Lineage II Forums  
Go Back   Lineage II Forums > Lineage II Discussion > Game Suggestions

Login

Game Suggestions Share your ideas for new or modified game features

Old 03-28-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
Laby
Valakas

Laby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Gameguard

begin_suggestion
Get rid of Gameguard
end_suggestion

The program is too slow, don't do anything with 3rd party programs, and will not stop people for being scammed. And it's the nuisance for the whole pc, making others applications crash

Old 03-28-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
FidgitTheClown
Antharas

FidgitTheClown has a spectacular aura about themFidgitTheClown has a spectacular aura about them
Default Re: Gameguard

why keep game guard again?
i mean ther must be some reason to keep it, even though it prevents using multiple nc games at the same time... that must hurt profits...
Last edited by Sace; 02-01-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Reason: who needs a reason to edit this post
FidgitTheClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:58 AM   #3
sercatum
Imperial Warlord

sercatum will become famous soon enoughsercatum will become famous soon enough

tbh I never disabled GG but always I'm tempted when ppl says it speed up L2.
Did anyone made any compare and can post 'clan mate result'?
Obviously not own results, while one could be banned

So ? Any one has a friend and friend did such check?
Moderator1 : I don't care
sercatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
Laby
Valakas

Laby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sercatum View Post
tbh I never disabled GG but always I'm tempted when ppl says it speed up L2.
Did anyone made any compare and can post 'clan mate result'?
Obviously not own results, while one could be banned

So ? Any one has a friend and friend did such check?
I played without before the new NCSoft policy, because of proxy and vpns.

Loading time for the game with gameguard at Freya : 37
Loading time for the game without gameguard at Freya : 4 seconds

I call "Loading time" the time between the "Start" button on the launcher, and the moment I could write my login

In the same way, it's increase teleport speed between gks, and I have less lags because of it. I have an old processor, a T7500, and both cores are loaded to 75% with gameguard and one client, only 37 % without

I guess the results will be similar, or even better during High Five
Old 03-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Wedge
Thunder Wyrm

Wedge is an unknown quantity at this point

I dunno how effective GG at all (comparing pros and cons), but probably GG constrain common methods of cheating, such as RAM modification etc.
We have many cheaters atm, and many 3rd pty software, against which GG is useless. I don't like GG too, because of those many "problems" I has/still have, but without GG will be cheating nightmare, imo.
I ready to spend even 10min for loading game with gameguard, and increased load for processor, if GG can block those pvp cheats, radar etc. For legit players L2 - just a hard PvE game, when you ding 85, its GAMEOVER, because no chance in PvP against cheaters. Since xping is relatively fast atm, more and more ppl will quit if pvp cheating will be still exist.
1.Get rid of cheating.
2.Improve GG.
Wait, only 1 option please. Because usualy many problems comes with 2nd one.
Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
FidgitTheClown
Antharas

FidgitTheClown has a spectacular aura about themFidgitTheClown has a spectacular aura about them

true, i'm sure game guard protects against a whole bundle of things which would be far worse than the cheats we see now.
maybe speed hacks... they exist in online games...
of course using speed hacks in pvp might not be the best idea anyway...
as they are too easy to report.

it would be nice if there was more information on what game guard protects from.
Last edited by Sace; 02-01-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Reason: who needs a reason to edit this post
FidgitTheClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
aya
Dark Lord

aya is on a distinguished road

I would just be happy if I could watch videos with the game running. GG won't let MPC run, though. Clearly watching videos is still a threat to the game, like how running certain versions of Firefox was a threat in the past.
aya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
_Aithne_
Tainted Zombie

_Aithne_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgitTheClown View Post
true, i'm sure game guard protects against a whole bundle of things which would be far worse than the cheats we see now.
maybe speed hacks... they exist in online games...
of course using speed hacks in pvp might not be the best idea anyway...
as they are too easy to report.

it would be nice if there was more information on what game guard protects from.
Most cheat programs disable or circumvent GG anyway - so getting rid of GG will not let ppl use worse cheats. But cheaters will be harder to track and more ppl will be able to cheat (if that is even possible...). I think almost everyone who wants to cheat in L2 already does (except for the few that are actually afraid of NC).
The only useful function of GG is preventing keyloggers to run while you play L2. But if you have one, the keylogger will just log your Master account id/pw so it does not need your game account id/pw.

GG does not allow me to monitor my CPU/GPU temperature - it's probably cheating to know when my old PC will shut down. It could safe me from getting killed. :P
_Aithne_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:24 AM   #9
NiceDwarf
Guardian Archangel

NiceDwarf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge View Post
I dunno how effective GG at all (comparing pros and cons), but probably GG constrain common methods of cheating, such as RAM modification etc.
No, its effectiveness = 0
We can remove GG by replacing only 1 file in game system folder
And ram modification is so easy even with GG enabled

GG is just slow game, as its said in first post
NiceDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 AM   #10
sercatum
Imperial Warlord

sercatum will become famous soon enoughsercatum will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laby View Post
(...)
Loading time for the game with gameguard at Freya : 37
Loading time for the game without gameguard at Freya : 4 seconds
Thx for info.
Any one did / have seen result related to FPS?
Ofc .. only friends result never own one

P.S. Is Still AION is not using GG?
Moderator1 : I don't care
sercatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:28 AM   #11
Wedge
Thunder Wyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Aithne_ View Post
The only useful function of GG is preventing keyloggers to run while you play L2.
GG - keyloger too
Old 03-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #12
populus
Antharas

populus has a spectacular aura about thempopulus has a spectacular aura about them

GG increase loading times of L2 because it connects to the GG site for updates and checks before L2 launches, if GG server is down or slow, everyone's load times would slow, not sure if L2 would even load if GG servers are down... even if it does, you'd have to wait for it to timeout, which I'd guess is set to 30s o.o

GG's main use is to block keylogging programs, which is a big problem over in Korea where most people play from net cafes... Even if most of us don't go to net cafes, there are still some that do, and it'd hurt those players *alot* if GG was disabled, especially since we do not have a secondary login system that sends us an SMS with an additional password to login.

it also blocks certain memory modifying cheats, which is usually for wall hacks and cheats that require memory/graphical modifications on-the-fly... L2 cheats are mostly in the form of net packet capturing and modifying... which unfortunately no client-side anti-cheat can really stop...
Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #13
Aiki
Dark Knight

Aiki is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by populus View Post
GG increase loading times of L2 because it connects to the GG site for updates and checks before L2 launches, if GG server is down or slow, everyone's load times would slow, not sure if L2 would even load if GG servers are down... even if it does, you'd have to wait for it to timeout, which I'd guess is set to 30s o.o

GG's main use is to block keylogging programs, which is a big problem over in Korea where most people play from net cafes... Even if most of us don't go to net cafes, there are still some that do, and it'd hurt those players *alot* if GG was disabled, especially since we do not have a secondary login system that sends us an SMS with an additional password to login.

it also blocks certain memory modifying cheats, which is usually for wall hacks and cheats that require memory/graphical modifications on-the-fly... L2 cheats are mostly in the form of net packet capturing and modifying... which unfortunately no client-side anti-cheat can really stop...
well.. developers are aware of system which is used at www.l2.ru and its working greate against bots but they ignore it...they are like Emu putting its head in sand..
Aiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
Wedge
Thunder Wyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiki View Post
well.. developers are aware of system which is used at www.l2.ru and its working greate against bots but they ignore it...they are like Emu putting its head in sand..
Intersting. What l2.ru use to prevent those rangers and bots?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
phoenixdown
Remnant Diabolist

phoenixdown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
One that is illegal in most developed nations.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #16
Aiki
Dark Knight

Quote:
no idea but i think that for everybody who is using windows cant be anything else understood as bigger threath than windows
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixdown View Post
One that is illegal in most developed nations.
No offense but you proly have no idea what stuff you have on your own "secured" pc/laptop when you talk about legal and illegal
Old 03-30-2011, 08:54 AM   #17
Hyperlite
Remnant Diabolist

Hyperlite will become famous soon enough

considering gamegaurd has never prevented bots/pvp programs/keyloggers/hacking/packet sniffing/duping items/forcing enchants/etc. so i dont see why we use it still. what exactly is it supposed to prevent?

edit: from what i understand about the l2.ru detection program, it actually scans your harddrvies to find known bot programs. this IS illegal in most developed countries, as it is an invasion of privacy.

edit 2: the l2.ru program is pretty lol worthy as well considering adena is easier to dupe there than here.

A legit, long time player's stance on the new ban policy

Last edited by Hyperlite; 03-30-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Hyperlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:05 AM   #18
Aiki
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperlite View Post
considering gamegaurd has never prevented bots/pvp programs/keyloggers/hacking/packet sniffing/duping items/forcing enchants/etc. so i dont see why we use it still. what exactly is it supposed to prevent?

edit: from what i understand about the l2.ru detection program, it actually scans your harddrvies to find known bot programs. this IS illegal in most developed countries, as it is an invasion of privacy.

edit 2: the l2.ru program is pretty lol worthy as well considering adena is easier to dupe there than here.
antivirus is scanning hard drives as well...memory too....what do you think is Gameguard doing ? Its rootkit as well...just it does realy not what it is supposed to do..
Old 03-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #19
Kaizerpilsner
Tainted Zombie

Kaizerpilsner is an unknown quantity at this point

pss, NC

http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100000822

i saw blizzard releasing this thing, even before my bank implemented those.

but the use of a device as such, requires that there is an actuall entairtainment company to support players and not a kindergarden of dev's and progammers who play World of Warcraft to get new content for L2.
A game that counts 2 servers for Us+Eu, should be put down immediately,
if its not rocking the s*** out of everyone.

i have been hacked and scammed in WoW and in 3 hours everything was settled as if it never happened. with (hold on to your seats!!) a LIVE person talking to me ingame and helping me restore the theft.

i have been hacked in L2, and honestly, i didnt even email them.
not worth it. Too much drama on phonecalls, emails, responding after 3 days etc..
Kaizerpilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:42 AM   #20
Hyperlite
Remnant Diabolist

Hyperlite will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiki View Post
antivirus is scanning hard drives as well...memory too....what do you think is Gameguard doing ? Its rootkit as well...just it does realy not what it is supposed to do..
Actually, an anti-virus program that scans your harddrive does not send reports back to the companies main servers for further analysis, hence u can run a scan while not connected to the internet. you can also select what and where it scans. you only need the ineternet connection to update the definition list of viruses.

the l2.ru program, as far as i understand it, allows the full system scan results to be sent back to the parent company for further analysis. you can not close off any folders or sub folders from being looked at. any info on your computer can be seen by the parent company, this is not the case with any anti-virus software currently on the market that people use, so no it isnt the same thing.

also, gamegaurd is not going into each and every folder analyzing what is in it, it prevents the game from loading when a set criteria is not met, or if that criteria is altered during gameplay it will close the client, nothing more. so it is also not the same thing as what the l2.ru serice is using.

A legit, long time player's stance on the new ban policy
Hyperlite is offline   Reply With Quote