yourself betting, and shouting out at the race track for your racer to win can be enjoyable ^^.

13. Territory wars only have to be level 40 to participate for a better explination find out from quest listing.

its late and im at work but thats about what i can come up with on the top of my head ^^