Lineage II Forums  
Go Back   Lineage II Forums > Lineage II Discussion > Dev Corner

Login

Dev Corner Questions and answers from the people behind the scenes of Lineage II. Only mods can start threads in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Juji
Associate Producer

Juji has a reputation beyond reputeJuji has a reputation beyond reputeJuji has a reputation beyond reputeJuji has a reputation beyond reputeJuji has a reputation beyond reputeJuji has a reputation beyond reputeJuji has a reputation beyond reputeJuji has a reputation beyond reputeJuji has a reputation beyond reputeJuji has a reputation beyond reputeJuji has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dev Director Q&A - Questions Thread

Hello Everyone,

We are happy to announce that the Lineage II Development Director,Gon Namkung, has agreed to a special interview for NCWest and will be answering player questions that get posted in this thread. Feel free to ask constructive questions about general Lineage II information and the next big update Lindvior.

The Dev Director Questions thread will remain open for 1 week, until Thursday, March 7. At that time the thread will be closed, the questions will be collected, and sent out to Gon Namkung to answer. We'll give an ETA for the Answers thread around that time as well.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Yidao
Remnant Diabolist

Yidao is just really niceYidao is just really niceYidao is just really niceYidao is just really nice
Default Re: Dev Director Q&A - Questions Thread

First of all congratulations for having survived the crisis in December!

I see that you intend to revive the Powerbook Wikipedia:
http://lineage2.plaync.co.kr/board/g...ticleId=535457
Wouldn't it be more cost efficient if people like GM Kashinel wrote things like the the drop lists for the new high grade materials directly into the Powerwiki instead of compiling hand-made lists:
http://lineage2.plaync.co.kr/board/g...ticleId=535434
Setting up a GM Room is a good idea (NCTaiwan has something like this since many years) but there seems to be some double work at the moment

Last edited by Yidao; 02-28-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
Yidao
Remnant Diabolist

Yidao is just really niceYidao is just really niceYidao is just really niceYidao is just really nice

As you know, the introduction of a free-to-play system up to lvl 85 in Korea has led to a noticeable increase of automatically hunting characters:
http://lineage2.plaync.co.kr/board/g...ticleId=535457

Wouldn't it be time to rethink the "Totally Free" philosophy at NCWest and introduce for example a moderate account creation fee of 50 dollars, which gets converted into NCoins? This would make botting less profitable, our GMs, who insist on hunting bots manually instead of adopting far more cost-efficient automated garbage disposal methods, would not work in vain, and you would get people hooked on the NC Store from day one
Old 03-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #4
Linnda
Beleth's Slave

Linnda is a name known to allLinnda is a name known to allLinnda is a name known to allLinnda is a name known to allLinnda is a name known to allLinnda is a name known to all

What happens to the Iss Judicator after the update?

What happens to all characters who used the SoD before the Lindvoir update.

Linnda: (Aeore Cardi/Iss Heiro 95/90/80/80)
Old 03-01-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
Yidao
Remnant Diabolist

I was greatly amazed to read what our esteemed Producer Cryo wrote about "more changes will be made to the clan war system in the next major update Lindvior":
http://boards.lineage2.com/showthread.php?t=253754
Somehow I can't find these changes in the Lindvior patch notes:
http://power.plaync.co.kr/lineage2/%...8A%A4%ED%85%9C
On the contrary, since you put the HP+CP restoring potions in the item store last week, I had the impression that you are deliberately inciting clan wars as a means to increase your revenue:
http://www.inven.co.kr/board/powerbb...idx=390&l=1028

Could you please help me out here and explain what exactly the changes to the clan war system in Lindvior will be?
Old 03-01-2013, 05:26 AM   #6
Yidao
Remnant Diabolist

Have you already decided whether we will get the missing parts from the Echo patches (the upgraded Aden Cemetery, the removal of S-Grade items from the Luxury Shop in Giran ...) before Lindvior, or will it all be wrapped into one big update?

On a similar note, there have been countless patches to Lindvior after it went live on October 31. Have you already decided which patch state we will get? With or without Lindvior 2, i.e. the Dimensional Cross-Server War?

Cryo said that NCWest is planning their major update schedule at least 6 months in advance:
http://boards.lineage2.com/showthread.php?t=253754
On the other hand he does not seem to know very much about what we will get. There is a bit of a discrepancy here. When will you send the next patch to NCWest for localization? If I understand right what Cryo said about "we try to keep the translation as close as possible to the original Korean meaning", the translating is done in the USA? Isn't it a bit optimistic when our Producer tells us to "look out for the update before the end of the first half of the year" and they still haven't started on the work yet?

Could you help alleviate my confusion by giving at least a rough update schedule until Lindvior 1 or 2?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
AndreasK
Remnant Diabolist

AndreasK is on a distinguished road

The augmentation system seems to has some great disappointments, especially when it comes down to skills. Getting a skill is hard (often expensive) to get; getting a good skill is even harder. So far I have experienced:

-Using an R-grade Life stone on R-grade weapon, the result was a skill acquired by a character at 66 level (useless of course for an 85+ character).
-Skills that literally never land, like silence in PvP (thoroughly tested both versions of chance and trigger)

Is the augmentation system working as intended or some unexpected glitches may occur?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
Laby
Valakas

Laby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of light

1) How the Tersi crisis, where the clan LegendO***ight bullied a lot of small clans, impacted the Lineage II department in Korea ? Several threads seems to be removed from your Lineage II board, and Inven website got an article which was sometime not available (removed)
http://www.inven.co.kr/board/powerbb...idx=390&l=1016

2) Gameguard is a program doing a great job regarding password security against keyloggers / trojan and such programs. The vast majority of Lineage II players in South Korea is playing from Internet Café if I am right, I can totally understand the need for such a program. However, Gameguard proves that it is not providing any protection against automated players (often called bots) which is de facto normal since it is not Gameguard role. Do you consider using something else, or something in addition to Gameguard to help protect your server and NCSoft image against those automated characters ? While a manual hunt will be very efficient, it is really time consuming and will burn a lot of hours for a team which could use this time for doing something else, like updating the PowerBook

3) Do you consider introducing more lore with the new updates ?

4) Is there any plan to make the Elven village alive again ?

Last edited by Laby; 03-01-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Linnda
Beleth's Slave

Linnda is a name known to allLinnda is a name known to allLinnda is a name known to allLinnda is a name known to allLinnda is a name known to allLinnda is a name known to all

What details can you give us about changes made to the Kamael Race? I'm kinda curious to see what you guys do with such a restricted race in terms of class choice.

Linnda: (Aeore Cardi/Iss Heiro 95/90/80/80)
Old 03-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
Yidao
Remnant Diabolist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laby View Post
1) How the Tersi crisis, where the clan LegendO***ight bullied a lot of small clans, impacted the Lineage II department in Korea ? Several threads seems to be removed from your Lineage II board, and Inven website got an article which was sometime not available (removed)
http://www.inven.co.kr/board/powerbb...idx=390&l=1016
Director Namgung, I also have a question about the Tersi Crisis:
Do you have an idea who repeatedly reported Inven.co.kr over several weeks as an "attack site" so that browsers would not display the article? That was quite unusual.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #11
Colorado
Banned

Colorado will become famous soon enough

In NA servers we have a considerable number of R99 +16 blessed weapons / +9 R99 blessed sets due to "NC-Promos". I don't know if these destruction scrolls exist in Korea / how to get then in Korea.
When developers create updates, they consider the "super-man" players?

Why a group of hero with +16 weapons and +9 armor sets can't kill the "old" big boss Trasken and can easy defeat the "new" boss Tauti? Exist any plans to new version of trasken for "regular players" with they +5 armors and +6 weapons?

The fog implemented in High Five really lag my obsolete video card (intel embeed graphic card), I already set the option "weather effects" to "none" and this fog still in my game, exist any plans to move the "fog of lag" to "weather" settings and players can leave the fog from game?

Any plans to revamp Hellbound?

Kartia Solo (all), any plans to remove the first and the second party of this instance? (In this time, players need "wait" 20 min to the "walking dead" npc's come to die, and the fight inside the instance is no more great than 10 min.)
Old 03-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
Shear
Tainted Zombie

Shear is an unknown quantity at this point

1) Are there any plans for more content geared towards groups of people of a size smaller than a party (2-4 for example)? Currently the vast majority of social activities require a full 7 person party.

2) Are there any plans for more content where players of varying levels could participate? It can be disheartening for new players that they can't play with their established friends due to level difference.

3) Are there any plans for the improvement of the party matching system? On some of our servers the only efficient way of playing the game is with a so called constant party, as finding a "random" party can be time consuming and uncertain. People either don't know how to use the party matching system or don't want to play with strangers.

Last edited by Shear; 03-01-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
Laby
Valakas

Laby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of lightLaby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shear View Post
3) Are there any plans for the improvement of the party matching system? On our servers the only efficient way of playing the game is with a so called constant party, as finding a "random" party can be time consuming and uncertain. People either don't know how to use the party matching system or don't want to play with strangers.
You may want to edit your sentence and specify that it happens on some servers. I use the party matching daily on Naia, and while I can get several surprises sometime, most of the time it's ok
Old 03-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
Yunalesca
Antharas

Yunalesca is a jewel in the roughYunalesca is a jewel in the roughYunalesca is a jewel in the rough

1) With the previous expansions of Lineage 2, namely Tauti/Glory days/Echo we have observed several features to be added sooner (or later) to that expansion, for example the change of Wynn summoners from 4 to 2 servitors or the Blacksmith at gludin airship field still not trading 2 lower grade swords for an higher grade Dual sword.
With the coming of Lindvior Chapter will NC still introduce patches to the North American version for diferent chapters, on a diferent sequence compared to the Korean version? What are the reasons behind these "out of place" changes?
We L2NA players are often guided by what the Korean Developers present and we often prepare to adapt to the next patches, but it is a great bother when "ninja patches" are applied and not listed previously to be of players knowledge.

2) Will the new beauty shop, that's coming in lindvior, be progressively extended with the addition of more faces and hairstyles on more future updates? Is your team thinking on adding more hair colours to the game aswell? I believe a lot of people would apreciate greatly feeling more unique with their character, and with the comeback of the classes, it would be a great "combo" of apealing to the players.

3) Are there new measures being taken to make the game run smoother? With Godess of destruction expansion there has been many animations, heavily consuming and "floody" that makes the game run much slower on Mass PVP, will there be any improvements?

4) One of the summoner mechanics that mostly annoys Wynn summoner players is the servitor delays. You adapted the game to be faster-paced, classes can reach highest cast speed and atk speed full time. For a player to be competitive as a summoner, one needs to react fast, unfortunately the servitors are incredibly delayed for a fast reaction, speciallly while they attack targets (this is valid for all 3 servitors: bear, reaper and cougar). Another problem is when you try to press a skill various times when target is out of range, the servitor will not respond and come back-and-forth making it very ineficient.
We summoners find that the servitors should react the moment you press a key in any situation (unless disabled ofc) like any character is able to, is this current mechanic a current intended feature of L2 or do you intend to change the servitors to better adapt to the current fast-paced game?

5) Will fortresses be added to important areas or have them moved to territories where is more filled with players? The fortresses regions are very empty..few players use them since the important content is focused on 85+.

Last edited by Yunalesca; 03-07-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #15
Maya1
Tainted Zombie

Maya1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

1) Any plans about adopting Lineage 2 a bit towards the NA servers? For example in our servers no one does the majority of the campaigns, because they require a lot of people. It will be grate if some features are created for our servers with some special patches. Our server population is lower and we need some help with that. The whole siege system and campaign system seems to be not suitable for our servers.

2) What are your plans about the Grand Olympiad and the Ceremony of Chaos? In our forums we had a lot of discussion about the imbalance in these wonderful PvP events, especially coming from some classes like Aore Healer and Siegel Knight. Also we have huge abilities for teaming up in these events and "feeding" points and heroes when the servers are lower populated. Recently, there is a new problem in CoC - it is hard to sign up.

3) I have heard the automated play in Korea is not very popular, but we have a huge problem which GameGuard can not solve. We have a lot of Real Life Money Traders, bots, farming bots, and even 3rd party program users for PvP. The main enemy of the normal player is a program called z Ranger. Are there any plans for better protection from 3rd party programs that allow automatic play and advantage in PvP?

4) I am personally interested in what direction the Feohs are going after the Lindvior update. So far the 4 new Feohs have little differences. It will be interesting to know what new skills are planned to be implemented in Feoh Archmage, Feoh Soultaker and etc, so we can have a clear vision about the path of the classes, before we chose what kind of Feoh we want to play.

5) The game lacks a lot of content for 85 +. Are there any plans for revamping some zones. For instance bringing back the Catacombs will be very interesting. I loved doing Festivals, grind in Catacombs and etc. Also it seems there are not many open field raid bosses. It will be great to see the old Lilith and Anakim and to experience again the PvP for it. In general I miss the old Seven Signs. We also greatly lack content for players that are level 99. And we have a huge separation of the player base. You can barely see players level 99 in the hunting fields and partying with those that are under level 99.

Thank you in advance
Old 03-02-2013, 05:47 AM   #16
LordOfSpoil
Heathen Knight

LordOfSpoil is on a distinguished road

Hi Mr. Gon Namkung.

I would have some questions what I would share to 3 parts. Item, PvP and Present/Future updates.

Items:
1. As you did create to us the Blessed weapons and armors what are very expensive ones and their upgrade cost even more times expensive too.
Example I got a Blessed Amaranthine Dual Dagger, what was alone too very expensive, but its upgrade cost will more expensive.
If a player want to put on it Second Special Ability and PvP or PvE bonus they need minimum 15 billion of Adena, while a hardcore player who farm in the best hunting zones able to get daily 100 or in lucky situation 200 million of Adena. So we have to farm about daily 8-10 hours for a weapon like this through a half year and after this as we talk about Blessed weapon players plan to over enchant them also what will more expensive again.
So how do you plan to support those players who get a weapon like this?
Will these weapons or armors remain as top item and upgradeable items 1-2 years later too?
(In older update like from Chaotic Chronicle 5 to Chaotic Throne 3.3 the Draconic Bow or Angel Slayer remain as top weapon what is 3 years)

2. We did read and hear about, that the Unidentified items will disappear from the game, also we could read, that the Blessed item craft will disappear too.
Will we able to get Blessed item after the Lindvior Update if yes how?
What will happen with the current Blessed item?

3. Will only the Tyrr Maestro able to craft after the Lindvior update or every dwarf what as created before the Glory Days update will be able to keep their craft ability and recipe books?

PvP:
1. The awakened classes mainly the Enchanter and Healer type classes has a lots of Celestial type and "runaway type" skills what will they can make the PvP sometimes boring, also they have too many massive heal type skills, what results additionally the PvP more longer and often to more boring too.
Do you plan to remove or modify these skills?

2. Since the Goddess of Destruction in our and as I see on the Korean servers too, mainly the 7vs7 PvP the popular. While before we could attack a full party with small group or in solo too and if we were good we were able to win.
Do you plan to give more fun in PvP for those who mainly enjoy to PvP alone or in small groups?

3. In the Goddess of Destructions many classes got a lots of new AOE skills, what on high details looks very nice, but often in mass PvP they are very annoying first of all if we have to use low details.
Do you plan to take back the old skill effects to the game?

4. Through the augmenting process available to Passive and Active Reflect Damage ability what together results 40% reflect damage, by my experience this makes to really unbalanced the Olympiad Games first of all, because to get these Augment players just has low chance some players use 2 Life Stones and get it, while another use 5.000 Life Stones and nothing.
I often experience, that on Class Base Olympiad often my opponent able to win over me, because the Reflect Damage.
But also problematic the situation if I make Olympiad against Healers. They just cast up the Reflect Damage buff to themselves and enough for them just spam the Panic Heal and I die by my own damage.
But situation is the worst at the Sigel Knights. They have 10% passive reflect damage, while they has 15 sec 25% reflect damage buff and if they get both the reflect damage augment it is totaally 80% reflect damage and from this 55% as passive reflect for them. So often impossible to kill them, while the hit and run strategy work hard too.
Do you plan to remove or at least drastically decrease the effect of the Reflect Damage skills and augments?

5. Othell Rogues has very weak resistance against Physical and Magical debuffs.
Do you plan increase the debuff resistance of the Rogue type classes?

Present/Future update:
1. Korea got the Lindvior update in November of 2012. So might be another update soon will release there.
Can you share with us some details, what will the main things what you plan to add or modify in the update what will follow the Lindvior Update?

2. By my experience the different regions/communities of Lineage II has much fewer connection with each other as example another video game communities has.
Do you plan to add or organize world wide tournaments where the best Korean, NA, Japanese etc players will be able to fight against each other?

3. I did read some negative comment on Korean, NA, European and Russian forums about the graphic design of the new armors and about 1-1 hunting grounds.
While players wrote about the Armors, that they are too Sci-Fi or fairy type, until first of all at Taiwan the players thinks, that some of places are too depressive, while the NA players thinks some places are too fairy.
Will you try to follow the old type armor/hunting zone design now as you return to the classical game play?
Do you plan to add maybe special armor editor to the game or release different armor skins in the L2 Store what the players for NCoins will able to buy and make their characters to more unique?

4. The Lineage 2 even the most beautifully designed MMORPG, but it doesn't support the DirectX 11 neither the newest processors.
Do you plan to upgrade the engine somehow?
If yes, How the present technology let you, that make the upgrades and about how much time necessary for this development?

5. I found a map what says it is the full world map of the world of Lineage II:
http://archive.l2portal.com/Maps/Ter...ompleteMap.gif
this map says there are huge lands at the Eastern and Northern parts of the the world map what are still isn't in game. Also it say there are a lots of islands too, we can find Korean texts on the map, so might be it isn't a "fan made map".
By this map we only play about on the 40% of the world map.
When will these huge and new areas appear in the game?

6. The story of the Lineage 2 says, that there are two races what should become to playable race in the future.
When do you plan to add these races?

7. I did experience in the last time, that more and more girl/woman become to Lineage 2 player, by my experiences about 25-30% of the NA/EU/Russia Lineage 2 communities are female players (As I saw the video about your interview from Russia, there was a lots of female players too who asked questions from you) also I did read, that Korea and Taiwan has huge amount of female users.
How do you plan to support the growing number of the female players?
What are their requests about the development of the game?

8. What are your future plans with the Lineage 2, how do you imagine the game some years later?

Last edited by LordOfSpoil; 03-05-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #17
PimpMyBow
Remnant Diabolist

PimpMyBow will become famous soon enoughPimpMyBow will become famous soon enough

Fantasy Isle is still useless in here, do you plan to add better rewards or make changes to the whole Isle?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #18
Sitch
Elpy

Sitch is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you planning to do raid bosses more interesting ? I mean to bring fights for raids back ? because at the moment people don't fight for the raids and party who kills the raid is the party who can stay longer awake ... And you can't PK them because chaotic state is unbelievable, ty
Old 03-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #19
hivitro
Purgatory Shadow

hivitro is on a distinguished road

1 | There is planned to extend the maximum level of 99 for the characters, especially when they are 99/99, with a bonus level, o a new top level?

2 | As the economy change with the removal of bound items?
There are changes in the quantity of items and adena drop now?

3 | Can incorporate an option to avoid seeing fog effects like teredor or generated by Rage Aura in Sigels?
Really affect the game negatively these effects
Old 03-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #20
Yidao
Remnant Diabolist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunalesca View Post
... but then again going to the other extreme does not help either (guilotine fortress/ horrendous monsters spawn everywhere..).
That's an important point. Director Namkung, as you probably know, the Chinese trade name for Lineage 2 is 天堂 2, "Paradise". A (presumably male) Chinese player recently wrote that with the last updates there is no more "paradise" to be seen in the game, it's not the old Lineage 2 feeling any more. Wouldn't it make economic sense to invest into hiring an outside artist who might come up with a monster design that goes beyond ever more spikes, claws and teeth?

With the present preference for ugliness (the picture is from the upgraded Lindvior Orcland) you are alienating a considerable part of your player base.
Closed Thread